Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I've had an Iphone 5, 5s and 6 and they were great phones. I was looking to transition to a larger screen with the 6s plus, but the uninspiring design turned me off. If Apple had deleted the home button and integrated fingerprint and home keys into the screen and reduced the head and chin area, in favor of screen real estate, I would have been onboard. Instead, I purchased a Nexus 6 which I am very happy with. I will revisit Apple if they decide to make a better large phone in 2016.

Reactions: apolloa

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
Good luck with that phone. Android is a strict no-go for me.
I'm pleased that the front of the iPhone gives you a place where to put your thumb. Gives me in same situations a more secure grip.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
A Change is a good as a rest.

Any noticeable differences between the iPhone and your current one ?

Enjoy your choice.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'm thinking of giving Android a go, rather than getting a 6(S) Plus in October. Mostly thinking about the Samsung phones, but I have given the Nexus 6 a thought. Any advice?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I purchased a Nexus 6 which I am very happy with. I will revisit Apple if they decide to make a better large phone in 2016.

Good luck with your purchase, but given the popular the 6+ is I don't think you'll a "better" larger phone from apple. On the Nexus side its a solid phone though like the 6 I think it may be at the near the end of the lifecycle and it is a bit pricey.[/QUOTE]

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm thinking of giving Android a go, rather than getting a 6(S) Plus in October. Mostly thinking about the Samsung phones, but I have given the Nexus 6 a thought. Any advice?

Personally, I'm a fan of what Motorola has done with the first 2 versions of the Moto X and am VERY anxious to see what the new one announced this week does. Is there a particular reason you're focused on Samsung? Even outside Motorola I think there are better options out there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The nexus 6 is a nice phone but is overpriced at $649, especially when you consider the Moto X Style will be available starting at $399.

It also is a very wide phone which makes it feel even bigger in the hand than almost all other phones / phablets and it's rear shell is an absolute terror for fingerprints / grease gathering (a dBrand skin is a must). My biggest issue with it however is the poor outdoor visibility of the screen, it is very weak in outdoor daylight scenarios - hopefully that's been addressed with the Moto X Style and the forthcoming Nexus devices.

The Style will be replacing my Nexus 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Personally, I'm a fan of what Motorola has done with the first 2 versions of the Moto X and am VERY anxious to see what the new one announced this week does. Is there a particular reason you're focused on Samsung? Even outside Motorola I think there are better options out there.

Thanks for replying. I initially dismissed Samsung at first, but around a week ago, I tried the S6 at a store, and I loved it. The reason why I'm considering the Nexus 6 is because I want a big phone, which is a big plus, but I like the design of the S6, and I'm not too fond of stock Android, so it sort of cancels it out. And the S6 is already a reasonable size. The new Moto X sounds good, but they killed it by removing AMOLED, which was a huge mistake.
And then there's the price. As MRU says, the Nexus is quite overpriced, and the S6 is getting a price drop soon, so it would hypothetically be a pretty good price.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I thought the price of the Nexus 6 price dropped about a month ago and buying renowned saves even more.

That said the new Moto X would be only $399 and a smaller size to boot.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought the price of the Nexus 6 price dropped about a month ago and buying renowned saves even more.

That said the new Moto X would be only $399 and a smaller size to boot.

Perhaps in USA, however its still €649 ($719) here from our Google site.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I've had an Iphone 5, 5s and 6 and they were great phones. I was looking to transition to a larger screen with the 6s plus, but the uninspiring design turned me off. If Apple had deleted the home button and integrated fingerprint and home keys into the screen and reduced the head and chin area, in favor of screen real estate, I would have been onboard. Instead, I purchased a Nexus 6 which I am very happy with. I will revisit Apple if they decide to make a better large phone in 2016.

Good for you, I suppose. Personally, the fact that you felt the need to make a thread about you selling your iPhone 6 to get a Nexus 6 makes me think you needed to reinforce your decision and eliminate any doubt. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 6 is certainly a fantastic phone (a bit too big for me personally; I wish they would have updated the Nexus 4 or 5 at the same time) but I'm just not sure what the point of this thread is.

Enjoy your purchase.

Reactions: bbfc and Oohara

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I'm loving my 6 plus. The home button is one of the things I missed the most when I switched to a HTC One (M7). But there is no one phone that is perfect for everyone. Enjoy your new Nexus 6.

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I just bought a 6 plus to replace my Note4, I just got fed up with the Note 4 even though it's a superior phone to the 6 plus it was just too unreliable. From a purely design viewpoint I'd pick the 6 plus over the Nexus 6. They both thankfully have no logos or branding on the front, giving them that beautiful blacked out look. The 6 plus is aluminum, has that awesome heft and is very thin where the nexus 6 is plasticky, really really thick and while it feels solid it still feels kind of cheap. The Nexus 6 has nicer bezels though, although they are ruined IMO by the onscreen buttons taking up space. The 6 plus loses in that category with its humongous bezels. I'm confused why Apple kept the top bezel so huge, aesthetically I could care less if it matches the bottom bezel and I don't think anyone else does either.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I just bought a 6 plus to replace my Note4, I just got fed up with the Note 4 even though it's a superior phone to the 6 plus it was just too unreliable. From a purely design viewpoint I'd pick the 6 plus over the Nexus 6. They both thankfully have no logos or branding on the front, giving them that beautiful blacked out look. The 6 plus is aluminum, has that awesome heft and is very thin where the nexus 6 is plasticky, really really thick and while it feels solid it still feels kind of cheap. The Nexus 6 has nicer bezels though, although they are ruined IMO by the onscreen buttons taking up space. The 6 plus loses in that category with its humongous bezels. I'm confused why Apple kept the top bezel so huge, aesthetically I could care less if it matches the bottom bezel and I don't think anyone else does either.

I did this...plus I wanted the apple watch. I do miss Android though :(

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Congrats and welcome. :)

I hope the Nexus 6 can fufill all your needs. As an Android and iOS user, I'd find it hard to fully transition to just 1 or the other.
Although, I do use my Note 4 90% of the time and my iPad the remainder. I find it much easier to live with Android, my Note 4 feels more like a do it all tool, from being able to connect to any computer and take or put files without any SW, to the multi view multitasking, allowing me to look at a report Document while typing insights on the Email in the same screen :)

Welcome to the awesome world of Android.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
If only Google made the Nexus 6 the size of the Nexus 5, but with better specs. The N6 is bigger than the 6Plus, which is ridiculous.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I did this...plus I wanted the apple watch. I do miss Android though :(

Sigh, got a fraudulent transaction, I guess it was too good to be true. I'm going to hold out with my Note 4 until the Samsung announcement, then I might have to hold out for the iPhone announcement. I'm still vacillating but if the S6 edge plus is as thin as the iPhone and if by miraculous chance they make touchwiz run lag free then I'll go that route.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sigh, got a fraudulent transaction, I guess it was too good to be true. I'm going to hold out with my Note 4 until the Samsung announcement, then I might have to hold out for the iPhone announcement. I'm still vacillating but if the S6 edge plus is as thin as the iPhone and if by miraculous chance they make touchwiz run lag free then I'll go that route.

??? What do you mean spinedoc ... No iPhone ??? :(

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
??? What do you mean spinedoc ... No iPhone ??? :(

Nope, sigh. Some joker on swappa took my money and never sent it. Now I have to wait 10 days for them to not respond to PayPal so I get my money back. My fear is they closed up the bank account and took the money and ran, not sure if PayPal will reimburse me if that's the case.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nope, sigh. Some joker on swappa took my money and never sent it. Now I have to wait 10 days for them to not respond to PayPal so I get my money back. My fear is they closed up the bank account and took the money and ran, not sure if PayPal will reimburse me if that's the case.

Sorry to hear that matey. You will get your money back from Paypal regardless of what the seller has done, so you are protected there. I speak from experience of being conned on a couple of occasions through our own version of online classified, and the last time was for a new motorola X 2014 on eBay - the seller didn't send and closed their account.... Sadly there are some horrid thieving dicks in the world .... Hope it gets sorted for you sooner rather than later - but yeah waiting for PayPal resolution centre is a pain - but at least you know there will be a refund at the end of it.

Reactions: spinedoc77

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Damn that sucks

Doubt you will use PayPal again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.