Just ordered the new 17'' Mac Book Pro from B&H

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by octaviancucu, Nov 5, 2006.

1. octaviancucu macrumors newbie

My order:
    Apple APMBP23S17
    17" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB (2x1GB) RAM, 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB Graphics, 17" Glossy Widescreen Display, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, AirPort Extreme, Mac OS X Tiger - 6.8LB REG
    Apple APMMWL
    Mighty Mouse - Bluetooth Wireless REG
    Apple APAPE
    Airport Express Base Station Portable Wireless Base Station with AirTunes REG
    RoadWired ROSSPBG
    Skooba Seventeen+ Satchel - for Laptop Computers up to 17" (Black with Gray Trim) REG

I had to order from B&H, as they are the only company shipping to Middle East (Saudi Arabia), what are your previouse experience with them?

Delivery will be done through UPS Express...

PS. My first Macccc!

2. usvi4me macrumors member

Trinidad, West Indies - soon St. Thomas USVI
    I've had very good experiences with them shipping to Trinidad. Very fast if they have it in stock.
    What did they give you for an estimated shipping date for the 17" MBP C2D ?

3. octaviancucu thread starter macrumors newbie

4. echang9 macrumors newbie

Don't Buy Macbook From B&h - Scam !!

I recently bought a MacBook 13" from B&H Photo Video (a large online electronic retailer). After I received the product, opened it and installed, I realized that I received the old version of MacBook 13" (
    2.16 GHZ, Intel GMA 850) and not the new version (2.2 GHZ, Intel GM X3100).

When I called to complain, the customer service had said that I had actually chosen this product spec and since I already opened the product, I could not return nor exchange.

I noticed that I actually bought this product spec but in my mind I was getting the new version of MacBook and B&H's site made everything possible to induce me to purchase the old version, so they could get rid of the old inventory. Here's how they mislead me:

1) when I went to the site and put the search for "MacBook 13", the first item that appeared in terms of "relevance" was the 2.16 GHZ MacBook. Apart from that, the entire description of the product was the same as the
    2.2 GHZ version that is sold at B&H as well as Apple.com at the price US$ 1,299. (Leopard OSX, 120 GB, 8x SuperDrive DVD-RW, DL, etc..). And they even put in the specs list that the operating system is Leopard OSX- NOT TRUE !! The installed version is Tiger OSX, Leopard comes in a separate DVD for installation, because this was the OLD VERSION made originally for the Tiger system. It would be MORE HONEST to say that the installed operating system is Tiger OSX.

2) In addition, if the search was by relevance, the next product that should appear on the list is the 2.2GHZ MacBook 13". But this was NOT THE CASE, since this newer product only appears after 14 other MacBook laptop SKUs, and just before the accessories list !! (So they went through all the effort to put the new version at the END OF THE LAPTOP LIST !!)

In other words, anybody who was not paying 100% ATTENTION to the specs description would have bought the old version of MacBook 13" (2.16GHZ, Intel GMA 850) for the SAME PRICE (US$ 1298) of the new version MacBook 13" (
    2.2GHZ, Intel X3100) !! According to a site that measures speed, the 2.2GHZ is faster than the 2.16 GHZ version

In performance the MacBook 2.2GHz is ....

Processor Single ... 10% faster
    Processor Saturation ... 14% faster
    Graphics Card ... 20% faster
    Hard Drive Multi-File ... 2% slower
    Hard Drive Single -File ... 28% faster

QuickTime Encode Satuation... 8% faster
    Photoshop Filter Suite ... 12% faster

According to the customer service of B&H the two specs had similar speed - AN ABSOLUTE LIE !! When I asked them if it was not obvious that if customers had a choice, they would have ALL BOUGHT THE NEW VERSION OF MACBOOK 13" FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE OLD VERSION here was their response "You can not assume that. Some people prefer the old version". This is TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS ! SO WHY WOULD APPLE launch the
    2.2GHZ version in the 1st PLACE ???

This ACCOUNT is so that ALL ONLINE SHOPPERS ARE NOT FOOLED BY B&H PHOTO VIDEO AGAIN. I WAS TOTALLY MISLEAD INTO BUYING AN OLD VERSION FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE NEW ONE AND I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN TO OTHER HONEST SHOPPERS WHO BUY AT B&H.

5. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I've never bought a computer there -- I prefer to deal directly with Apple -- but I've always had great luck buying photo equipment from B&H.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's your fault for being stupid and not doing research. Oh, and you registered here just to bump a 15 month old topic to post that? lmao.

They didn't mislead you. They had both models on the website and you clicked the wrong one not paying attention. That's not their fault.

B&H is a great company. I've bought plenty of things from them and they have been great.

7. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

B&H is one of the best and most reliable electronic re-sellers our there. Similar to zioxide, I have bought loads of stuff successfully from them. I usually go to their NYC Superstore though.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

That said, they probably should have allowed him to return it, perhaps with a restocking fee. Just because a customer is wrong doesn't mean you should leave them unhappy. He will trash B&H to everyone he meets, all day and all night, forever. That kind of negative word of mouth (justified or not) is not worth the minor cost of just 'making it right' with the customers mistake.

Oh, and that reminds me, never EVER use A to Z rental in Spokane WA.

9. henryp macrumors member

henryp

While we regret Echang9's obvious dissatisfaction and ire, his report is incorrect. The item he selected, placed in his online shopping cart, and subsequently received has a different product code than the item he apparently wanted. The two are both listed on our site and it's understandable he might have selected the wrong one inadvertently, particularly since the two do had the same retail price. He received what he ordered.

He purchased the Apple # MB062LLA - B&H # APMB216S13W, but apparently wanted the Apple # MB062LLB - B&H # APMB22S13W.

His complaint is that the order in which we presented our replies to his search query was misleading. The search engine's returns vary depending on what exact search phrase was used. Many databases return search queries with products listed in the order they were posted to the site. Our web site permits the visitor to sort replies by several criteria including price (high-to-low or low-to-high), relevance, brand (a-to-z or z-to-a) or description (a-to-z or z-to-a).

We are sorry Echang9 feels he was mislead and in the interest of customer satisfaction are issuing a $100.00 refund to him. We regret his dissatisfaction but disagree with his unfounded allegation that this was a conspiracy of some sort.

10. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have bought a couple of cameras from them, they are a good company to deal with, and usually have comparable prices.

11. angrydj macrumors newbie

B&H Photo IS a scam.

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience at B&H Photo a few years ago. If I would have read this, I would have never ordered, to the Middle East, either.

Allow me to share my experience:

I ordered the product online on March 13, 2013. It was never delivered to my address, even as of July 8, 2013. I had paid in full at the time. (Product: + Shipping to Saudi Arabia ).

I ordered from B&H Photo in the past, and products were delivered to me in Saudi Arabia, and the United States, therefore I assumed my money was safe. On July 8th I asked for a refund for the full amount due to their non delivery, and negligence in handling my order. The Drop Ship rep agreed to the refund. He later said I would get the refund for the product, and NOT for "services & duties". I received my refund for the product to my credit card for JUST the product.

I have complained several times to the refund the full amount Customer Service and Drop Ship Team Head over the phone, but have no further response. Why am I being charged for a service I never received? Delivery was never made. There is no proof that I have received the product, and refused delivery.

Currently: They are absolutely dodging my demands for any sort of airway shipping bill saying my address was incorrect.

B&H Photo simply does not care, once they get their money. Very unethical, avoid like the plague.

12. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Your resurrection of this very old thread got my hopes up. :(

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Congrats!!!!! Oh wait old thread, oops, still YES!!!! Bring in your 17"MBPs to the store and set it beside the 15" retina macbook and watch people become giddy and curious like they never seen such a thing before! It was really innocent and entertaining.

14. angrydj macrumors newbie

Sorry to pour salt on the old wound buddy. I'm just bummed out. Money don't come easy.

15. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

No Apple store yet in KSA or UAE?

16. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Just so everybody knows, B&H is a great company. I get their catalog all the time and they have great products and service. I've bought camera stuff from them.

Please, don't go around spreading rumors of "scam" this or that. :rolleyes:

17. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I heard B&H return policy is horrible... No refund...

18. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

19. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I read several complains regarding B&H return policy. I don't remember which thread it was...

20. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

When Apple was still selling the 17", I never saw anyone at the retail stores using them.

21. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

How many hours did you use to spend at the store? Did you stand beside the 17" section and waited to see if someone used them? Lol :D

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I ordered my Mid-2010 MBP from B&H and had an awesome experience. The only downside was UPS making me pick it up but beyond that, no problems. I'd order from them next time for my next laptop for sure.

23. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Probably a complaint thread.. ;)

24. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

oh ya?

is that so, "never", hmmm? oh well. ^_^

25. henryp macrumors member

henryp

We're as sorry here to read about your dissatisfaction as we were in all the other places you posted essentially the same complaint. We received your order via our web site and shipped it to the address exactly as you submitted it. The package was returned as undeliverable due to address flaws. It was then reshipped, per your request and again returned. In total it made four round trips. After each we asked for corrected shipping information. For each, we paid shipping to you and we paid for the return shipping back to us. We never said you refused delivery. We said the shipper reported the package was undeliverable as addressed.

A full refund for the merchandise has been issued. No additional refund for s&h fees will be forthcoming.

I note in passing you've stopped complaining we failed to respond to your BBB complaint after we determined you submitted a complaint to them about "Online Electronics Store," not referencing B&H at all.

----------

I am sorry to hear any customer has an issue with our return policy but I think it's fair to ask that unsubstantiated rumors not be repeated or redistributed without verifiable attribution.