Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iMac display suffer from image persistence?

• Total voters

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Same here. With that said, like you, I hope that Apple get their stuff together. I don't want to buy an expensive new device and then having to hope that it'll work as intended. I should be able to expect it to work, not hope to be lucky.

Amen to that! You hit the nail on the head there. You shouldn't have to worry about a $3000 Mac being without flaws. You also shouldn't have to go searching for 4 leaf clovers and wishing upon the stars to be blessed by the Apple God's that you get lucky and get a "good" one... Sad.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I only hope and pray that this machine does not suffer from the awful image persistence issues that all 3 of the last iMacs I tried had
I can't imagine for the life of me why this has been an issue that has plagued iMacs going on now for over 3 years.

I shipped the iMac back to Apple today because yes indeed it does have "image persistence". After 4 years this is simply not acceptable. It does NOT happen on all 4k/5k panels by other manufacturers, as Apple would like you to believe. .... This is 4 machines in a row over a 3 year span that ALL do this (NOT RARE).

So I just got a 2nd late 2015 iMac and low and behold it too has the plague of image persistence. I cannot freaking believe it! 5 years running now this issue is still around and has not been fixed by Apple. They call it "normal" behavior, but it is not normal. I have had many many other IPS displays from other companies and they don't do it.

Okay, I'm trying to understand
• how many iMacs have you recently had? 2? 3? 4?
• its been going on for over 3 years, then its 4 years and now its 5 years...? what do you mean by this? or is it all exaggerative?
• if other IPS displays don't do it, then why not just use theirs and a desktop? Mac Pro or Mini?

I have set-up at least 10 of these iMacs this year, not a single one has had image persistence. Even the website you refer everyone to, a 3rd part not affiliated with Apple website to do a test on their equipment, states this may cause damage to your display...sounds like thats what is causing your issue.

The only issues I've seen with these iMacs were with color calibration varying from model to model and these were all the maxed up 1TB/32GB/4GB GPU i7 editions. Image persistence can be normal...I've seen it on gaming sets and even on the thunderbolt displays that were new out of box. after some usage it never appeared again.

Reactions: ThirteenXIII

davidmt

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
My last iMac 27" had it.
My new iMac 27" (2015) which I bought maybe 7 months ago did not seem to have the problem at all, but for the last couple of weeks I am now noticing it pretty frequently. Can't really say if it might have been this way all along and I didn't notice it (although I know I tried to confirm it was okay when I first got it).

It is frustrating. I set my screen saver to turn on after 2 minutes and that does help, but yeah.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Okay, I'm trying to understand
• how many iMacs have you recently had? 2? 3? 4?
• its been going on for over 3 years, then its 4 years and now its 5 years...? what do you mean by this? or is it all exaggerative?
• if other IPS displays don't do it, then why not just use theirs and a desktop? Mac Pro or Mini?

I have set-up at least 10 of these iMacs this year, not a single one has had image persistence. Even the website you refer everyone to, a 3rd part not affiliated with Apple website to do a test on their equipment, states this may cause damage to your display...sounds like thats what is causing your issue.

The only issues I've seen with these iMacs were with color calibration varying from model to model and these were all the maxed up 1TB/32GB/4GB GPU i7 editions. Image persistence can be normal...I've seen it on gaming sets and even on the thunderbolt displays that were new out of box. after some usage it never appeared again.

Sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. If having a checkerboard wallpaper "damages" your display, then you need to really open your eyes to the issue at hand. The behavior can be just as easily replicated by having a dark gray wallpaper, turning your brightness all the way up, and leaving a finder window up on your screen for 10+ minutes (NOT LETTING YOUR SCREENSAVER COME ON OR YOUR DISPLAY SLEEP). Then when you minimize the finder window, you will see a faint remnants of where it was. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! Please for the love of everything, STOP saying it is. To tell people they HAVE to let their display sleep or the screen saver come on is preposterous! Many people sit at their computer ALL DAY LONG working with static windows on their screen and CANNOT turn on their screensaver or let their display sleep. To suggest that this is a solution is absolute ignorance! Thanks though!
[doublepost=1468947092][/doublepost]
My last iMac 27" had it.
My new iMac 27" (2015) which I bought maybe 7 months ago did not seem to have the problem at all, but for the last couple of weeks I am now noticing it pretty frequently. Can't really say if it might have been this way all along and I didn't notice it (although I know I tried to confirm it was okay when I first got it).

It is frustrating. I set my screen saver to turn on after 2 minutes and that does help, but yeah.

Yep, it is very frustrating. It appears to plague ALL iMac computers to varying degrees, yet people keep coming on here "claiming" they have ZERO issues with it. I don't buy it for one second. What is more likely is that as I have stated a million time is that A. People aren't looking for it properly B. They aren't testing for it and C. They have a "pretty" wallpaper up that doesn't allow them to see it. You have to have a plain dark gray wallpaper up to see it and have left a window on your screen for 10+ minutes. Then there is the possibility of D. That I just have Superman vision and the other posters on here need to get their eyes checked. ;) All in all, I think it is a case of a combination of "ignorance is bliss" + denial. I have dealt with a senior tech from Apple who even offered to check for it on his machine. Guess what... He has it too. It is mild mind you, but nonetheless it is still there. And as you pointed out, in ALL cases it seems to get worse with time. This is probably do to the nature of the display and heat. So how does it feel to know that I own a $3000 ticking time bomb? TERRIBLE!

Last edited:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. If having a checkerboard wallpaper "damages" your display, then you need to really open your eyes to the issue at hand.

I do have an idea of what I'm talking about, I've been buying Apple displays for 2 decades now. I know exactly what I'm seeing and speaking of.

And yes, the page you linked has a pop up that specifically says:
"I don't believe that this can cause permanent damage to your screen, but I cannot be sure. By using this, you agree not to hold me responsible for any damage that you may incur. Do you agree to these terms?"

I attached the screen shot as well.

Why would I trust a 3rd party site that may be explicitly harming the screen vs Apple's own documented website?

The behavior can be just as easily replicated by having a dark gray wallpaper, turning your brightness all the way up, and leaving a finder window up on your screen for 10+ minutes (NOT LETTING YOUR SCREENSAVER COME ON OR YOUR DISPLAY SLEEP). Then when you minimize the finder window, you will see a faint remnants of where it was. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! Please for the love of everything, STOP saying it is.

It is NORMAL for variants of Ghosting. even the Apple site states its normal. Talk with any display manufacture, some have varying degrees of it.

Don't use a grey background, use a white one, which Apple has also recommended.

You're talking a huge 5K panel turned to max brightness, yes somethings may get a slight burn in and disappear after a while. Talk to us when you have had the display/iMac for more than 5 minutes.

To tell people they HAVE to let their display sleep or the screen saver come on is preposterous! Many people sit at their computer ALL DAY LONG working with static windows on their screen and CANNOT turn on their screensaver or let their display sleep. To suggest that this is a solution is absolute ignorance! Thanks though!
[doublepost=1468947092][/doublepost]

I never said any of that, you're just ranting. You never answered the question why not just a new Display and Mac desktop? if other panels don't have it...and Apple supplies bunk displays get something else?

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 139

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I do have an idea of what I'm talking about, I've been buying Apple displays for 2 decades now. I know exactly what I'm seeing and speaking of.

And yes, the page you linked has a pop up that specifically says:
"I don't believe that this can cause permanent damage to your screen, but I cannot be sure. By using this, you agree not to hold me responsible for any damage that you may incur. Do you agree to these terms?"

I attached the screen shot as well.

Why would I trust a 3rd party site that may be explicitly harming the screen vs Apple's own documented website?

It is NORMAL for variants of Ghosting. even the Apple site states its normal. Talk with any display manufacture, some have varying degrees of it.

Don't use a grey background, use a white one, which Apple has also recommended.

You're talking a huge 5K panel turned to max brightness, yes somethings may get a slight burn in and disappear after a while. Talk to us when you have had the display/iMac for more than 5 minutes.

I never said any of that, you're just ranting. You never answered the question why not just a new Display and Mac desktop? if other panels don't have it...and Apple supplies bunk displays get something else?

Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what you are talking about. I've been a Apple customer for 20 years and owned literally every single Apple product multiple times. The Marco testing site does nothing more than display a checkerboard wallpaper, which anyone could just as well download a picture of off the internet. His "warning" is just a disclaimer to cover his @$$ incase some moron (cough cough) would try and sue him saying that the checkerboard pattern got permanently burned into their screen because of his site. You can't tell some to use a white wallpaper or some pretty picture to avoid seeing the ghosting either. They paid $3k for the computer and ought to be able to use any color they want. You're getting back to the "ignorance is bliss" thing. Just because it may not be prominent to your eyes doesn't make it any less of a problem. And no, you didn't say to turn your screensaver on or to let your display sleep, but the very Apple webpage that your referring to calling this behavior "normal" for IPS displays does. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Stop sidestepping the fact that this IS an issue that still plagues Apple displays after 5 years and should not exist whatsoever. There are in fact IPS displays that don't "ghost" and for the money someone puts into a Apple machine, Apple ought to damn well figure it out and resolve it once and for all. You're doing nothing more than sounding like a "fanboy" that blindly follows Apple like a sheep and stands up for them even when they are wrong. When are you people gonna get it? This is not your favorite football team. By doing this, all you are doing is weakening a company and making their products worse for everyone. Thanks again!

Last edited:

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
If this issue happens only on apple's iMacs and not on other computers then this is unacceptable. I could understand if it is an inherent issue of the screen technology itself but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: accentaudio

davidmt

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
SAnd as you pointed out, in ALL cases it seems to get worse with time. This is probably do to the nature of the display and heat. So how does it feel to know that I own a $3000 ticking time bomb? TERRIBLE!

You have a good point there: I started to notice it as the hot and humid weather came. I would agree that has something to do with it. I hate the thought that it gets worse over time, though.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
This is so depressing knowing that your favorite computer is plagued by such a serious defect and Apple isn't willing to address it let alone deal with it and solve the issue. I' ve seriously been turned off the last years learning how flawed the design of the iMac is and how susceptible to defects and hardware damage it is.
I have no faith whatsoever that the next model I buy is gonna be reliable and provide a smooth experience. The only thing that keeps me from buying a pc is its pretty aluminum body and polished design.

Last edited:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what you are talking about. I've been a Apple customer for 20 years and owned literally every single Apple product multiple times. The Marco testing site does nothing more than display a checkerboard wallpaper, which anyone could just as well download a picture of off the internet. His "warning" is just a disclaimer to cover his @$$ incase some moron (cough cough) would try and sue him saying that the checkerboard pattern got permanently burned into their screen because of his site. You can't tell some to use a white wallpaper or some pretty picture to avoid seeing the ghosting either. They paid $3k for the computer and ought to be able to use any color they want. You're getting back to the "ignorance is bliss" thing. Just because it may not be prominent to your eyes doesn't make it any less of a problem. And no, you didn't say to turn your screensaver on or to let your display sleep, but the very Apple webpage that your referring to calling this behavior "normal" for IPS displays does. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Stop sidestepping the fact that this IS an issue that still plagues Apple displays after 5 years and should not exist whatsoever. There are in fact IPS displays that don't "ghost" and for the money someone puts into a Apple machine, Apple ought to damn well figure it out and resolve it once and for all. You're doing nothing more than sounding like a "fanboy" that blindly follows Apple like a sheep and stands up for them even when they are wrong. When are you people gonna get it? This is not your favorite football team. By doing this, all you are doing is weakening a company and making their products worse for everyone. Thanks again!

Whatever guy, I won't buy something if I don't like it. Such as the Mac Pro, I do not like what they did with it. Same with the mac mini.

Go find something that isn't going to continually be something that doesn't meet your expectations. tons of the iMac owners out there, mine included are fine. you are the exception not the rule. take it up with apple at this point...

Reactions: dotnet

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If this issue happens only on apple's iMacs and not on other computers then this is unacceptable. I could understand if it is an inherent issue of the screen technology itself but this doesn't seem to be the case.
my iMac doesn't suffer from this issue, and others stated the same thing. I can't answer for the OP, but I don't believe its a wide spread issue.

I won't buy something if I don't like it
That's the curious part, if after the second unit if defective, I'll move on to something else. These computers are too expensive why keep buying and exchanging - doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: ZMacintosh

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
my iMac doesn't suffer from this issue, and others stated the same thing. I can't answer for the OP, but I don't believe its a wide spread issue.

That's the curious part, if after the second unit if defective, I'll move on to something else. These computers are too expensive why keep buying and exchanging - doesn't make sense to me.

I sit here literally laughing out loud because I know that neither you or ZMacintosh will dare do the required test to see the image persistence behavior on your Mac computers. Honestly I can't say I blame you guys either, because sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. Truth be told, neither of you want to see it, because once you've seen it you can't un-see it. Kind of reminds me of the Tom Cruise film where Jack Nicholson says "you can't handle the truth". I know your machines do it, even if it is very very mildly. I'd be willing to bet my 2016 limited edition Camaro on it. I won't take the bet though because I know you guys won't be honest and do what's required for your machines to exhibit it. I mean heck, I even got a senior advisor at Apple curious enough that he wanted to see if his machine did it. Low and behold it sure does. Granted it's mild, but it's there. Think of it like this, why would Apple have an entire webpage talking about it if not all of their displays did it to some varying degree? Makes no sense does it? Why would Apple be so ignorant to put themselves out their to say to only some of their customers, "oh hey, we're sorry you got one of our bunk displays, here's how you cope". That's ignorant. I'm done arguing with those on here that want to duck their head in the sand and live in their blissful denial. And to ask me why I keep buying iMac computers tells me right there that you're full of it, because the answer is simple. You guys are saying you have machines that don't do it. Therefore that would mean that eventually I too would get one that doesn't as well. Not gonna happen, because they all do it and I'm not afraid to look closely. Thanks for playing along though and debating something that really can't be debated by Apple's own admittance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I sit here literally laughing out loud because I know that neither you or ZMacintosh
I usually don't run tests that are outside of my normal usage, that is if I don't see a problem with my imac when I'm using it as I normally, would, I see no reason to do an obscure test that will not really prove anything

So you can laugh all you want, that's fine, but I can guarantee, I'm more content, less stressed and generally happier with my iMac then with you who have obsessed over this issue.

Reactions: dotnet

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I usually don't run tests that are outside of my normal usage, that is if I don't see a problem with my imac when I'm using it as I normally, would, I see no reason to do an obscure test that will not really prove anything

So you can laugh all you want, that's fine, but I can guarantee, I'm more content, less stressed and generally happier with my iMac then with you who have obsessed over this issue.

I'm not the the type to live in blind denial. Different constitution I guess. You're really off in left field though if you think you can speak to how someone feels. Good luck with that, and for continuing to prove my point. You obviously lack reading or comprehension skills, because I've said time and again that if you use any gray wallpaper and sit at your machine with a static window open for 10 plus minutes, that when you close that window you will see a faint remnants of where it was. For the love of God, please STOP saying this is "outside normal usage". It really does sound ignorant and bullish to say otherwise. Your machine has the same issue. You just don't want to see it, or maybe you really have seen it and now you're just ticked off and lashing out that it was pointed out to you. Either way my conscience is clear. Fighting to make a company get better doesn't bother me in the least.

Last edited:

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
For all of the users who haven't been afraid to actually discover that they do have the issue with their iMac, thank you for chiming in. It is really sad that when you buy an iMac now that you have to feel like you're rolling the dice. It's more than sad, it's pathetic really. I guess more than anything, I'm kinda bummed that my company logo is set over a gray background and therefore that is what I use as my wallpaper. Too bad I couldn't of had my logo set over the top of the pretty Yosemite mountains or some other Apple recommended color as to not notice the flaw in their product. :rolleyes:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
So when a 3rd party site quite clearly states as a warning before entering their page that it may damage the screen..tell me how thats normal compared to the slight ghosting that is spelled out in literal black & white on Apple's page?

Like I've said i personally have owned many many apple displays and iMacs over the last 2 decades. We just set up a batch of them without any issue what soever. these folks actually do work all day using Adobe and FinalCut products not staring at a grey background all day.

If you hate it so much get a new product. if your boss at work treats you like ****, leave it and find a place that works for you, etc.

The issue is not widespread. you're just spreading FUD.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Lmfao, there is no cover up. you don't like the replies so you're in denial that you just need to move on. Try another iMac or try another product. and if you've had better success with other monitors, get those instead.

simply enough.

Reactions: maflynn

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Lmfao, there is no cover up. you don't like the replies so you're in denial that you just need to move on. Try another iMac or try another product. and if you've had better success with other monitors, get those instead.

simply enough.

No we don't have to try another product. What should be done instead is Apple fixing the screen issue once and for all since this is clearly a design manufacturing defect, if it can't fix the issue then it is better not to produce these machines until the technology gets there. Because we give apple a pass on issues like these, is the reason that apple gives priority to iPhone and watchbands and neglects desktops which is unacceptable since apple started as a desktop computer in the first place and owns its success on that.
I don't see why we can't have both up to date and reliable iPhones, iwatches and desktops at the same time.

Last edited:

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
It is really frustrating that we' ve reached a point with iMacs that you're constantly living with the stress of a probable hardware defect when purchasing. Apple really needs to put more thought and care on its desktop internal design and manufacturing process. Personally I can't waste my time going back and fourth on apple store service fixing the same defect again and again. I also don't like that I am forced to pay extra money for extended warranty, cause with the defect rates on iMacs you 're really screwed if don't buy apple care.
But maybe just maybe, if apple designed its computers better and in a more reliable way then we wouldn't have to buy apple care.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The behavior can be just as easily replicated by having a dark gray wallpaper, turning your brightness all the way up, and leaving a finder window up on your screen for 10+ minutes (NOT LETTING YOUR SCREENSAVER COME ON OR YOUR DISPLAY SLEEP). Then when you minimize the finder window, you will see a faint remnants of where it was. THIS IS NOT NORMAL!

Well, from what you described, it... sort of is normal, if that's how you duplicate the 'problem'. If you need to jump through all those hoops to 'prove' it has image retention, as far as I'm concerned, you're looking for an issue.

In fact that's just a flat out silly thing to do. Leave a block of colour for 10 minutes and see what happens if you suddenly change colour. You're deliberately burning in an image. Can't you see that? There's a reason Apple and other manufacturers have screensavers and auto display sleeping.

I would love to see you be so picky with other OEMs. HP and DELL would tell you exactly where to go if the issue isn't visibly obvious under anything but the most basic circumstances. It's a wonder Apple have put up with this for so long. I agree with @maflynn . I really do think you're looking for an issue and hurting your enjoyment of the machine because of it.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
No we don't have to try another product. What should be done instead is Apple fixing the screen issue once and for all since this is clearly a design manufacturing defect, if it can't fix the issue then it is better not to produce these machines until the technology gets there. Because we give apple a pass on issues like these, is the reason that apple gives priority to iPhone and watchbands and neglects desktops which is unacceptable since apple started as a desktop computer in the first place and owns its success on that.
I don't see why we can't have both up to date and reliable iPhones, iwatches and desktops at the same time.

Look, I have a new 27-inch 5K iMac, just set up a handful of them. All working just fine, no screen retention or burn in. I have a keen eye for imaging so if there was a slight bit of it...its not noticeable and if so would be normal.

No-one is saying you can't have them up to date and reliable, theres nothing unreliable about the iMac. Its the User. We work with photography editing everyday so we have a still image for a lengthy period of time we fine tune and edit....no burn in.

His debate is deliberate, its not upto his standards or ideals so get something else that is. that simple.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Look, I have a new 27-inch 5K iMac, just set up a handful of them. All working just fine, no screen retention or burn in. I have a keen eye for imaging so if there was a slight bit of it...its not noticeable and if so would be normal.

No-one is saying you can't have them up to date and reliable, theres nothing unreliable about the iMac. Its the User. We work with photography editing everyday so we have a still image for a lengthy period of time we fine tune and edit....no burn in.

His debate is deliberate, its not upto his standards or ideals so get something else that is. that simple.

Ok fair enough. But you can't deny the fact that putting a 5200 rpm drive in this day and age is absurd and redicilous. That makes a computer NOT up to modern standards and unreliabe.

Also there is a lot of claim from professionals that the gpu models on the iMac are rather week compared to other computers. And I'm not talking about gaming machines...

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany

What you are saying is perfectly sensible. However, accentaudio asked for us to test our iMacs with that test page he linked to. I did the test, had zero image retention, posted my results and was then called a liar, as everyone else without a defective screen. I am not disputing that the image retention issue persists on some machines, even many machines. But I cannot lie just to satisfy accentaudio's claim that ALL iMacs have defective screens.

Then this:
accentaudio said:
For all of the users who haven't been afraid to actually discover that they do have the issue with their iMac, thank you for chiming in

He acknowledges ONLY those who have discovered issues. The people who have done the test and discovered NO ISSUES are being insulted as being ignorant, apologists, passive, in denial, bullies and other absurdities. And for what? For not having a defective screen! I'm sorry that my iMac doesn't show any image retention. My iMac must be faulty!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.