just purchased my mac pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by swingline, Aug 20, 2006.

1. swingline macrumors member

actually i did it before i got on my flight, but i did it and i can't wait! i got the base config and hoping to add another 2 gigs of ram once third party companies start fixing the heating issues. i'm also going to be purchasing an extra 320 gb hd and the 24" widescreen display from dell once i get back to the states. i don't really need a monitor that big but i do have a 360... so that sort of justifies it:p i have a question about partitoning for installing win xp for anyone who's using bootcamp. if i designate one hard drive for windows, when i save a file on the windows hd, will i be able to open that file on osx?

oh and my ship date is the 12th with delivery eta 18th!

2. ammon macrumors regular

Congrats! So, was it the video card or airport that pushed your date back?

3. swingline thread starter macrumors member

it was the airport+bluetooth. can't believe it didn't come standard:mad:

4. hadleydb macrumors 6502

hadleydb

Wow the airport and bluetooth is pushing these machines back? I wonder if they will have a consumer installable option on those parts? :eek:

5. regan2 macrumors member

i'm fairly certain that both systems must be on the same drive, the boot drive. were you thinking bootcamp or parallels?

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

no, they don't. you don't even have to use bootcamp once you install it and it makes the small partition on the hard drive for the BIOS. after that, you just put in the windows xp cd and hold down C (i think it's C) and just install from there

7. swingline thread starter macrumors member

i dont know i think i'll just partition the boot drive and install xp with bootcamp then save all my docs on the 2nd hd

8. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Link?

9. swingline thread starter macrumors member

woudl you recommend a different os for each hd or 2 os on a single drive?

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've read that on this forum....just look around or search. real users posted that they have done this

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would recommend a different os for each hard drive....that way you don't risk loosing any files with bootcamp re-arranging your files on your hard drive. and windows is known for crashing.....you dont want it to take down OS X with it

12. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Easiest and quickest way to install windows...

use bootcamp to burn the driver CD... do not partition your hard drive with it though.... insert your windows xp cd into the cd drive... shut down....

Then simply unplug your OSX hard drive (pull it out of the bay about 1") then reboot holding down your option key... you will then be able to boot from the windows install CD.... install windows as normal....

THEN... push your OSX drive in...

You will be able to boot either osx or windows by holding down the option key...

I highly recommend a seperate drive for winblowz... i mean, we all know that it is ULTRA STABLE and RELIABLE.. but just in case it does blow up you do not want to loose your osx with it... (as pointed out in an earlier response)

13. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

14. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Yes, because it definitely would have been preferable to have everybody's Mac Pros pushed back for two features that can be added later and many people don't use.