Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Just spoke with Apple, Cases WILL NOT begin shipping until 4/3. He said that only a very small fraction of cases had already begun shipping but they will most certainly NOT be delivered on the 3rd. He said they will begin shipping them out that day. I lied and said that I had already spoke with someone else who said the opposite and he said he can assure me that we will not get our cases until the next week. LAME.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Hmmmm... I didn't ask about that. I assume they will be available then.

I can just see something happening to it. I work in an ER and am the most Apple obsessed but EVERYONE has iPhones and loves them esp since we get a 24% discount from AT&T. Anyway, I promised everyone I'd bring it in on Sunday and I can just see people setting it down and turning it while its laying there on the counter scratching the back up... NOOOOOOO!

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Honestly I'd rather not get my iPad until I have the case to go with it. I KNOW something is going to happen to it, a scratch or SOMETHING.... however, I also know I am going to be pissed when I get my case if I find out that I am unable to fold it flat backwards like a notebook...

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
my case is shipping on the 3rd. i should have it soon. I might be going to bestbuy in the morning and buying the apple case, and then when i get it delivered ill just return the new one to bestbuy.

monksealpup

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu, HI, USA
Honestly I'd rather not get my iPad until I have the case to go with it. I KNOW something is going to happen to it, a scratch or SOMETHING.... however, I also know I am going to be pissed when I get my case if I find out that I am unable to fold it flat backwards like a notebook...

So just don't open the box until the case arrives. What's the big deal?

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
If my case doesn't arrive Saturday I will try to get one at the local apple stores in my area. Don't want any scratches

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Just get the iPad and leave it home until you get a case. Simple solution.

If you use it at home and don't put it on a hard surface or drop it you won't scratch it. Plus we don't even know how scratch resistant it is yet.

Westin

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
My solution:

Going to an ASC Bestbuy and getting one, then canceling my order for one

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You sound like steve jobs.

Clever ;).

I've got to say that I definitely want my iPad in a case from day one. Aluminum isn't too difficult to damage, so I'm going to hope there's an Apple iPad case available when I pick mine up on launch day. Afterwards, I might buy another case if the Apple-designed case isn't too great, but it's better than nothing. Apple should invest research into making devices very scratch resistant during normal usage.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I don't see how this is news given that the accessories have always said ships by 4/3 (at the earliest) as opposed to delivers by 4/3 like the iPad itself.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hardly. We'll have the iPad. Come up with something temporary, and it'll be fine.
I agree, one layer of glad (plastic) wrap, remove the area over the screen, a layer of bubble wrap, remove the area over the screen, then finally 5 layers of glad wrap, and remove the area over the screen.

The perfect home made solution -- it bounces too.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Hell tell us more about this 24% discount...........

I work for Baptist Health Care at Baptist Hospital ER and AT&T offers us a 24% discount. I guess it depends on the (deal?) between your company and AT&T... I will say we have the highest I have seen. My father was in the military and he only gets 15%.

Anyway, I really did have high hopes that my case would deliver the same day as my iPad. :(

I agree, one layer of glad (plastic) wrap, remove the area over the screen, a layer of bubble wrap, remove the area over the screen, then finally 5 layers of glad wrap, and remove the area over the screen.

The perfect home made solution -- it bounces too.

GREAT IDEA!

-1 :p

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just put it in a large ziplock bag. Touch screen will work through it. I've done this before with an iPod touch. I was going to do the ziplock bag with the iPad, but I found that a local elctronics store has some iPad cases in stock, so I plan to go there before Saturday to pick one up.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Woo hoo!

I'll have my case before the iPad 3G arrives.

Maybe I can get one of those cardboard iPads and put it in the case. When people ask me how it works I can tell them it's locked-up for some reason and will not reboot!!! Oh well.....

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I work for Baptist Health Care at Baptist Hospital ER and AT&T offers us a 24% discount. I guess it depends on the (deal?) between your company and AT&T... I will say we have the highest I have seen. My father was in the military and he only gets 15%.

I work for Turner Broadcasting and we currently get 30% off but their discounts are semi restrictive such as the iPhone data plan of course. Oh we also get 50% off devices and accessories :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I work for Turner Broadcasting and we currently get 30% off but their discounts are semi restrictive such as the iPhone data plan of course. Oh we also get 50% off devices and accessories :)

DANG! Ours, however, isn't at all restricted.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I don't see how this is news given that the accessories have always said ships by 4/3 (at the earliest) as opposed to delivers by 4/3 like the iPad itself.

I've seen several of these posts. I don't know why the verbage is so confusing

Ships by 4/3 means they have until 4/3 to ship the product. It's delivery padding. That does not mean they can't ship it early. Amazon does this all the time, and usually my product comes several days earlier.

Delivered 4/3 leaves no room for debate.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I've seen several of these posts. I don't know why the verbage is so confusing

Ships by 4/3 means they have until 4/3 to ship the product. It's delivery padding. That does not mean they can't ship it early. Amazon does this all the time, and usually my product comes several days earlier.

Delivered 4/3 leaves no room for debate.

That's the point of this thread. There is no "by 4/3" He specifically told me it won't ship UNTIL 4/3. None of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.