Just put together a HTPC (windows based)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by prostuff1, Jan 27, 2007.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    I know this is a mac forum and all but well, there are a few things that windows does a little better and is more customizable with.

With the room mate getting fed up with his laptop (keeps shutting off on him) he decided that he would pay for 3/4 of a new computer. I laid out a plan and told him it would be cool to hook it up to the 37in Westinghouse I got for Christmas. He thought is was a good idea so i picked out pieces and parts with the help of many many people here and on other forums.

So here is the final parts list i have:
    Case: Antec P150.
    Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300.
    Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT.
    Hard Drive: WD SE16 WD2500KS 250GB.
    Memory: G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800.
    DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD Drive.
    CPU Cooler: Scythe SCNJ-1100P.
    Extras: Also purchased some artic silver 5.

I am going to deal with the tri-cool fan for now and the fan on the video card. But will end up replacing them sooner or later.

Any input is welcome but obviously none of the parts are changing. I will be using XP Pro (get it free through my school) and probably using Xlobby as a front end. I will start trying out things like theatertek and stuff to find out which i like best.

Don't worry though I am still apple all the way :apple: :apple: :apple:
    I really do like the apple smiley!!!
  2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Looks like a good setup. I was about to say, you might as well go with Vista, but since you get it for free, you can now get it at the upgrade price.

I would suggest that once you get it all set up, maybe get an HDTV tuner card if you guys watch a lot of TV. Just a suggestion.

Sounds like you have some fun in front of you.
  3. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Definitely get a TV tuner card. I have the NVidia dual tuner one and it's awesome. My HTPC uses Windows Media Center 2005, and surprisingly, it's actually good. Being able to watch TV on my schedule is awesome. With the exception of the Daily Show and David Letterman, everything I watch is on when I'm at school, work or sleeping, so being able to watch things when I want is just great. Plus I can skip right through commercials.

There are 3 things in this world that once you use, you get addicted and can never go back. a DVR of some sort is one of them :D

(OSX and BlackBerries are the other 2 ;))
  4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    As long as you are really a Mac person at heart ...... enjoy your Win setup. :)

5. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    Yup, that will come sooner or later. When more money decides to wander in :p
    I actually have an HD-DVR from my cable company and record quite a few different things. I love the DVR and could NEVER live without it now.

Yup, no fear of me switching hear. I will probably try to make windows look as mac like as possible.