iPad Just picked up a white 2nd gen refurbished iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TC400, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

TC400

I have my own white iPad 2 as stated in my signature. But my mother ( yes I still live with my parents I'm 19 ) has been using my iPad so much lately we have to literally fight over it. So I finally bit the bullet and for Christmas I decided to get her OWN iPad 2. I decided to get her a second gen similar to mine w/o 3G. Do you guys still think the iPad 2 is a good buy for $319 refurbished? She doesn't do much a game here and there a little bit of web browsing facebook I'm trying to get her into digital books she loves to read.

2. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

I would've gotten her a 1st gen iPad but $319 is a good price.

I was in the same boat but my mom now has a iPhone 4S so she doesn't need my iPad lol

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

She defiantly would want the camera she LOVES taking pictures.

4. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

Women these days.. They're never pleased!

5. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

For that much why not getting her the ipad mini?

6. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I didn't realize the 2nd Gens were $319 refurb'ed that a really solid price.

I guess I'd seriously consider the Mini for only $10 more (new). It has a better front and rear camera, improved WiFi, Siri, even slightly better pixel density (164 vs. 132).

7. macrumors G3

Because the screen is larger.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

>.< Tell me about it thats why I'm single lol

----------

I don't like the iPad mini. I know she wouldn't either. Those are all minor things she most likely wouldn't notice. I would though. iPad mini doesn't exist in my world. And yeah the screen is bigger :p If I wanted her to have all that I would have gotten her either a third or 4th gen. But I think a 2nd gen is perfect.

9. macrumors 68040

D.T.

I just figured when you said this:

That using a Mini for pics would be better: 1) superior camera, 2) easier to use-as-a-camera form factor.

Sounds like you've got it figured out though, enjoy :)

10. macrumors G3

I agree with this. If I were getting an iPad for someone who will use the cameras a lot, I would choose the Mini over the 2. The Mini's back camera is significantly better than the one on the 2. If she is the type to be self-conscious in public, the Mini will look less out-of-place as a camera.

Then again, the larger screen is better for aging eyesight.

11. macrumors 65816

Yea, the iPad 2 camera basically sucks compared to iPad 3/4/mini.

12. macrumors regular

I got an open box iPad 3 for $300 at a Best Buy.

13. macrumors 6502

I don't mean to derail the thread, but did you simply walk in and ask if they had any open box iPads or do they advertise them? I'm trying to find one for my sister before I tell her that I bought one for myself last week. :D

14. macrumors 68000

Medic311

for an extra $60 you could get the iPad 3 16GB wifi with the Retina display. to me, that's definitely worth it in my opinion.

the $379 iPad 3 16GB wifi refurb i think is the best deal to be had right now for iPads

15. macrumors newbie

The 16GB iPad 3 has not been available for some time now.

I know because I missed the boat on that one. :mad:

16. macrumors 68000

Medic311

set up an alert on RefurbMe

17. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

I am afraid your mommy might not be pleased with ipad 3 for two obviously reasons...you say your mommy love to read then she will complain "why is ipad 3 is bit too heavy to hold with my fragile hands?" and Second reason is She will think "why is ipad 3 so hot while holding with bare hands?"

I might want to add... ipad 3 charge time takes forever you want to hear your mommy fussy again? Think about it, fella! :apple:

18. macrumors member

$319 for 16gb or 32gb?? 32gb is good deal... 16gb....not really

19. macrumors member

I don't notice the weight difference btw my iPad 2 and 3. BOTH are too heavy for extended reading. I also don't notice the heat issue. No big deal at all.

I agree the battery charging is noticeably longer on the 3... but I charge it overnight and it has not at all impacted my use of the device compared to the 2. In short, another non-issue.

With all that said, I would not buy an iPad 2 at this point. For this lower budget, I would get either the refurb or used 3 or a mini.

20. macrumors 6502a

I heard the retina display was better for reading.

21. macrumors 68040

No lie. Within 15 minutes of each other, three different folks walking into an Apple store yesterday seeing the mini for the first time each thought it would be smaller. :D

----------

I found one of this those at BB about two or three weeks ago. It was my first shot at trying an iPad and there weren't Minis anywhere near me so I bought that 3rd gen. It was new, not returned or refurb.

22. macrumors newbie

Ended up going with an iPad 2 refurb. The bigger size (which I wanted) and $10 cheaper than the Mini. Perfect for me.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Good choice! In all honesty I still think the iPad 2 is great given what Apple has to offer now. Still beats a lot of those horrible android tablets. I love my iPad 2 with ATT nothing on these new iPads have yet to sell me.