Just saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Dec 9, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes, it's a new thread to talk about seeing the movie...

It was great! The story kept you on edge (as does the book), the scenery and costumes were wonderful. The battle scenes were gripping, but no blood and gore was required to 'make it better'. The Christian references weren't overwhelming. I mean, you have to really know what you're looking for. If you're a little kid, you're going to love the movie without analyzing it for religious themes.

It's also the first time in a long time I've heard the audience clap when it was over.

Good soundtrack, too.

I'll probably go see it again.

EDIT: There was a pretty good preview for another Pirates of the Carribbean movie, too!

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. Sathos macrumors regular

First, thank you SO much for reminding me that this movie is out now. I was a little worried as to what had happened to a friend, but now I recall he's probably gone to see it.

Secondly, would you reccommend reading the book before seeing the movie? I ask this because lately it takes me forever to read something, so it will be out of theatres by the time I finish the book, however small the book may be. Should I just wait, read the book, and rent the movie? Or is it a must-see in theatres type thing? I feel a little foolish for not having started reading it earlier :eek:

4. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Great! The only unrealistic scene was a background when the kids were travelling over a natural bridge. There was a close-up shot of them, and they stood out too much compared to the backdrop. As I said, the battle scenes were really good, and that was a lot of the effects.

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I would suggest reading the one book. You can read it quick enough, I don't think this movie's going to be gone from the theaters any time soon. And, yes, it's worth seeing in the theater.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'll be interested to see this movie, I was not a fan of the books as a child and still can't get through them as an adult (for reference I have read LOTR a number of times). This book just seemed too Goddy-goddy for me but I'm hoping they toned down the rampant christianity in the movie cause some of the effects look good.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The movie is not "gody gody" as suspected. You'd really have to know #1 the bible at all and the figures, and search hard.
    I agree the battle scenes were great because they rocked and didn't need extra blood. People were killed but you didn't see blood.
    I enjoyed the movie so much.

9. bigsteve3 macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about there being "rampant christianity" at all. I'm a Christian myself, and while watching the movie, I didn't notice any directly Christian references (other than the phrases "son of Adam" and "daughter of Eve"). I think that the strong connection to Christianity has been made by the readers and the general public, who aren't content to simply let the story stand on its own. I agree that the Narnia books do read a bit strangely, but I'm curious as to what you think about religious themes that pop up in Lord of the Rings (albeit to a lesser extent)?

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Tolkien considered the trilogy "...fundamentally religious and Catholic ..."

A Christian gestalt is overwhelming, as Ralph Wood points out.

Tolkien and CS Lewis were friends/colleagues, critiquing each other's work and the such ...

11. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Well, there was that whole Aslan giving his life up for the redemption of Edmund thing too, and then rising from the dead...

I just got back from seeing it, and it was alright. I loved the soundtrack, and the battle scenes were pretty good. I much preferred the book though. For me, the movie was simply a suppliment to the book.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

the movie was alright. it really stayed true to the book but some of the animals looked real fake. the acting by the older kids sucked....the little girl did a good job although she cried alot through the whole film. the "big" battle was nowhere near any battles from the LOTR....but it was fun to look at all those animals fighting each other.....could u believe they had the white tiger on the bad side.......but it was a good movie....nothing great.

P.S. if u are tired...please stay home do not sleep through the movie snoring and messing up the film for the people.

Bless

13. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I'm off to see it tomorrow night. I read and enjoyed the books when I was much younger, and I am quite interested to see how they have translated this into film. I'm not too worried about the supposed Christian influences - the themes are probably common across many films I have enjoyed in the past, and I feel I am mature enough to set these aside and enjoy the film for what it is.

(Ironic - being mature enough to watch what is basically a kid's film :p)

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I saw it last night myself. Fantastic movie. I have yet to read the books and frankly I'm going to hold off until after the second or third movie. (I did the same thing with LotR.)

I consider myself an anthropomorphics fan (Like you can't tell that from my avatar.) in that have animals replace human in literature, movies, games, TV shows, etc brings and interesting twist to what would normally be an average movie. Hollywood has dabbled in this genre, if you could even call it a genre, for years. Generally with cartoony type results. Roger the Rabbit, Planet of the Apes in its various incantations, Secret of NIMH, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Warriors of Virtue, Ice Age, Doctor Doolittle, Watership Down, The Fly, Dragonheart, Neverending Story, Harry and the Hendersons, Splash , American Werewolf in London/Paris, Beauty and the Beast, Cat People, Ladyhawke, and pretty much every Disney animation since the dawn of time. (We won't even get into video games.)
    All of these attempts have either been through pure 2d animation, puppets, elaborate costumes, or in recent years advancing CG. 2005 really showed the capabilities of Hollywood when it comes to creating synthetic creatures. Just look at the Brothers Grimm from this year. The details of the werewolf was spectacular. Basically we have gotten to the point that if you can dream it you can build it. And it doesn't HAVE to always be big named studios. As an example [​IMG]

Chronicles of Narnia has IMHO take things to the next level. I'm going to have to see it again but frankly the heart to heart talk between Aslan (Lion) and Peter looked real. Period. Everything in the movie itself from a CG standpoint seemed flawless.

As for the story. Again I have yet to read any of the books so I'm seeing this for the first time as a noob. Honestly it was a fantastic story but walking out of the theatre I felt like I only saw chapter 1 of the book that was spread out over a couple hours. (Yes I know there are more books to come.) I guess I was expecting something as grandiose as Fellowship of the Rings. Walking out of that theatre it felt like I saw the entire book. (even though I didn't.) Narnia: LWW felt like an appetizer to a main course. It will remove the hunger but you don't feel really full. IMHO of course. Frankly I need to see it again. There was so much going on that I think I just need to go back and soak in more of the story.

Overall I give it an 8.5 out of a possible 10. Quite possibly after seeing it for a second time it may turn into a 9 out of 10.

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

PS. Moderators or the owner of the thread might want to add (SPOILERS!) to the title. There is already one MAJOR spoiler in the thread.

16. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ditto. That was pretty obvious.

17. qtip919 macrumors 6502

So, just out of curiosity, do you have a problem with stories borrowing thematic elements from the bible?

In my opinion, those parts of the movie are the WHOLE point to the stories, and without them, you're missing the point.

Im always intrigued by people who enjoy the aspect of alt reality films yet are distracted and annoyed when biblical themes are introduced into their "fantasy time"

Using very good plots within alt reality to bring mature and complex Christian concepts is a brilliant accomplishment by both Tolkien and Lewis. These writers affected culture and modern thought that have incredible current impacts on modern story-telling (ie, the Matrix, Star Wars, etc. etc.)

Nowadays people are copying the methods of these two brilliant men and quite frankly, Im amazed that people in our time cant just get over it and accept the fact that if it wasnt for both of these men's deep commitment to Christ, these stories would never have come to light.

18. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I've read the whole series and can't wait till I get a chance to see this!

19. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I just watched this last night and was pretty entertained. My only complaint is Peter pointing the sword at everything like he was going to shoot someone with it.

The trailer for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie looked sweet. Keira Knightly still looks hot, edesignUK will be pleased to know. (as if there was ever a doubt ;) )

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Hopefully, we'll get to see it this weekend, but there's so much competition for our movie-going time. It drives me crazy that you go through most of the year with a bunch of lousy movies, and then all of a sudden at the end of the year they release all of the good ones. ;)

21. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

The papers referred to it as being from the first book, but my 11 year old just read the first one. It explains where the lamp post came from and the secrets of the wardrobe, etc. He talked my ear off for like 15 minutes on the way home from the movie. He really liked it. If you go to church, you'll dig the part (SPOILER AHEAD) where the white witch questions whether or not she could believe the lion and when he roared, she hit her knees - with everyone else. Every knee shall bow eh?

I thought it was a good movie. Pretty easy to guess what would happen next, but it's for the kids and if my boy's reaction is any indication, the movie was very entertaining for the target audience.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

I agree wholeheartedly. C.S. Lewis made it very clear in his writings about this series that this IS a Christian allegory, and that is very intentional. If this upsets people, so be it, but that is fact; the author certainly mde no apologies. On the other hand, Tolkein also made it very plain that LOTR was NOT an allegory, even going so far as to say that he really didn't like allegories (even though he and Lewis did indeed read and critique each other's work). They are both great stories, and can be viewed "on the surface", but the subject of this film has a much deeper meaning for all if they are open to it.

23. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Technically: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was written first, but Lewis wrote "The Magician's Nephew" later as a prequel to it, and specified that it should be the first one in the series. http://books.narnia.com/chronicles/cslewis/creation.html

24. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Ah, got it. Thanks :p

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I saw the movie last weekend. IMHO it is entertainingly good. The older girl who got the special bow and arrows only used it once? Huh? I mean if you are given a weapon that has special abilities wouldn't you use during the battle. And why, oh why have Polar Bears and Siberian Tigres on the "evil" side. I can understand that they are more arctic animals and the whole evil white/arctic witch. After seeing the Polar Bears I was waiting for the squadron of Penguins marching on the side of "good." And why still does Disney portray Wolves as mean, viscous and evil creatures?

The "good" army should have held the high ground more and those archers should have been showering the enemy below more than just one volley.

As for the whole Bible/god/religious theme I saw some within the movie. I greatly noticed a similarity to the Crusades and Richard I ("The Lion Heart").