Just ordered dell 2005fpw... did i make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sharky II, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502

Sharky II

Jan 6, 2004
    United Kingdom

I was going to buy a dell 2005fpw for £316 UK until i found out it was a refurb, and read terrible things about backlight bleed etc. I saw dell UK online selling it for £381 (that's $670... a far cry from the deals you guys have in the USA), so i bought it rather hastily.

I wanted a dual display setup, so this will live next to my LG 17inch tft.

I am now getting nervous as it's so much money, and another 17inch tft would have only been £150ish.

Is the dells extra 3 inches and widescreen form really worth the extra cash, or is my nervousness justified?

2. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
    You will NOT be disappointed with the 2005FPW. I love all the other inputs and the amazing clarity of the screen itself. I love mine! :)
  3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I think you made the right decision. The 2005FPW is a pretty nice Monitor I don't think you will regret it. Just wait until you have your new setup up and running with that new monitor and I'm sure you will be glad you got the 20"er rather then the 17" Monitor. If you don't like it you can always return it, or..

...give it to me as a gift (I would be willing to pay for shipping!)
  4. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    You have to realize that that 3" is actually quite the overall percentage increase. It is a major difference. Widescreen format is awesome for general work and the monitor is also great for entertainment, watching movies. I can use it for logic really well and take a break and watch movies from some distance. Great screen overall.
  5. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    It's not about 3 inches and widescreen. It's about 1680x1050 resolution compared to your previous 1024x768 or 1280xwhatever. The pixels are what make a difference, and that difference is considerable. Not to mention the fact that you're getting a much higher color quality with the Dell.
  6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I regretted buying mine when I did, until it came. Wow. That's all I can say. I upgraded from a 17" CRT, and this is amazing. I work on my Powerbook and Cube with the 2005FPW at the same time, and the 2005FPW puts my Powerbook screen to shame. It's incredibly bright and crisp, and today when i was working on large Photoshop files, I was really glad for those extra three inches and much higher resolution.

Trust me, you'll love it.
  7. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2003
    I bought my first 2005fpw for $645 a year ago, and I still think it was a pretty good deal ($100 coupon). It had some backlight problems, but only noticable when watching movies. There were also two stuck pixels, one green and one red/blue. The green was the only one slightly noticable, and only when the screen is black. I still don't consider it bad.

When the price went down to $350 a month ago, I jumped on it! I'm selling my "old" display to my roommate (for ~$315). This one is a tad better on the backlight, and has one dead green sub-pixel (barely noticable unless you're really looking for it with an all green/yellow background).

With it being a refurb, you might get a stuck/dead pixel or two, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. All LCDs are equally capable of getting them (yep, even Apple displays). I think you'll enjoy it when it comes :)
  8. mikesjo macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2005
    Vancouver, B.C.
    You won't be disappointed, it's an amazing looking lcd :). My friend and I both have one and so far no problems. I've had mine for almost 6 months.
  9. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    You won't regret it one bit. If you have to call Dell service though you'll regret it, since monitors don't come with precious "service tags" and therefore require you to get thrown around between different phone departments for hours before getting an answer.
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I went from a 21" CRT to a 20" LCD, I don't regret it AT ALL! I am considering getting the 24" or a second 20"
  11. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2004
    the 2005fpw is a great display and I consider it a great deal for being under $400.

I own one and plan to buy another soon. No issues with the one I've owned (going on 6 months).