just seen X2

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, May 2, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

...and it was crap.

VERY cheesy, very predictable but i guess that's to be expected. Ah well, it kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Someone said that X2 isn't out in the states for a few days yet, is that the case?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i was walking down 23rd st in nyc yesterday and saw tickets being sold for midnight last night, so yeah, it's here in new york for sure.

ah well, cheers for the heads up, wasn't all that excited about it anyways, and i'll definitely wait for dvd now then. as for M2 and T3, bring 'em on!!!!

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

chuff yeah!! interesting fact for the day re matrix II:

Andy Hunter (dj who did one of the tracks for one of the trailers) uses the vocals of my friend (Cathy Burton - http://www.cathyburton.co.uk/ - i made the website, thoughts?) on his album! Very cool. Unfortunately, Andy's track won't make it onto the OST as he didn't have a 5.1 mix of the track as the OST is being released on DVDA/SACD. Annoyingly, the day after the deadline for the OST submissions, Andy got a call from M$ who offered to pay for him to remix the track for them!! Grrr.

<plug>Cathy burton, check out the site!</plug>

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was going to see it today with a friend, but it was sold out,
    so we wen't to his house and watched 'the ring' which was
    very freaky. :)

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I saw it earlier today. The visual effects looked great, especially the scenes my uncle worked on ;)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, I saw it today and thought it was quite good - entertaining and I definitely want to see X-Men III :D

Sure it had its predictable moments, but it was actually a good story and better than the first one.

D

7. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I liked it.

I must be getting sentimental. I used to collect X-men comics back when there was only one title (remember those days?) and when Chris Claremont and John Byrnes were really the big boys who shook things up.

So, I guess watching the movie was more about visiting my childhood. I like all of the casting choices.

One point: Afterwards, I did find the overall build of the story more akin to a television show and less of a climax as the first movie. Additionally, the multiple storylines woven into the story made it a little convoluted. But with such a large cast, I suppose that is to be expected. The X-universe is so friggin' huge at this point, all the major plot points of the comics need to be compressed and distilled into 2 hour increments.

But then again, they're probably going to make another 4 to 5 movies and call it quits. :D

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I just got back from seeing it 20 minutes ago....

MUCH better than the first. Visuals were awesome, story....entertaining.

The only beef I have with it is the end...I wont say any more in case anyone who reads this hasnt seen it.

ibookin': Where does your uncle work/what did he do on it?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

personally i LOVED it, i think it was one of the best movies i've seen in a long time. Tho i identified with it a lot more than many, with the gay undertones-- tho i'm sure most people didn't realize that's what the movies are about, think about it. Loved the visual effects, liked the character development for the most part, and the story was pretty good... all in all, i'd say it's about 5-stars...

pnw

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Do you know enough about the story to know where it was going? the end sets up just about perfectly for a certain character to be in the 3rd movie-- Hard not to spoil it, but they did what they did for a reason :)

pnw

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well my friends and i got tickets wednesday. we went to chilis and then got to the theater about 5 min before it started. every damn seat was gone. all 3 of us had to sit in the FIRST row with the 7 year olds. all i can say is it was like working at my moms 23inch flat panel, you kindof have to turn your head to the see the other end of the screen, but with the movie my neck started to hurt. but it was a great movie, matrix is next on the list. then NEMO, ah yeah. its gonna be good.

iJon

12. vniow macrumors G4

Gay undertones?
    I read a review that mentioned that also, I just never knew how they would fit into the story (saw the first, haven't gone to see the second)

What's that all about?

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i know what you mean. i came into work and i told my co worker about it because he wanted to know it was good. i was telling him some stuff about the movie, then being the comic book guru he is he told me everything about who dies, who goes to the dark side and everything other xmen thing i needed to know to spoil the plot for x3 which im sure will happen.

iJon

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yea

The end. Jane is still alive if you guys didnt know. Well, my dad said that anyways. He said he read all the comics, and Jane never ever died.

I guess the comics and the movie really were integrated. He said even Shadow Crawler? (guy who teleports) always left a smokey residue wherever he transported.

Kinda coo. I wanna see III

15. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

He has his own company. I'm not sure all of the stuff he did, but he did work on the dam (which was NOT cgi) and the fire for Pyro (also real).

And, yes, I did get to go on the set.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

The whole idea of a group of people shunned by the rest of the population, denied rights, persecuted by friends and family. Having to "come out" as a mutant. The two lines that are most obvious: "Have you ever tried not being a mutant?" and (paraphrasing) "you can look like everyone else, why not do it?" "Because we shouldn't have to".

The cast commentary on the first movie talked a lot about the minority connection, how many minorities can hide what they are/be expected to change?

I mean, it's not ALL about gay, but it's definitely there... I don't think it was the original intent when the Xmen were created, but it's evolved. There was even a "legacy virus" that strongly resembled AIDS in some story lines (comic books or regular books I don't know)...

BTW, macaztec, you just spoiled it twice :p

pnw

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats awesome, which parts of the movie were you on the sets for.

iJon

18. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wait

Doesnt Jene come back as Pheonix? Can someone clarify this?

19. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i wasnt too impressed with the German teleporter, pretty lame i thought, his role started off so well in the white house too! I kept expecting him to say "scheisse" (Goldmember) too which didn't help!!

Did anyone else notice that the x-jet was the size of 3 police cars in the scene with the flamethrowing dude? it looked sooooo bad and really out of proportion; you could only put 4 people (all lying down) in it!

20. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Yes I do. I just hate when a movie end with a voice over.

21. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

X-Men 2 - In Japan

Saw it last night here (May 3rd) in Japan...really enjoyed it...yes it had some predictable scenes...yes the effects were great...yes the ending was a bit lame (don't know anyting about the comics/novels to know if this was set up based on the 'mythology')...but overall a very entertaining movie...as the mutant movie reviewer said 'three thumbs up'...!!!

On a side note, have we all gotten to the stage in our movie-watching life that all these great special effect are becoming 'mainstream' and we aren'tas impressed as we used to be? I mean, speacial effects have come so far (and we can do some good stuff on our macs at home, too) that we always expect the best? And if something doesn't push the envelope further we feel let down?...thoughts?

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Given that I don't know squat about the X-Men universe and story line - it doesn't surprise me the Jean survives. At the end you go over the river and there is a shadow of a bird like figure (guess its a Phoenix from the post above) in the water.

Beside, killing off Femke Jensen's role would be a shame...;)

D

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ah yeah, i get it know, i dont know anything about xmen either, thats why i liked it so much. but my coworker explained everything for me so i could understand things better.

iJon

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've just got back from seeing it....and....

...I thought it ROCKED! :D