Just realized my 17" MBP has the whine...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by refulgentis, May 27, 2006.

1. refulgentis macrumors regular

I'm a first time user, so it took me a while to recognize it. After researching the whine (I only hear it when plugged into AC while in OSX), I heard the sound file and it sounds exactly the same as the one I have. Should I ask for the laptop to be replaced?

2. refulgentis thread starter macrumors regular

I guess what I'm really asking is: If I walk into an Apple Store, talk to the Genius Bar guy, and tell him what's going on, are they aware of it and will respect it even though it might be hard for him to hear in the noisy store, or will I be treated skeptically?

Also, is there another way to request replacement besides going to the store? I know the store would be the fastest, but a dent in the bottom right corner makes me complaining about the whine somewhat suspicious.

3. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Yes, you have the whine. It only happens on the 17" MBP while plugged in and it is not nearly as bad as the 15" whine.

Honestly, just deal with it until a fix comes out. They will have you mail it for repair. You will not see your laptop for 2 weeks and it will come back with the whine still. They might replace the logic board, but that won't solve the problem.

4. TheDarkTrumpet macrumors newbie

Have you already sent yours in for repair?

I just bought a 17 inch yesterday, and today I hear the whine. I'm not too concerned about it, as I don't hear it because I run a fan to cool off the MBP (which works wonders)

5. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

No, I do not want to go through the hassle of trying to repair it. I guarantee they will not fix the CPU whine.

6. TheDarkTrumpet macrumors newbie

It may be worth the hassle if it's possible they can also ensure that there's proper cooling going on as well. 85C is way too hot for a CPU to be getting, and if it's thermal paste or whatever - it should be fixed.

7. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I think you will always get a whine on charging electronics.

My iPod, cell phone, 2.4GHz cordless phone, Nintendo DS, and the Dell laptop that I use at work all whine during charging. It's normal.