Just reinstalled Windows XP, now can't install shared printer on OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by realmcenter, Jul 25, 2005.

1. realmcenter macrumors member

I have an old HP LaserJet 4L that is connected to my desktop PC running Windows XP. I was able to get it set up just fine the first time I tried to set it up. Now that I reinstalled Windows XP, OS X is refusing to find the printer or let me set it up. I have everything setup on Windows the way it was before. The workgroup my desktop is on doesn't even show up in the list when I try to add a network printer and I have to go to Network Neighborhood and then select my workgroup and then my computer, but when I try to connect to my desktop it asks for a username and password and I use the admin username and password I have on my desktop, which is how I did it before, but it says it can't connect. This is leaving me incredibly frustrated right now since it worked fine before and I know this is an OS X issue, not a Windows one. Ideally I'd just get a parallel port to USB cable and connect it directly to my iBook but I doubt OS X would recognize it. Any suggestions?

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

I've had nothing but trouble with connecting between OS X and WinXP.

I have a PC that can see the OS X computer without issue and get excellent transfer rates doing so.

However, I can't connect to any of the office PCs (all with XP SP2). I go to finder and Network, and there, under the list of available connections, are all 3 XP computers with their XP-created user names. I click on one, and it gives me a "the alias could not be opened, because the original item could not be found."

and if i attempt to point to the "original item" i get stuck in an infinite loop, because in OS X, the alias seems to actually be the source...

I've had this problem since Panther was first introduced, and I've only gotten it to work 1 or 2 times, seemingly at random, since then.

To sum it up,

• PC can connect to PC
    • PC can connect to Panther or Tiger
    • Tiger and Panther can connect to Tiger or Panther
    • Tiger and Panther can see PCs, but can't connect to them.

3. realmcenter thread starter macrumors member

I ended up just getting a parallel port to USB adapter and hooking the printer directly up. Surprisingly, considering that parallel ports are foreign to Macs, it worked just fine and OS X even recognized and set up the printer automatically.

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I have no problem at all printing from XP Pro SP2 to USB printers connected to my Macs running Tiger.
    I haven't tried the reverse.