Just Switched: Transfer addressbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phatpat, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I just got a friend to switch to mac. She had quite an extensive addressbook in Outlook Express. I don't have access to a pc at the moment, so I can't really explore. Is there an easy way to transfer all her contacts from the outlook express address book to the Address Book program in OS X?
  2. alia macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    This may be the wrong answer, but I'm pretty positive that Address Book can read standard vcards. Your friend should be able to export her contacts from Outlook as vcards and then open them in address book that way.

3. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

May 5, 2002
    Gold Coast, Australia
    You could use Window's Address Book to export all her contacts into vCard files-but one at a time. To do this:
    1. Start menu-Programs-Accessories-Address Book or in XP, Start-All Programs-Accessories-Address Book.
    2. In Window's Address Book accessory, select one contact to export .
    3. Go to File-Export-Business Card (vCard) and then save it.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each other contact you want.
  4. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    you can export all of the contacts from outlook exspress as a comma separated value (.CSV) which I am pretty sure Address book will let you import. (i can't try it as my Powerbook doesnt get here for a week or so)

Also i am not sure if address book will import the microsoft standard .WAB file, but thats worth a shot also.
  5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Export them as TSV

I made the switch a couple of months ago, and basically had the same problem. I did an export of the Windows Address Book as a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file, only to later find out that OSX's address book can only import TAB separated Value (TSV) files. Nothing a quick sed script couldn't fix, though...
  6. peterj1967 macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2002