Just saw Dr. Strangelove...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Wow! What a great movie. It's at once thought-provoking and bloody hilarious. When the captain put on that crazy cowboy hat, it reminded me of George W. Bush and when he jumped on the bomb, it reminded me of that SNL sketch with Donald Rumsfeld riding a missile to Iraq.

Anyway, the thing I didn't get was at the end where Dr. Strangelove has problems with his right hand. I also didn't get when the Russian ambassador was fiddling with the pocket watch. A little help, please? :)

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I don't recall the Russian fiddling with the pocketwatch, but Dr. Strangelove's "problems with his right hand" were him trying to surpress a 'Heil Hitler'. I don't rightly remember the context (It's been a few years) but I remember it does make sense :D

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

great movie. the irony is advanced. did you get the mixture of doomsday gap, missle gap and mine gap?

i love dark humor.

4. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

that movie is awesome...

all the characters are so much over the top and you have to remember that at that time, the cold war was in full swing...

Kubrick was a genius!

vSpacken

5. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

dr strangelove is pretty fantastic. peter sellers is amazing. kubrick is god!

dr strangelove himself was supposed to have been a former nazi scientist, hence all the heil hitlers. at the end he even says, "mein fuhrer, i can walk!!!"

6. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Re: Just saw Dr. Strangelove...

The reason it "reminded you" of the SNL skit is no doubt because the SNL skit was an homage to the movie.

And the Russian ambassador was fiddling with the watch because the watch was a spy camera and he was taking pictures. This was after General Turgidson had specifically warned the president against allowing the Russian Ambassador into the war room because he might see the "big board."

one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

and the movie is eerily relevant with our current Presidential administration. :eek: ;)

8. cubist macrumors 68020

What I liked was the message about technology: All the gee-whiz gadgets kept screwing up - the recall code, the bomb releaser, etc. - but people kept pressing on and made the result happen anyway.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah, my freshman year histroy teacher made up watch that for extra credit... i must say i liked it...it reminds me of the current admin too. Another moive that also seems eerily close is the "Second Civil War" ...when Idaho threatens to succeeded from the union

10. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Yeah, I picked up on pretty much all of the irony, but I didn't catch most of the sexual innuendo.

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Re: Just saw Dr. Strangelove...

useless trivia: the original line was "...a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff." (if you watch his lips, you can tell it was overdubbed.)

why? the movie was released only a few months after JFK's assassination (it was actually pushed back a month or due to the circumstances) and they removed the reference to Dallas out of respect.

12. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

There was also going to be a pie-fight at the very end, but they removed it because JFK had been shot.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

one of my favorite parts is in the war room when george c. scott trips, tumbles, then still delivers his line.

i heard once that that was an accident. can anyone confirm?

14. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

That's what I've heard to, and I'm pretty sure it's true, except none of the cast or crew or even Kubrick could tell if it was intentional or not. Apparently George C. Scott was quite the joker on set.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also enjoyed Dr. Strangelove, a great movie. An outstanding movie, one of the great films. I purchased it on DVD!

16. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Dr. Strangelove is my favorite movie of all time. No question. I'm just curious, though - How does the Muffley Administration remind anyone of the Bush Administration? No matter which side of the aisle you're on, I just don't see where the comparison lies. Can someone illuminate?

17. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't think it's the Muffley administration that reminds us of the Bush administration. Muffley actually tried to own up to and correct his mistakes.

It's General Ripper that reminds me more of Bush. However, when the Major put on that cowboy hat, I immediately thought of George W.

18. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

I still wish that the alternate ending, in which the war room breaks into a huge pie fight, was included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. antiignoramus macrumors newbie

George C. Scott might have been a joker on the set, he also was rather mad at Kubrick after seeing which takes of the move he used. Kubrick would have Scott act it as Scott intended, and then ask him to go "over the top, just for fun" or something like that. Scott would comply, and Kubrick would use that cut instead of the ones that represented how Scott saw the role.
    Scott was hard to work with, but gained respect for Kubrick after the director soundly beat him, again and again, at the game of chess.