Just put in my order for new iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBunny, Nov 21, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Well I did it

After months of deliberation.... I called the apple store and bought a standard 14' iBook. It will be my first Mac ever

I got it standard because I need it here by tuesday and they gaurenteed it to me by then. And I got the 14' because I want the bigger screen for watching DVDs since i will be doing that ALOT while i am deployed overseas.

I also bought ram from www.memorytogo.com, I heard from some people on here they are pretty good for what i need. I ordered an extra 512MB, I didnt have enough for 1GB.

Question tho: Will 768MB of Ram be enough? I will be doing standard stuff... thats why i got an iBook, not a PB.. no photoshop nothing like that....

Thanks all... when i get it, I will post pics and my expirances :)

Any input / advice / reccomendations / warning / things i need to do....

Thanks again

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

its a nice computer, i hope you like it!

that amount of ram will be fine. i have 512mg in my pb and it is working fine for me in the like of photoshop and imovie. yeh a bit more would be nice but it isnt painfully slow or anything like that.

just remember to repair permissions every now and again (especially before running updater) and everything will run smoothly! (applications > utilities > disc utility > repair permissions!)

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Congratulations!
    I just got my 12" ibook (I wanted portability) a few weeks back. I did as you and upgraded it withan extra 512g of RAM from Crucial. It works great for what you will use it for. You will (hopefully) love it like I do.
    One tip; when you insert the RAM you have to push REALLY hard to get it all the way in. I thought something was wrong with my RAM until someone on this forum told me that you have to push harder than what feels comfortable on your new Mac. All the best

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Congratulations!

Welcome aboard. You should be fine with 768MB...anything is better than 256! :rolleyes:

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Congrats. I am sure you will love it, if you have any question i will be glad to answer them, you can post them here of send me an email.

Tip: If you will be travling and will be watching a lot of diffrent DVD from diffrent reigons use VLC insted of the DVD player that comes with your mac, since you will not need to change the reigon code :)

6. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

congrats and welcome to the club

your memory upgrade should serve u well !

i did buy a 12inch myself but apple screwed me out of ipod i should have has via cram and jam offer for students so i sent the ibook back in disgust lets hope ur shippment does not get delayed like mine did 3 weeks !!!!!

oh sorry enough about me dont forget to download a great app called sidetracker a must for all ibook and powerbook users

7. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Welcome to Mac! You will no doubt love your iBook. 768 is plenty of RAM for what you will use it for. I only have 512 in both my PB and G4 iMac, and I do a little Photoshop, iMovie, and Garageband. More is always better, but you won't be complaining about RAM.

9. apFeLgELiEbTer macrumors newbie

Congrats iBunny and yoak. Amazon's $150 rebate on 1.25 and 1.33 iBook G4's finally helped me decide to get one. So I have a 12" iBook, 1 gig of ram and a matching Apple mouse (all necessities) on their way. It'll be a great computer for you, I'm sure. iBook's are always great as a second, portable Mac. 2 years ago, I paid $1,000 for an iBook G3, then sold it for $600, then purchased the latest iBook G4 for $850! I love how Mac's hold their value. Hopefully I can keep this one for 2 or 3 years and sell it for $600-$800. :)

10. Souljas macrumors regular

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'd also get MacStumbler, for finding WiFi access points.
    Linkety
    It is really quite useful for those times when you need to check your email and just don't have a 30 mile long Ethernet cable with you.

12. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

OMG!

I am posting from my new 14' iBook! It finally got here and omg, it rules....

I just have to relearn everthing and figure out where settings are lol

But so far i put in the new ram and it worked like a champ! and eveything works right away.... this is amazing

I will take pics in a few min! Thanks all

13. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Pics!!!!

Thank you all for helping me make this happen... If it werent for finding confidence in these forums, i wouldnt have got this iBook

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Congratulations!!

Whoo Hoo!!

Good stuff aye??

I know how you feel at the moment. It's always great to have a new Mac in the house.

aussie_geek

15. Mustafa macrumors regular

Dumb question, and I'm ashamed I don't know the answer, but how do you post pictures like that?

I had some pics of the opening of the Apple Store in London last week, but I gave up trying to post them. Now it's old news!