Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abdm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I finally did it, I ordered the Mac Pro!!!

Mac Pro With the following configuration:

Processor 0656352 2.66 GHz Quad Xeon
Memory 0656358 2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC4x512
Graphics Card 0656363 ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Hard Drive Bay1 0656367 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
Hard Drive Bay2 0656742 None
Hard Drive Bay3 0656743 None
Hard Drive Bay4 0656744 None
Optical Drive 0656251 16x SuperDrive DL
Wireless Option 0656725 Airprt Extrm and BT 2.0EDR
Modem 0656455 None
Fibre Chl Card 0656285 None
Keyboard Language 0656280 Apple Kybd and Wrls Mgty Ms
Mac SVR OS Language 0655988 None
Apple Software Applications 0656419 None
Mac OS Language 0656245 Mac OS X
Country Kit 0656244 Country Kit
Applecare

I also ordered a 24inch Dell Monitor.

I'm hoping that monitor will be nice, I haven't seen one in person. Has anyone used one and how is it? I also currently have a 21inch Gateway HD LCD, so I'm going to setup a dual display with the 24inch and the 21 inch.

How accurate is the estimated ship date? I ordered the machine with 2nd day shipping, so I hope I get it this week.

Does anyone have a good suggestions for speakers for the mac pro? I was going to order the JBL Creature II 2.1 Speakers, does anyone know anything about them?

I only ordered the Mac Pro with 2GB or ram to try and save money, am I going to regret this? I've got a Powerbook G4 12inch now with 1.25 gigs of memory and I'm always running out, I'm hoping 2gigs will be enough. I guess I can always order another 1 gig or 2 gigs online.

Any other suggestions, I'm hoping I configured this correctly.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm very excited :).

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2GB will be fine. Wait for the memory prices to come down.

The Dell 24" is ok. I didn't like it because mine had the banding problems and the colors werent very accurate. So I went to a 23" ACD.

If what you are doing doesn't require color accuracy. The Dell will be fine.

Enjoy your Mac Pro. I love mine.

abdm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hey,

I ordred the 2407, which I think fixed the color banding. Do you know anything about that version?

abdm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
It took a lot of going to the apple site and creating a cart with everything, seeing the total and then closing the window :(. Today I findally clicked the 'place order' button :).

I can't wait to get it now :).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
abdm said:
It took a lot of going to the apple site and creating a cart with everything, seeing the total and then closing the window :(. Today I findally clicked the 'place order' button :).

I can't wait to get it now :).

maybe i'll be that brave one day very soon*;)

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Congratulations. You'll be fine with 2GB unless you're doing significant video production/image manipulation work. And of course, as you said, you can always add more later.

I'll be curious to hear your review of the 2407.

Edit: Those JBL speakers will knock your socks off. Good choice, I'd say. For more on speakers, check out the Mac Peripherals forum or MRoogle speakers. Your should find some good advice.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
abdm said:
Hey,

I ordred the 2407, which I think fixed the color banding. Do you know anything about that version?

The old 240 didnt have the banding issues. There are multiple revisions on the 2407.

It was present in the A00 and A01 revision. Dell said they fixed it with the A02, they did... sorta. There are different modes on the 2407. Like Multimedia, Desktop, Gaming. They fixed the problem in the desktop mode.

However, it was most assuredely not fixed. I had an A02 and it had the banding problem.

There is supposedly an A03 revision floating around. Where most problem are fixed. Here is a large thread about the monitor. That would be a good place to read about what people are experiencing.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1064124&page=25&pp=20

My recommendation, if you get an A02, send it back and demand an A03.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
suneohair said:
Wait for the memory prices to come down.
The prices might've come down in the future if Intel and AMD hadn't cut FB-DIMMs from their roadmaps. The need for FB-DIMMs will be very limited and thus will be produced in very small quantities creating high lot prices. I think the price for FB-DIMMs could quite possibly be higher a year from now than they are right now.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
topgunn said:
The prices might've come down in the future if Intel and AMD hadn't cut FB-DIMMs from their roadmaps. The need for FB-DIMMs will be very limited and thus will be produced in very small quantities creating high lot prices. I think the price for FB-DIMMs could quite possibly be higher a year from now than they are right now.

Possibly. We will just have to wait and see. I am going to stick with 2GB as I think that will do me fine for awhile.

I would expect prices to come down though. Eventually of course :D

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
suneohair said:
There is supposedly an A03 revision floating around. Where most problem are fixed. Here is a large thread about the monitor. That would be a good place to read about what people are experiencing.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1064124&page=25&pp=20

My recommendation, if you get an A02, send it back and demand an A03.
I just ordered a 2407 Friday. Should be here towards the end of this week. I'm really hoping for the A03 revision, because I did a bit of reading about the earlier problems.

I also read, though, that because Dell claimed to have fixed the problems with the A02 version and not the A03, those that are getting the A02 aren't being allowed to swap it for an A03. Hopefully that changes if they are actually experiencing the issues, but it would be nice, too, if you could avoid the problems altogether by exchanging an A02 with an A03 right from the get.

To the OP: I have the Creature II's as well and they're great. I'm not an audiophile or anything, but to me they sound perfect. It's really amazing the sound that comes out of such tiny speakers! I'd go for it. I found them cheapest at Amazon, btw.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
I just ordered a 2407 Friday. Should be here towards the end of this week. I'm really hoping for the A03 revision, because I did a bit of reading about the earlier problems.

I also read, though, that because Dell claimed to have fixed the problems with the A02 version and not the A03, those that are getting the A02 aren't being allowed to swap it for an A03. Hopefully that changes if they are actually experiencing the issues, but it would be nice, too, if you could avoid the problems altogether by exchanging an A02 with an A03 right from the get.

To the OP: I have the Creature II's as well and they're great. I'm not an audiophile or anything, but to me they sound perfect. It's really amazing the sound that comes out of such tiny speakers! I'd go for it. I found them cheapest at Amazon, btw.

I like the JBL encounters personally. They match my Mac pro with the apple mouse and keyboard very well. They sound great too. I got them for $30 on eBay. Refurbished with a 1yr warranty to boot.

Monyx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
abdm said:
I only ordered the Mac Pro with 2GB or ram to try and save money, am I going to regret this?
Dual CPU/bus of the MacPro does appear to need more memory than any other Mac. Witness the requirements for Aperture 1.5 : 2Gb for MP but only 1GB for all other Macs.

2GB seems to be the minimum to attain efficient performance from MP so you will ok. 3-4Gb is recommended if you're doing substantial work in PPC apps under Rosetta.

swingline

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
suneohair said:
I like the JBL encounters personally. They match my Mac pro with the apple mouse and keyboard very well. They sound great too. I got them for $30 on eBay. Refurbished with a 1yr warranty to boot.

huh? the white alien head/elongated egg speakers?

i bought the samsung 244t silver 24" monitor. color accuracy is great and have absolutely no problems with it.
also, i have the logitech z-2300 speakers paired with my mac pro. sounds great, especially while playing movies or xbox360. If you like bass, get this. and it matches nicely with the mac pro and monitor.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
My sister has the Creature II Speakers, and although they look awesome, their not exactly easy to work with. The power button is on the back of the sub, which means the sub has to be on the desk for you to access it easily, which means you lose a lot of your bass.
If you have a really solid, thick desk, this isn't as much of a problem.

Congrats on your new Mac!

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I purchased mine with the 1gig of ram Friday. Searching now for two 1 gig sticks. I'll go up to more later. Figured why pay an additional 300 for another 1 gig, when i can pay under 500 for 2 gigs.

abdm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
ljones said:
I purchased mine with the 1gig of ram Friday. Searching now for two 1 gig sticks. I'll go up to more later. Figured why pay an additional 300 for another 1 gig, when i can pay under 500 for 2 gigs.

Let me know where you decide to order two 1 gig sticks and how much it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.