Just Received a new iMac...what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burger011, Dec 4, 2006.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Just received a new 20 inch iMac and while I've been a mac user for years (old iMac 600mhz) I have some questions about set up.

1) I'll be buying parallels for mac (and loading boot camp), should I partition the HD for this? I assume I'll have to buy a copy of windows xp for this.

2) I currently use 10.3 so is there anything I should "take advantage" of and set up prior to loading all my info on to it?

3) How do I load my info on to the new Mac?

4) Any advice for set up is appreciated

Thanks.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You will need to partition for Boot Camp, but they Boot Camp setup will walk you through the process. You don't need to do it manually before. Yes, you will need a copy of Windows XP SP2. I think you mean transfer all your settings from your old comp? Sorry, but I don't have much experience with that, hopefully someone else can help.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Parallels Will allow you to run windows on top of OS X, while Boot Camp will allow you to choose what OS to boot into in the very beginning and you can not choose and switch back and fourth without shutting down.

You dont need both, I use Parallels and it works fine.. no boot camp :) But yes you do need a Windows XP SP2 Disc to use the programs

4. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

As far as copying info from the old iMac to another, you can use an ethernet cable. Hook the 2 comps. together using a crossover cable, turn on sharing on both iMacs in System Prefs, and connect to them. You can also burn files to a cd and transfer them that way.

My hint-- only transfer stuff you need so your new iMac doesn't get cluttered with all the old...start fresh!

5. andcraig macrumors regular

The current beta of Parallels allows you to use the bootcamp partition in parallels. This is a big update and saves a lot of disk space if you want both.
    This way you can run bootcamp for when you want to do 3-D stuff (i.e. games) or you just fire up parallels, it accesses your bootcamp partition, and you can use it for non 3-D stuff.

I believe the beta is going to be a free update for people who own the software once it's released.

6. tvguru macrumors 6502

Actually, you don't even have to use a crossover cable. The Mac is just that smart. It flips the connections automatically (somehow), I've used it a few times without problems.

7. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I can't tell how cool that is for someone like me. That is very good news. The only way it could possibly be better is if I could run Windows programs without running windows. I know there is crossover but its kind of limited at this point. Thanks for the information.:)

8. obrien234 macrumors regular

You can also use a firewire cable and the Migration Assistant found in your Utilities folder to move all your stuff.