Just placed order for my new ibook!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hikeNM, May 11, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2004
    Somewhere close to a dairy in East Texas
    Couldn't wait any longer. So, I caved. I figured, no sense waiting when I could be using it!

Here are the specs:

12" incher
    80 GB HD
    256Mhz RAM (will definitely up that from 3rd party!)
    Bluetooth Module

Could anybody tell me what I need to do to break in the battery to give it the longest life?

I have never owned an ibook before. Any advice from those who've owned them would be great!!!

2. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    You'll love it! There's instructions on calibrating your battery in your shipping documentation. Mine's been great: 4-6 hours depending on use. Smart to get the big HD, I've only 40g and I have only 6g open - dangerous territory in some opinions.

Definitely get at least a 512 stick of memory. You may find a good deal on a gig stick, do that if you can. I got 512 from Kahlon but most people like Crucial

You'll never look back!!!
  3. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    when you first start using your iBook, let the battery drain until it goes into sleep mode. then fully charge. congrats, thats a sweet computer. i definately miss the durability of the iBook since i switched to the powerbook.
  4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    smart move on the hd, I got the 30GB and its filling up FAST.
  5. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    And I thought it would take me forever to fill up my 30 gigs. My two biggest mistakes were not getting Bluetooth and a bigger hard drive. But now I know what to get for my next iBook.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Lasuther, Where/How do I get the spanning hack, also can the ibook work in clamshell mode?

Sorry for the off topic post.
  7. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    You can get the hack here. It can run in clamshell, but it is a really bad idea to have it do so. iBooks lose a lot of heat through the keyboard, and running the iBook closed will either damage your screen or fry the logic board/processor. Not a good idea at all.
  8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    i had an ibook. i sold it and bought a 2005 15" powerbook. the screen is so sexy...
  9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I wish the people behind that hack could figure out a way to cause the laptop display to fully shut off without having to close the unit. I would seriously consider buying an iBook if I could use all 32MB on the external monitor instead of just 16... come on coders.... I smell a challenge ;)
  10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    nice purchase, you will find your ibook is quite a fast machine once u up the memory on it (768)... but all in all its a good mac..