Just Ordered an iMac - Is Panther Pre-installed????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ~Shard~, Nov 23, 2003.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've heard of a lot of systems sitting in the warehouse still with Jaguar on them, old stock, etc., and I was just wondering if I'll be getting Panther pre-installed on my new system (ordered an iMac today on the Apple Store!) or if it will have Jaguar pre-installed with Panther discs included? I know it doesn't really matter, but there's something about having a nice, fresh install of Panther on my brand new system first thing, wihtout having to do anything. :)

Just curious - I'm kind of assuming by now, everything is Panther...

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Did you read the installed application/OS list when you made the order?;)

But of course, if you ordered it after the release of Panther, you shall recieve it preinstalled.

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks

That's what I figured - my apologies for the stupid quesiton. ;) I just have heard of some people buying Macs (and perhaps this is just in physical stores with physical old inventory) and receiving machines with Jag pre-loaded and a couple Panther discs stuck in the box.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about though! :cool:

4. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Assuming you bought the latest revision, and not the "old" models (the ones being sold in the "refurb" section along with the G3 iBooks) then you are guaranteed Panther.....if it is a previous model, then its anyone's guess (I would assume 10.2 pre-loaded with the update discs tossed in).

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's good to know as well, I didn't know that was the case, but it makes sense. Not in my case though, as it was a nice, brand-new system from the Apple Store, so it's looks like I'll be getting Panther pre-instaled for sure!

Thanks again guys.

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Hey, no apologies neccessary...but do keep us informed upon arrival...just in case.;)

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Trust me, if Panther isn't pre-installed, you won't be the only people to hear about it immediately! ;)

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well if Jaguar is pre-installed then I can almost guarantee you that Apple will ship you a free copy of Mac OS X.3 (Panther). You have to pay the $19.99 shipping fee though.

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm hoping this isn't the case, since Panther has been out for a while now and Apple has even updated the OS icon on the store to reflect the new Panther discs. Stranger things have happened though, I suppose...

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have seen new Macs arrive, where Jaguar was pre-installed.
    But the resllers threw in a couple of Panther Upgrade CD's. Good idea too.

11. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Apple doesn't always get around to pre-installing the newest operating system on its systems when its still close to the release date. When I bought my 17" G4 iMac a week after Jaguar came out, OS X 10.1 was preinstalled and they just tossed in the Jaguar update CDs right in the box. So you'll be guaranteed that you'll get Panther somehow without even having to pay the $20 upgrade fee, but it may not be preinstalled.

However, at this point, since it's a month after Panther came out (to the day), it's highly likely that it will be preinstalled, especially since Apple's iMac page says that Panther is preinstalled. (In fact, even the Powerbook page says that Panther is preinstalled with them, despite the fact that they're the only Apple products not to have been updated after Panther was announced.)

12. iDean macrumors newbie

I bought the 1.25 ghz 17" flat-panel iMac on the release day of panther, it took exactly five business days for them to build and ship my order from Ireland to England. The build was required as i opted for an extra gig of ram. Apple shipped panther update discs in the box,

I was quite happy about that as with it being my first mac i wanted to try Jaguar first anyway.

The extended delay on panther delivery in the UK meant i had panther on my new iMac while the rest of England (who had pre-ordered) had to wait.

Is anybody still waiting for their Royal Mail delivery? lol.