just think, right now some clueless bastard is buy a Dell.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nybombers142, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I hate to burst your bubble man, but there really isn't anything wrong with Dell machines. I just recently bought myself a Powerbook G4 but I was also considering the Dell 600M laptop which is a very capable machine, and I suspect its quite a bit quicker than my Powerbook.

In any case, Dell machines, and Apples as well have their place. Both are from decent companies and are decent products.

2. hanq macrumors member

yeah... but if i were to get a laptop i would get a vaio or something. and if it was a desktop i'd put it together myself

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

No doubt the Sony laptops are nice as well. They make some pretty slick looking, super thin notebooks. I myself have a PC I put together myself. I wouldn't have it any other way.

4. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Tell that to my former manager. Dead screen, dead optical drive, both on the same Dell laptop. I don't remember a precise model number, but it was basically useless right out of the box, and he's not the only person I know to have that problem.

I know far more people who have problems with their Dells, proportionally adjusted, than mac users who have problems with their machines.

5. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Why do people always put down Dell's?!

Look at every review, and you will see that Dell's generally come out on top. Sony's and many other brands are rated low simply because their performance is never up to par. Then try buying spare parts (batteries, etc) for something like a vaio, and see why so many prefer Dell.

Not only that, but I have had Dell laptops with great satisfaction as well, simply because when something goes wrong they are easily fixed or upgraded. Not sure if you know, but many Dell laptops have easily upgraded video cards and processors. Ask a vaio owner how hard it is simply to open up one of them.

Sure a vaio is eye-candy, kind of like the powerbook. But there is a reason why most in the corporate world would never consider a vaio. Thinkpad and Dells are probably leaders, while the ones in the stores can be considered "toys". Speak all you want of the plasticky feel of Dell, but for many heavy PC laptop users, Dell is a better machine than Vaios, HPs and Compaq. It really is almost given.

That said, since there aren't to many ultraportables like it, my wife has the Sony TR :)

6. Nybombers142 thread starter macrumors member

you put a ugly, bloated looking dell next to a G4 powerbook, and somebodys gonna walk away crying.

dells are like gerbals. By um by the dozen, but dont expect it to last long. (or get you laid. ;) )

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's probably better to own a Dell, than to be the Dell Dork.

That "Dude, you're getting a Dell." was getting a little tiring. :rolleyes:

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Stay away from the Viao's! They may look nice, but they are riddled with issues. Literally, everyone I've ever known who has had a Viao has said they will never own another Viao.

The best PC laptops, hands down, are the IBM ThinkPads. They are fabulous PC laptops.

My mom has a Dell. It's got a nice screen, but it's just so bulky and it has so many akward curves.

9. brhmac macrumors regular

Say what you will about Dell and the people who buy them...

... but I bet they have better things to do than criticize people who buy Macs.

10. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

my dell notebook served me well for a few years. good machine. the real problem was going through their god awful support. you'd get 4 solutions that counteracted each other. 4 out of 7 times it was windoze though. i wouldn't know how much better mac support is for my powerbook cause i never had to use it :)

11. kmarketing macrumors 6502

I agree with the thinkpads, but...

When it comes to gaming and performance, it's hard to find others that can match Dell specs.

Consider the latest models have 4x dvd burners, 128mb video cards, sxga and uxga widescreens, etc., and see what other laptops can have those - maybe alienware? Who seriously is looking into those machines that run over 10lbs and have a battery life under 2 hours.

Also, I looks at resale values, and I think Dell's hold their own. The thinkpads are built great and generally have great battery life, but they won't have the dvd burners and video cards. The thinkpads are perfect for the corporate world, but I think Dell has its place also.

I really can't tell you how great (and fun) it is, and how easy it is to open up a Dell laptop. I literally built a Dell laptop from parts that I bought on ebay. That said, I have never had a problem with a Dell, and when I wanted to upgrade something it was always the easiest job.

Sure compared to a powerbook, or even to a vaio, it may cosmetically not be much, but compare the Dell Inspiron 8600 specs to other PC laptops and you can see what type of deals they are.

Just to let you know, I bought an 8600 for just under $1000.
    These were my specs:
    1.3ghz Centrino Processor (Pentium M)
    512mb DDR Memory
    80gb Hard Drive
    4x DVD Burner
    64mb 4200 Video Card
    Integrated Wireless
    15" WIdescreen SXGA+ (1680*1050 resolution)
    4+ hour batttery
    Windows XP Pro

The truth is that this 8600 can pretty much beat the 17" Powerbook that I have in most if not all applications. And the cost is so much less. Sure you may say I will sacrifice looks, and construction. But try to find another laptop where you can have the same specs, and buy spare batteries for $50 on ebay, or an upgradeable 128mb video card that you can swap for another $200.

Sorry, but for a PC laptop user who really knows the PC laptop market, Dell is just hard to beat.

I see many apple users who bash dell, and I wonder how many of them really had one. Did they just follow the forums or something? Doing my research on the 15" powerbooks I saw many people who had issues with them also. But even though many people who posted on forums had problems (that's generally why people post, no?), I'm certain so many more people had great experiences. Considering how many people buy Dells, and how many people are satisfied with them, and buy newer Dells, I'm thinking Dell is pretty good. They, just like Apple, have their sour machines, but I'm sure the ratio is pretty good.

Geez, I feel like a salesperson for Dell. Excuse me for that!! Meanwhile I love my 17" Powerbook :eek: !!

Thanks for letting me vent a little!!

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Nothing wrong with dell

For most people a Dell notebook will meet all their needs and then some. And they are reasonably priced. Design wise though, no where near an ibook or powerbook. The Style of an Apple is superior. I like the IBM Thinkpads too. The only bad thing about them, is that the 1997 model, looks exactly like the 2004 model. I mean vintage look is in, but sheeeesh.

13. zamyatin macrumors regular

Like Michael Dell, who has long loved to criticize Apple, all the while his company is aping everything Apple does. It's hard to forgive that android for saying that Apple should be sold off in pieces to mollify its shareholders.

He has no personality, no creativity, and nothing to justify his existence, just like his company.

14. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

they don't still have the three button trackpad and eraserhead do they? my mum has a 2002 model, and those suckers are built like a brick. the dell notebooks may have killer hardware, but they always felt flimsy compared to the thinkpad.