Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Hey all
I have been watching this board for the past two years. I have vacillated between a mac and a pc laptop. well today i bought a stock 17" imac. set it up and lovin' every mac minute of it!!
I have to say that the out of box experience is pretty cool. I wish that I would have switched sooner.
As an educator, i got a really sweet deal on the computer, a 10gig ipod, applecare and a couple of games.
a couple of questions: I am trying to load all my music from my pc laptop onto my ipod to bring over to my imac. i was able to bring over my downloaded songs, but songs i had ripped on widos media would not go over. I got a message saying that i needed to download something in order to do this. by the way, the music match software is NOT intuitive at all!!
my other question is: I have this great computer...now what. I mainly spend my time with internet, email, word processing... basic stuff. would are some cool things to do with this baby. i am looking forward to making movies and playing with iphoto. any other suggestions?
and finally: i bought diablo 2 and it seems to really operate slugglishly on this machine. i set the video on Rave but should it be set to some other setting? I am not familiar with mac hardware at all. also when the game loaded, i breifly got a QS9.2 screen. What's up with that??
I am going to bed now so i'll check back tomorrow after noon
thanks all.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The song files require Windows Media Player for OSX. The game is probably a classic game, which means it only opens in a previous version of the Mac OS(this OS is 9.2, that's why you see the screen). There should be a place on the Blizzard site to download a patch to fix it, but I do not know much about games.

If you wanna do some cool, but usually pointless things on your iMac, turn on Speakable Items(open system preferences, and it is in "Speech"). Your computer will be able to do certain tasks just by talking to it, which can be useful if you wanna shout across the room for your computer to do something.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Welcome! I know what you mean about how you should've switched earlier - I felt like that when I switched too :)

Regarding Diablo 2, there's an OS X patch available on Blizzard's website. Start up the game and log into Battle.net and it will download the latest update and install it. You can then install the OS X patch from Blizzard's site.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Even though the media player files will play in WMP, it's probably a good idea to phase out your usage of that because.. mp3's and aac's are just better. Keep in mind though, that if you rip music in AAC format through iTunes, people on PC's may have issues playing them.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Yeah, MMJB sucks major anus.

One of the biggest things I missed when I 'switched' (from a Mac to a PC) was iTunes.

But I've found that Windows Media Player has the second best file organization methods.

And you are also correct in the whole taking it out of the box thing. It is an amazing experience. Its like a whole lifetime of Christmas mornings packed into that one box, or something. There would be nothing in the world that would make me happier than to see a dual 2Ghz G5 on my doorstep. ;)

scem0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.