just ordered my first mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edvardta, May 19, 2005.

1. edvardta macrumors newbie

...but i have some questions that i hope can help me through the switch.

ordered the 12-inch powerbood with superdrive to replace my old 15-inch windows laptop.

The thing is that i have loads of stuff on that pc that i would like to transfer over to my new PB. Is it possible to link them together and just transfer files between them?

What about mails i have in outlook? Ordered office for mac, but is there a way of getting those mails into entourage?

Appreciate any help i can in making the switch easier..

2. iGary Guest

iGary

There is a program that will do it for you automatically, but I've heard mixed results, personally.

I'd pull off what you need manually onto a cd and manually put files on your PB that you need. My experience is the software programs that do it for you mess things up more than help.

3. edvardta thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be easy, but the cd-burner on my pc is not really cooperative. But if i link the two machines together in a small two-computer network somehow can´t i just do it by transfering like that...
    Heard it might work with using the firewire port on the pc and on the PB. is that true?

Have an ipod and expect the same problem there. Read that i have to restore the software, but then will lose all my 40 GB of music.

thanks for the tips on trying to avoid programs. Can´t wait for my PB to arrive, but fear the switch...

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I've got kind of a similar question. Is it possible to hookup a PC laptop to a mac via firewire and have the Mac essentially mount the PCs drive so that i can copy over files?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A Mac will read and write with a Windows iPod but not the other way round. Plugging the Windows iPod into the Mac will prompt a "Do you want to reformat?" question but just select "No" and it'll be fine. Make sure it's enabled for disk usage too though.

As for networking with ethernet/wireless etc.

Check here for a good guide. :)

Also, Entourage should be able to import Outlook files but I personally use Mail so I've never done this myself. I assume the same goes for contacts too.

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

You could connect them up through a network and just transfer the files manually. If you have an ipod/ external drive use that. Other than that you could try target disk mode but i think this only works mac to mac.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think so. Macs can be booted into Firewire Target Disk mode but I've never seen a PC that can do it. You could jsut connect them via an ethernet cable and transfer everything over that (tell the PC to share C:\ and mount it onto the Mac).

8. edvardta thread starter macrumors newbie

phew..at then my music is safe at least...

will look the the links later or when it´s more relevant. Ordered it no less than 30 min ago, so it´s still a few days before i get it....

Thanks for help

9. edvardta thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that quickly yesterday, but didn´t work. But probably didn´t have the settings correct. But if it´s that easy everything should be fine, might be problems with getting mails or contacts into entourage, but have other ideas how to do that....thought i´d sync with my phone and put from pc to phone and then from phone on to mac, have a dream that i will work