Just saw this... New Marathon? Just look...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I saw this at the IMG forums. No questions asked, just see the thread and give your opinions... I am so thrilled by the way things are going...

Marathon 4 Thread

Apparently, Bungie wants to make a new Marathon game, but they want to make it mac-only, so Microsoft is starting to get pissed off.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm i've never played the original Marathon games, but i do like the sound of this. very nice of Bungee to go back to thier roots too.

thumbs up.

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Wow I hope thats true! (although I really really doubt it) I got into marathon way late in the game but what an awesome series.

Please Lord!

4. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yeah, I hope that M$ won't [expletive deleted] things up as they are used to do with most things. The Marathon games are the most intriguing and challenging games ever. They were outstanding at the moment of their release. They are also very fun to play now-even after 10 years.

I also hope that M$ dumbs Bungee so that Apple can buy them. Apple should have done this long ago.

BTW, why Bungee shows such interest in Apple?

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

They all got iPods ;)

6. Rovias macrumors member

Before they were bought out by M$, Bungie developed games for the Mac. Marathon 1, 2, and 3 were all Mac-only games, I do believe (but correct me if I'm wrong). Halo was also supposed to be Mac-only and began life as a third-person shooter. Once Microsoft told hold, that all changed, and the rest is history.

7. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'm not sure what to think. Having M$-bought companies producing games from the series that they had as independents (e.g. Perfect Dark Zero and Rareware) after many of the original people have left make me question quality and whether former fans will enjoy it.

On the other hand, if Bungie still has enough life to tout a Mac-only game and risk their relationship with M$ game studios, more power to them. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

It really somewhat makes sense...Marathon had a fairly large following. Not like OMG HALO R0X0RS "fans" they have now, but people truly devoted to the intricate story line they'd created. Seeing as how Marathon: Resurrection and Marathon Rampancy (for the original UT) and Aleph One came about, it's obvious that fans are still there. I still find it one of the best multiplayer games, and it's easy to develop maps for (with Infinity). When my friends and I have a LAN party, we often still end up playing Marathon.

Edit:Marathon 2 was for PC as well as Mac, but I'm not sure they were released at the same time.

8. blenderdude macrumors member

Grr, they shouldn't make Marathon yet, I want Halo 3!!! :mad:

But after that, they can go ahead and make whatever :D

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Marathon=Halo=Marathon no difference they could give marathon Halo 3's story and no one would notice :p

Its funny the idea of Microsoft terminating their relationship with bungie because without halo 3 the xbox 360 is up sh** creek without a padle...

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I would LOVE it if M$ dumped Bungie and Apple picked them up. Finally! The best FPS game mac-only again, the way it used to be. Those were the good days.

11. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yes, marathon 2 was for PC's too but it was released 5 years after the mac release.

12. Wrock macrumors newbie

I kind of doubt this rumor, as much as I'd like it to be true.

Of course, I've been wrong before. I doubted the Bungie-Microsoft buyout rumor too, since it initially came from a random anonymous source on the net.... just like this one....

Even if there is some thread of truth, there's no way Microsoft would let Bungie do M4 Mac only. Remember, after starting out as a Mac/PC title, Halo almost didn't make it to either platform, and a third party company ended up doing the port.

And haven't most of the original Bungie crew jumped ship, in order to join Wideload?

13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Any rumor like this is kinda awesome. I didn't ever figure that game would still be talked about by now, and it would be sweet if Bungie released another "official" Marathon. I'm all in for Marathon 4!! And if it doesn't happen...well I'll just keep busting out Aleph One :D

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the halo 2 engine uses havok, dont count on it

15. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am not counting on Havok, but I am counting on Bungie.

You seem to forget that Havok is not a part of Halo 2 engine. Havok is a physics engine and not a graphics engine. When we say that Marathon 4 will use Halo 2's engine we mean that it will use it's graphics engine and not it's Physics engine. That makes a big difference.

Nothing at all stops bungie implementing an upgraded Marathon Infinity psysics engine into Marathon 4 if they want.

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

17. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

:eek: ...HELL...YES.

I hope... I PRAY this is true. That would be so friggin' awesome! Don't get me wrong, I love all the spin-offs that other Marathoners have done to the storylines over the years, but none could hold a candle to a true Bungie release.

Please oh please oh please...

18. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Why does everyone care so much about having a mac only title? I would be much more happy if they made it for pc/xbox as well, that way they don't ruin the relationship they have with microsoft and. As long as it gets just as much attention with updates and programming as the pc/xbox version, like Blizzard did with WOW. Plus those of us with macs that arent top of the line can still play a good game on our console.

19. cubist macrumors 68020

That would be really cool. Imagine if there was an Xbox Marathon, and people really loved it, and there was an enhanced version for the Mac... what an advertisement for the platform!

20. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I really could care less what platform as long as it gets made. We would all know the true past anyway and could still feel better then the PC people.

21. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I feel that it would be better if Marathon was Mac-only.
    It was intended for the mac platform and that's the way it should remain.

I just wish that Apple would have bought Bungee when they had the chance...

22. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well I am not sure I am would we have the same halo we have today if apple was the one buying them. I doubt it. But what is past is past...

23. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Before being bought by M$, Bungie developed exclusively for Mac -- except for Marathon Infinity.

Oh how I'd love this new program provided it works on my year-and-a-half old 17" powerBook (1.33ghz w/64mb RAM). :cool:

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Marathon was fun - a lot like Halo in many ways, only limited by the tech at the time. A Halo 2/Marathon game would be quite cool.

The whole thing about Mac only is odd. There really isn't much sense in it, but who knows. I can't see MS disbanding Bungie over that though.

D

25. comic book guy macrumors newbie

comic book guy

Finally an addition to the Marathon series would be great! And by the way as long as it works perfectly on the mac the windows folks may play it too!