Just ordered Spearhead...how is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Sep 20, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well I just ordered Medal of Honor Spearhead expansion, as it was only 10 bucks and it will complete my allied assault collection. However, what do you guys think of the game? What am I in for? I've heard it's better then Breakthrough, but worse then the original.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's good, as you said in-between the original and Breakthrough. However, it is quite short. And, there used to be a terrible Mac bug in one scene (halftracks in the snow) where the game became unplayable. In that scene I got less than 1 fps, while 40-90 was normal for me otherwise. This made it extremely difficult and frustrating to finish that level. Perhaps they've patched it to fix it by now, I dunno.

3. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I heard about the framerates in that game. I was hoping they patched it up. Hopefully they have :p

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Have to say, I love all the MOH games... Allied Assault, Spearhead and Breakthrough. Bought the Warchest: All 3 games, all including the latest patches (especially handy for those widescreen resolutions).
    MOH-AA is the best. The level described by HiRez in Spearhead had good framerates on my machine (Dual G5 with GeForce 6800 Ultra, so they'd better! :D ), but I found that part still unplayable.... after about 634 attempts I finally got through, and even then I was lucky :rolleyes:
    But, for the rest, it is excellent.

Also the COD games are great too. If you're into these WW II FPS, these 5 games in total, are a must have. :cool:
    MOH is less goodlooking than COD, but really gets ya involved.

5. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have Call of Duty + Expansion, great games!

However, I'm having a problem with Spearhead. I decided to use cheat codes to make the going a bit easier, but things got screwed up from there. When I quit the game and then relaunched it, it would skip all the intros and go right to the main menu with the console open. So I reinstalled it. Well, when I reinstalled it, the game was installed and even detected on gameranger, but it didn't have the application to launch it, so I couldn't play it. I'm reinstalling it right now, but if it doesn't work, do you guys know what I can do to fix this?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Spearhead was kind of a let-down for me. The new weapons are fun, but the scenarios just aren't as well-developed as Allied Assault. I found some to be downright dull. I think I played through the single player game only a couple of times, tried multiplayer for a bit, and then went back to AA multiplayer.

I didn't experience the framerate problem, but then I'm playing the game on my PC.

But for ten bucks you can't really go wrong...

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Are the newer MOH games coming to the Mac? I just finished European Assault on the PS2, and it's quite different. The missions are a lot less linear, with big open spaces and optional objectives. There's also a basic 'squad system' - it could have done with a few solo missions!

On the negative side, I thought the invincible "Adrenaline" mode was a naff idea, as were the big colourful icons that hover over your squadmates or any guns or ammo lying on the ground.

The spawning & object persistence is weird too, if you blow up a tank, the wreckage will disappear after a few seconds, so if you're hiding behind it - tough luck!

8. Catfish Jones macrumors member

Yep, watch the Half-track level. Snow, forest, you in the back of a Half-track with a mounted machine-gun.

I eventually gave-up after probably 100+ trys. It's still on my shelf, unfinished. Cross your fingers and hope they dumbed down that sequence/level in a patch.

Call of Duty is excellent. My computer cheaped out when I tryed to run the United Offense expansion...

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That was the level I was talking about... :(

You could also enable cheats just for that one cr@ppy level.