Just Saw I Walk the Line

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Nov 26, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

so i just saw i walk the line with a friend of mine and I must say, it was a very good movie. the way the movie depicted cash was so surreal, it was very engrossing in its own way. the interesting thing was when his career overlaps with elvis' in 1956 when they perform at the same concert venue. another issue the movie portrayed very well was the hostility between him and his father, and even when he became famous his father still had this grudge against him. it was also interesting to see how he ignored his wife and kids and had this love obsession/affair with june carter. it was never mentioned if he divorced his wife:confused: ..

nevertheless, thumbs up in my book.. great movie. :)

2. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

oh yeah, forgot to mention.. there must have been only 12 other people in the theater at the time.. guess you gotta be a fan.. i just wanted to see how modern country music got its roots.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Play a music artist... win an Oscar. It's sickening.

What's next? Gain 30 pounds?

I heard it was Oscar-worthy. But alas, I'm not much of a country music fan. I am a great boxing fan, but I didn't even have interest in seeing Will Smith in Ali. :eek:

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

4. cubist macrumors 68020

So the movie industry has moved from lame knockoffs of old TV shows, to lame biographies? Phooey. Don't they have ANY writers anymore?

And Will Smith playing Ali?! They've gotta be crazy. That's like having Don Rickles play Wilt Chamberlain.

5. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

okay first of all, ali came out a few years ago so thats old news.. and will smith was actually pretty good in it..

second, ray.. the movie about ray charles was very good. fox depicted his character very well and it won him best actor..

this movie was also very well made, it was engrossing.. there were moments where you could feel the actors emotions..

now movies like kiss, kiss bang bang with val kilmer are the just plain stupid movies.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Never showed him shooting up, he was addicted to prescription pills in the movie and there were references to cocaine.

Thats what really made me jealous. Imagine seeing Cash, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison before they were ever famous in a high school gym. :eek:

Modern country music = pop music.

Real country music is now called Americana, Blue Grass, Folk, Alt. Country, or 'No Depression.' Check out this PBS documentary about the Carter Family if you really want to see the roots.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have also heard great things about this movie, and will be taking my Dad to it in the next couple of weeks as an early Christmas present since he is a huge Johnny Cash fan. :)

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I jsut watched the film last night. Being a fan of Johnny Cash (and not much else as far as Country goes, being that the last 20 years of Country has been utter crap), it damn near brought me to tears.

This movie is more than worth it to watch. This movie depicts one of Music's greatest legends perfectly. A lot of it goes hand-in-hand with his auto-biography. Although he never kills an ostrige in the movie...

Cash was always more true to music, and people than Elvis EVER was. Elvis was a hack, who stole all of his music. Cash was the guy that wrote it all (with the help of June at times, of course).

Anyway, great movie. It's a shame Johnny didn't get to see it before he died.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

well, it used to be play a mentally handicapped person, and you won.

the oscars are the same people acting as voting, its one big orgy of money, hollywood egos and bull***t media attention that these "actors" obviously crave.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i saw Lacero post, and thought it ws today , and i was like s/he back!! but alas i looked at the date :eek: :(

12. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Nah, you have to be straight and pretend to be gay, a cowboy, or both.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I watched WTL last night on DVD and liked it a lot. Good acting, not-bad singing, good use of flashbacks, and an interesting story that I realize I didn't know as much about as I thought. His dad, played by Robert Patrick, really gave me the creeps.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, he is the T-1000 after all.... :) :cool:

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

And his brother used to be in Nine Inch Nails!

16. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I really loved this movie, though another aspect it didn't cover was Cash's Native activism. Cash himself was one-quarter Cherokee, and Bitter Tears is an astounding album, which also was the first album on which the well-known "Ballad of Ira Hayes" appeared. There was an obituary about Cash, I think in Smoke Signals, though it might have been another publication, that discussed this aspect of his history more in depth. If I can find it, I'll link it...

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They didn't choose to include his best-ever song in the movie: [playlistId=827692&s=143441&i=1330931]A Boy Named Sue[/playlistId]!

In addition to not being named Sue, Johnny Cash and I have something else in common. We've both been to San Quentin although neither of us was an inmate there!

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm uninitiated and uneducated. when I first saw the advert for this I thought it was about Elvis :eek:

whats with this Cash thing at the moment? HMV is stocked with his CD's and auto-biographies etc.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The film brought it all out, just as "Ray" did for Ray Charles. Ray Charles's death also contributed, of course.

It was interesting to note the similarities and differences between Johnny Cash and Ray Charles, as seen in Walk the Line and Ray: hard lives, great talent, marital troubles, fame & fortune, inner demons, self medication, comebacks, and a place in history. Despite the racial difference and Ray's blindness, they had a lot in common.

20. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Written by the ever subversive and wonderful Shel Silverstein!

Cash did so many amazing collaborations with folks throughout his career, another aspect that's only briefly touched on in the movie.

21. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

??? isn't NIN more of a "one man band"?

22. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Richard Patrick played guitar on the "Hate '90" tour.

23. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

aha. sense. yes, i see. spiffing.

funny, i'm listening to NIN right now :D