Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhp3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I would've stayed away from this one. I think you have plenty of feedback from that particular thread. I wouldn't even have considered this drive.

good luck.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If he's like me, you see a good deal about something, buy it, then later search the forums for it and have that "ahh ****" moment. lol.

That said, I've used WD 1 TB drives with my Macbook Air - no problem, along with a 320 GB My Passport drive (for TimeMachine backups).

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
I never dreamt that there would be issues with drives. I actually thought that there would be little to choose between manufacturers. I normally research and buy, and this was an impulse buy when I got a 10% voucher for ebay [which I could have just as well used for a Seagate or WD drive].

Trying to get the seller to send me s WD/Seagate, and I'll pay the difference.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Seller agreed to cancel and refund the order. Looking at a Seagate GoFelx 1TB.

Can someone warn me if it's another dud please?

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
in the thread you linked they say that usb3 drives don't work on MBA, but that's not true.
I have a 1tb verbatim external hdd which works fine with mba.
It obviously doesn't have the usb3 speed since mba has no usb3, but it works normally.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
in the thread you linked they say that usb3 drives don't work on MBA, but that's not true.
I have a 1tb verbatim external hdd which works fine with mba.
It obviously doesn't have the usb3 speed since mba has no usb3, but it works normally.

That particular drive has issues with the MBA, I think.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
ITB drive for MBA

I use a 1.5 TB external HD form Freecom with MBA - is has USB 3 and works faultlessly and very fast - It is made of Magnessium material which matches the appearance of the MBA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.