Just received my Mighty Mouse .. question on how to clean

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Jan 22, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I have heard people talk about how you have to clean it regularly. What is the best way to do that?

I think the mouse is awesome so far, I fixed the right click as the secondary button and it works perfectly. I had to speed up the scrolling speed a little, but I love it.

Just wondering on how to clean it and how often?

ALso, anything else I should do to keep it working well?

thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mostly you just make sure you use a damp cloth to clean it. I found that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is good if the rubber ring around the bottom surface gets dirty. The ball can get some dirt and particles in it, though, so that's the part you apparently have to be more careful about.

You can see this if you're really into cleaning it, too:

http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=539

But mostly, just make sure the ball stays clean and don't worry too much about the rest of it.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

To get rid of all the gunk that builds up in the scroll ball, disconnect the mouse and turn it upside-down. Press against the ball firmly and push it around as if you were scrolling. Be sure to press VERY firmly. Some people use the cloth that came with their computer/monitor, but I just use my fingers.

You want to do this whenever the ball stops working. You'll see the gunk come out.

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I don't have a MM but a VX Revolution. I clean it with hand sanitizer every other day as well as my keyboard. Just a dime drop on my fingers and then I rub it over the mouse. I find oil/gunk buildup all the time, plus it keeps the germs away :)

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

This has worked for me as well. It also works well to place a sheet of white paper on your desk and rub the ball back and forth on that. I only need to do this is the ball starts sticking for some reason.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I do that as well, but I rub a SLIGHTY damp paper towel against the ball.

7. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

might be a dumb question, but how exactly do you get the ball out? Thanks!

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Disassemble starting from the bottom.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The white paper method works well for me,it does require pretty firm pressure though.The ball seems to be a magnet for dust etc. and it doesn't take long to collect on the scrolling sensors.Mind you I do use it in a non office environment.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yep, and it's really not all that hard, though it is worth noting that it will void your warranty (and you won't be able to do it without leaving evidence).

11. thomasp macrumors 6502a

12. howtovdos macrumors newbie

How to clean Apple Mighty Mouse

Okay, there is a video on YouTube on how to clean apple mighty mouse. Have a look at this video How to clean Apple Mighty Mouse