Just started folding - anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Heb1228, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Ok I think I got everything up and running without much of a problem. Any advice on how to get the best results? (I'm doing the folding@home one.)

Also... I'm doing this on my Powerbook, which I take to class sometimes and will probably want to stop folding then to save battery life. Do I just quit terminal? Will it lose the work its done up to that point if it hasn't finished a work unit?

Also, is there some kind of progress monitor or anything in the console version? In the graphical version? Any other things i should know?

2. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

That it runs like a charm (I've used the terminal and gui versions, but have only used the gui on my g5), and that the F@H FAQ has some good info.

Check project summary to see details on the protein you're working on, including links to a description (my current protein), which may mean nothing to most of us, but is handy to show friends when describing the lil' app running hidden on the computer.:D

Of course, one should also look at the linkity link in numerous sigs leading to the well written Macrumors Folding info page.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Your powerbook will get hot and the fan will be constantly running while you are folding. I suggest a targus coolpad with fans to keep it cool and to keep the loud PB fan from running. I have one, and it works like a charm. Keeps my PB folding quietly :)

4. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks! Good info. Sorry for the confusion!

I've got mine on an iCurve now so I think I'll be good. The fan's been running about half the time. I think I'm on "Automatic" processor setting right now. Changing it to highest probably would make it run constantly. You think I'd get a whole lot more done on the higher setting? I changed it the other day cause I was tired of my fans running too much.

5. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

increase

I've been running my powerbook a couple years straight now, cool pad, iCurve work great, keeping it raised helps cooling a lot.

Increase is a great little program that allows you to set folding to pause when on battery and applications you list.

6. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Great suggestion! Thats the kind of thing I was looking for! DLing now.