Just ordered my 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nicoritschel, Jun 10, 2006.

1. nicoritschel macrumors regular

Wow, I'm so excited!! Can't wait till tuesday (one-day shipping).
    I start school September 5th, and I doubt Meroms will be introduced in new 'books by then. Even if they are, a 2.16 Core Duo will be more than fast enough for most stuff. Well, when CS 3 is released as a UB, it will be fast enough. (I do a ton of graphic design/moderate video editing) This is my first mac, although I used them in school quite a bit the year before last. Just sharing my excitement :D

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Wow spoiled kids getting MBP when regular people struggle to get a macbook.
    hahaha, jk. Make sure to buy some ram for that macbook pro and a good hard drive to back up your stuff.

What kind of graphic do you do?

3. nicoritschel thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm going to throw in another 1gb stick. I have a 300gb hard drive that I'm going to put into a fw800 enclosure :D

I mainly do web development, and a little print work. I haven't even designed my own site though :p

4. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Do not worry this thing is a beast I am writing on mine now.

5. nicoritschel thread starter macrumors regular

This question is a little late, but lexus, is it that bad carrying it around? I'm going to have to tote it around campus daily. I really need the extra screen real estate, though.

Oh, and does anyone have a list of good freeware programs? Thanks.

6. marchcapital macrumors regular

marchcapital

:eek: 17" for school! I hope your planning to treat it like a desktop? Im worried about a 15"...

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

17 is okay on bring it around school. Im gonna carry both a a tibook and a 17 mbp.

8. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

No it's fine carrying it around, I've had a 17" PowerBook before this 17" MacBook Pro. I'd recommend a bag that you can wear on your bag though, as opposed to a briefcase style one.

9. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Congrats on the new purchase. You'll love it. And welcome to the mac community. Let us know how it all works out.

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

17-inch is no problem carrying around, gives your muscles a nice workout.

11. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

It is not bad for carrying around, I use a sleeve. But if you are getting one would recommend a smaller computer for carrying around quickly, I use my MB or 15er.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Weightwise it's perfectly portable (muscles? workout? you weenies! Try a Dell ;) ) but I find the size just right for inadvertently bashing into things. Which is why it spends most of the time on my desk (and now sitting on the new iCurve :D ).

If you want something everyday portable, get a Macbook. The 17" is however a great transportable when you don't want to compromise between a desktop or a laptop. It's certainly the most productive laptop I've ever owned.

13. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I have trouble carrying this 15" around, jesus.
    You need a special bag for it, not just a normal backpack...since its a widescreen it doesn't fit in the same places a book does! (text book).

congradulations on the 17er though. :D