just some food for thought

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 2, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    what would happen if M$ died.....

sure mac would probably rise and become a very large comapny with a large market share. but to me i think that it would be a bad thing. Apple is kinda the secret that the computers savy kno about. would things get better for us the consumer if apple had 98% of the market share.

Hey its just me but id like Apple to have no more than 20% of the computer market so that it doesnt sellout and become like dell

but what i kno
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    If MicroSoft died, Macs wouldn't rise from the ashes right away. Linux would get a big kick in the pants, specifically since that's something you can actually load onto a PC. Unless Apple came out with a PC version of OSX, it wouldn't change much.

That being said, MicroSoft is pretty much here to stay. So this argument has no where to go...;)

3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    while apple has shown themselves, through several ceo's, to be an innovative hardware company with a better operating system, the company has never been tops in the business department and apple's market share would only increase slightly

definitely linux would be the next logical choice for ex-windows users
  4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    yah..if ms died..linux would rule..even now..with longhorn coming in 2006, and ms saying that it wont extend support to windows 98 and ME, many experts feel its the best opportunity for linux to be the main desktop os.
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    All empires rise and fall.

Hard to imagine.... but so will M$'s empire. This history lessen makes me sleep better :p
  6. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    20 % marketshare! I wish Apple HAD 20% market share. It would be a heaven. 3% makes Mac user a Red book beast.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    microsoft came in near the beginning of personal computers and will be around when personal computers as a major product comes to an end

somewhere along the line, some sort of wearable or portable computer along the lines of a pda in size will dominate sales and the standard desktop and laptop, for most people, will disappear...i think microsoft will be there when that happens

there have been a lot of people who have predicted the "shrinking" of the personal computer to the point of not being seen on the desktop or the "integration" of it to a point where nobody thinks of it as a separate product

i remember when computers first came out in cars and were a big enough deal to included in the advertising...today, it's no big deal and they have virtually disappeared through slick integration...they are still there but nobody talks about them...computers will do the same one day and this whole personal computer revolution will not make much money for the hp and microsofts of this world
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    what i would like to see for the future of office and home office computing would be a computer and monitor fully built into an attractive wooden table...something, where when not in use, looks just like a table or desk with no cables or peripherals in sight...any peripherals bought later could be used wirelessly

have the lcd screen pop up out of the desk and the keyboard be some sort of heat sensitive touchpad just under the surface of the wood...also have all optical drives be slot loading at the edge of the wooden table or desk and have the printer also be integrated under the tabletop

i think future miniaturization can make all this possible and cheap enough to where a product like this will not be called a table with a built in computer, but a table for home office or office

the computer as we know it as a stand alone and marketable product would basically disappear
  9. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Re: just some food for thought

I don't mean to be an ass, but a Mac is a computer, Apple is the company that makes it.

That said, I've often wondered the same thing. The problem is that MS has gotten so big, with so much money that I honestly think that they would be able to buy themselves out of any trouble they get into. What I mean is that with so much money, even if they get burned by some new tech that somehow was developed off of their radar (yeah, right), they could spend enough up front, take a loss and catch up to whoever has the new tech. They've already done it a couple of times now.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Re: Re: just some food for thought

I'm glad someone else said it this time. ;)

Anyway, Apple would be just as much a bully as Microsoft. In fact, they were in the mid-1980s. If you think I'm spouting nonsense, do some research on Digital Research, Atari, and GEM vs. Apple.

It's better to have a mix of machines and operating systems.