Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelThomas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Basically I just wanted to know where I stood if I kept my pre-order without canceling it and returning it if there was a screen problem.

I dont live near an apple store and my understanding was that if there was a problem I would have to take it into a store as I was under the impression Apple stopped sending out boxes in the UK to return goods.

Anyway she told me that if I was unsatisfied with it I would have to deal with them and not a retail store and I could return it within 14 days and recieve a FULL refund or exchange it.

I then asked... "...So I wont have to pay a re-stocking fee?" and she replied "No."

hmm as far as I was aware if the box is opened I would have too?

I think Im gonna ring back again tonight and hopefully speak to someone different and ask again to see what they say. If they say I wont have to ill be sure to take down their name and keep a record of the time and date for future refrence if needed.

mithykal

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
You only have to pay a restocking fee if you decide you dont want it, not if there is a fault with your item.
Although I spoke to an Apple Employee (Uk) and he said that the restocking fee can be scrapped if you ring up customer services and basically...have an argument lol. (Say about the it saying you could edit the calander when you bought it and they changed it without notifying you)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
what i did

I called and did the same thing but she told me i could set an automatic refund right then and there. She said as soon as I get it an email will be sent to me w/ the refund documentation as well as a sticker to put on the package to have it returned w/o opening it. within 4 days the money will come back into my account, so theres that..

maybe you should ask about that. when I get mine I wont even open the box it came in.

Cheers,
Arisian

MichaelThomas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
My plan was to not open it until id seen how other peoples had turned out from the uk. If the majority of them are bad I was just going to send it back sealed so i didn't have to pay the re-stocking fee and wait a month or so until the issue is sorted out. However now that she said I wouldn't have to pay a restocking fee if there's a screen problem I might as well just go ahead and open it anyway.

Can I ask why your sending it straight back without opening it?

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Restocking fees are illegal in the UK anyway for faulty goods (maybe even for non-faulty.. certainly never heard of them being applied (edit: checked, yes they are)).. In addition to the refund within a 'reasonable' time you also get the right to a repair/replacement for 6 months after purchase (any fault deveoping in the first 6 months is assumed to be a manufacturing fault unless provable otherwise).

The screen fault would of course be covered by this so unless you want your money back you're OK for replacement for 6 months.

Stuff bought from the online store comes under distance selling regulations which adds a 7 working day cooling off period - if you change your mind during that time you can send it back and get a refund, whether it's faulty or not.

So I wouldn't worry too much. Get one, decide whether it's a good one or not... we're well covered legally in this country (and anyway apple are one of those companies that I'd expect to do the right thing anyway whether the law was there are not). Shopping with a store is probably easiest though, simply makes replacement easier.

Worth reading: http://www.pcw.co.uk/computeractive/features/2014044/know-consumer-rights-part-basics

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
because

Because i bought one at Best Buy after calling apple to see if I could cancel it. She said she couldnt cancel but that she could set up an auto refund, so i went ahead and bought it at best buy, so ill return it without opening it unless idiots are paying 600 on ebay like they were last week

thanks,
Arisian

MichaelThomas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
hey thanks for that link TonyHoyle.

Loads of stuff on there I really wasn't aware of and I'm pretty sure there is a lot of others as well who aren't either!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.