Just saw space station fly over...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iSaint, Jul 18, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Heaven's Above is a great web site that gives you satellite and astronomy data specific for your location. I checked the site for tonight, and I just took my kids outside to watch the space station fly over. It takes about 3-4 minutes to go across the sky, and looks like a bright planet. Kinda cool...

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very cool iSaint. That must have been a neat site seeing the space station fly overhead.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's neat. I just went outside to see if I could see it, but nothing. I think I've seen it before, or it could have been a satellite.

4. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Cool! The other day(night) i noticed a few lights that were certainly not shooting stars floating around up there, including one that both moved and stopped moving, making me wonder if it was the shuttle. the thought that it could be people up there making that tiny light is pretty cool :) Thanks for the linkage!

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

there is no shuttle in space right now...

the space station is visible even from DC at certain times, so it's very easy to spot. just have to wait until it's high enough in the sky

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Heavens Above is a fantastic website, ive used it to spot the space station many times. Don't forget to look our for the iridum satellite flares too.

7. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Space stations.. ha
    Next you're going to tell me that humans have flown to the moon.

8. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

oops... i'd heard that it was due to take off but hadn't found out it never did. what's the latest news?

9. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Still delayed. There was (is) a window of opportunity for takeoff that isn't very long. I'm not sure what that window is, but if it doesn't go soon it goes in September.

EDIT: 500th POST I'd like to thank the Academy, and everyone who supported me in my time here. I hope to continue to be a participating member who has something, however little, however helpful, to offer. peace out!!!

10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

11. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I live in a small town with plenty of street lights and we saw it with no problem. Some nights it's very bright and can be seen easily. The Heavens-Above site explains brightness (negative numbers are brighter).

Do you live in a big city???

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

eh?

i've seen it fly over from downtown washington dc...

:confused:

13. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Well, the reason you see the space station isn't because they have too many 100watt bulbs turned on ;)

You see it because the solar sails, as well as the station its self is reflecting the suns light back to earth. There for I'm sure there are areas of the earth where the ISS can be seen from the streets of NY, while even some middle of nowhere places may not be able to catch a bright glimpse.

In the times that I've watched the ISS go over, it's normally faded from the sky before it reached the horizon.

~Earendil

14. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

thanks! I hope they manage to get it up soon, it's been quite a while… it's beginning to look like they're just (pretty much) going to wait for the next generation of spacecraft!
    congrats on the avatar post! :)

15. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

yeah satellites are pretty bright, the shuttle (when it is up there) brighter than most. Sometimes you can see satellites in the wide blue daytime too, it's crazy.

Thanks a lot for the URL, I'll be sure to be taking a look at it... Might beat using Starry Night.

16. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I find different uses for each...

I have an old version of Starry Night that runs on Classic. It's pretty cool but I wish I could afford a newer version. Also, Classic doesn't shut down after I close Starry Night so I have to do it manually. But that's another thread for another day (and has been discussed in the Tiger forums).

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That's great - unfortunately there's no pass in the next 10 days over London, but there is a Keyhole going over me at 22:17 tonight. I'll have a look and wave at Uncle Sam :p

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So have I - if you get it at the right time of the night, around just after sunset, it can be quite cool and a brighter star than anything else out there (except the planets).

I haven't seen it when the Shuttle or Soyuz has been docked, but its supposed to be even brighter.

I also managed to see MIR a couple days before it went down from a park along the Potomac in Old Town Alexandria - so its not hard to see these things in a big city.

D