Just ordered PB what accessories are worth checking out

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 18, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2004
    Just ordered my PB and was wondering what some cool accessories would be. I saw a fan cooled platform for PB's somewhere and some protective skins that prevent scratching but I can't remember where. Is there anything else people would recommend taking a look at? Thanks.
  2. GiantsFan macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    san jose OR riverside, Cali
  3. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Definitely an external mouse. Also, If you'll be using it at home alot, I'd recommend getting an iCurve stand and an apple wireless keyboard. It's the deluxe setup, IMHO.
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Check out Radtech.us for their nice PB sleeve and screen saver.

Funny how people keep getting mouse and keyboard for their PB and iBook, is it really that bad? At this rate, maybe Apple will cash in and offer the default keyboard and touch pad as an option in the G5 notebooks.
  5. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Kensington Microsaver - if you are on the road or in the office and you need to lock you PB up.

Belken (or any other brand) retractable Ethernet and Phone cord - also for if you're on the road

I love my RoadTools Podium CoolPad - swivel goodness

RadTech ScreenSaverz and WildEeps - protect your baby

Wireless mouse/keyboard - nice to have - don't use mine all too often - on the road a lot.

4 x 5 Wacom Intuos Tablet - works like a mouse - only pressure sensitive. indispensible design tool

The protective skins are from MacSkinz but they are down for the time being - reorg process.

Almost forgot - download "SideTrack" - it's the reason I hardly eber use my mouse - it turns your trackpad into a scrolling and tapable tool!
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    definately need a good bag

i needed a mouse, and i must say apples wireless bluetooth one is great for what i need

i also got the wireless keyboard, because of the way my desk is set up, and because i do a lot of typing and after a while the pb keyboard wasnt what i needed, i needed the larger board with the num pad,ect

i would get your book and then use it for a while and see what you need, what feels right and what doesnt, i cant stand trackpads so after a day of trying to use the trackpad i was like "I need a mouse!"
  7. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2004
    thanks aricher, that was what I was looking for.
  8. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2004
    any idea when macskinz will be available again?
  9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    You're right! Like the Brenthaven Professional 15 or 17" bag! I love mine. Its so refined and sexy... so many pockets you'll have to buy more stuff to fill 'em... plus big padded shoulder straps and a soft comforting sleeve.... and lastly, it comes with a durable elitest attitude, that is sure to piss off others! Goddamn its a great bag!

10. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    No idea on the mcskinz reorg - the owner was on the forums here a few months ago saying it wouldn't be too much longer. Looking forward to seeing his new designs.

I second cr2sh's suggestion of the Brenhaven backpack - some people think it's boring but to me it doesn't scream "steal my expensive laptop." I have had tons of laptop bags in my life and have finally found the best - tons of room in this one, removeable sleeve, lifetime warranty, etc. - buy one.
  11. denm316 macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2003
  12. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    Check out the sleeves at waterfield designs: http://www.sfbags.com

I have one and they are fantastic.

MOST IMPORTANT ACCESSORY EVER! GET A SCREEN/KEYBOARD PROTECTOR! They are 12 bucks from otherworld computing and will keep scratches and grease off your monitor. Very important.
  13. locopano macrumors member

Aug 26, 2003
    Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
    Surge Protector
    Wireless Router with USbPrint Server built in
    Kensington Security Lock
    USB 2.0 8 in one reader writer with builtin USB2.0 HUB with long cord (that way you can run it behind your desk and hide every cord so that your desk is clutter free

All my desk will have is the icurve with the powerbook mounted on it and only onewire connected to it.. (either the power adaptor when it needs it, or the USB 2.0 Hubwhen i need it.for the reader or whatever..

i have a wirelless print server so no connections

its mad..

But yeah get a good surge protector and the wireless keyboard mouse and icurve before anything else.. if its a desktop replacement ... :D
  14. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    i find the one button mouse to be annoying, thus i further echo the suggestion to get a external mouse.
  15. locopano macrumors member

Aug 26, 2003
    yeah i shoudl have said get the LOGITECH MX DUO, the mouse isawesome to use.

And get an external FW800 (or at least 400 DONT GET USB2.0) case and chuck a HDD in there.That way if you need to do some serious editing wetc you can have all that stuff on the external HDD and leave the PB's internal HDD for your everyday surfing, word etc etc. Plus the FW enclosure makes it fast enought to run the video and audio in real time.. so its really good!
  16. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2004
    I already have a 160gb fw drive. What do people think about the keyboard skins? Do they do a good job protecting without causing the pb to get too hot? On my list are

1 gb ram(already ordered and suprisingly shipped within an hour)
    blue tooth mouse (don't know if I should wait for new models, don't want to spend $100 for a mouse)
    RadTech ScreenSaverz and WildEeps - expensive for gel stickers but a good idea
    Extreme base station (purchased with pb)
    I have more bags than I can count
    The macskinz look interesting, can't wait until they're available again

Is there any paint peeling with the new pb's?

Thanks for the help
  17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    A few sites to check out for cool stuff.

www.acmemade.com Cool bags and a few other things that are cool to look at.

www.radtech.us I have a PB Sleve on the way. Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait.

www.mareware.com Cool PB acessories. I like the keyboard cover. haven't had enough money to waste to get one yet though.

This may be obvious but....
    always a good source of new cool things: www.apple.com check out all the accesories, they have a good deal from 3rd party vendors.

I don't like the iSkin keyboard covers, but thats just personal preference.

Let us know what you come up with. I am always up for new PB accessories, and I am sure are man other MR folk.