Just tried to buy an XBox360

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gwuMACaddict, Nov 22, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

First, at the local Costco. Then at the BestBuy next door. Lines were HUGE.

Have to confess, I have no interest in the thing, but wanted to turn a quick profit on ebay ;) :D

Apparently all of the stores in the DC area were only allotted between 10 and 30 of the machines... wierd. At least thats what we were told.

I didn't arrive in time to get one.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You'll burn more money in gas looking for one than you'd make in profit right now. It's a jungle out there.:eek:

Maybe they'll have more on Black Friday?

3. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Eh... it was a 2 minute drive for me from work... figured it was worth a shot...

Amazed at the lines of people though!! And why would MS only give 20or so to each store?:confused:

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Think how many stores there are in the US... and don't forget that they're getting ready to release the 360 in Europe and Japan VERY shortly. Supplies are going to be thin everywhere.

5. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

so why not just MAKE MORE OF THEM?

not yelling at you, just... really confused... if they *know* people will want them, why even bother with this fake supply/demand crap. manufacture more boxes

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

My guess is they didn't want the extra cost that would come with boosting up manufacturing. It still would have been nice to at least have a chance to get one though.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Perhaps they're making them as quickly as they can? Supply and demand is a time-tested notion... they're not going to set up more assembly lines than they think they'll need for the long run, so in the short term, there are going to be shortages.

8. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

and i understand that the "fake" supply shortages create publicity- free publicity- that may entice other people to think, 'hey- if its that popular, maybe i need one'

i guess i'm just amazed at the whole gotta-have-it video game culture

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Have you read some of the posts on THIS site concerning PBs, iPods, 30" ACDs, etc.? :rolleyes:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The old "Tickle My Elmo" syndrome. :eek:

11. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

touche- i suppose the materialism in general.... but thats a discussion for another day...

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I ain't ticklin' your Elmo or anything else of yours. :eek:

13. jeffzoom macrumors member

AND HILARITY INSUES *wishes he had something funny to say* KERSHK ATTENTION CUSTUMERS!!! testicles...that is all....

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LOL....yea that Elmo wont be getting tickled

Bless

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

That tickle me Elmo sure was a funny toy though...

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Poor Elmo, the disappointment that you won't Tickle him.

Don't you want see "Elmo Dancing" for you? :eek:

17. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

ive been hearing some crazy things here in town

a best buy near my house only had 50 units. the target next door only 8! and a guy in my class had a friend who had bought 3. while in line he was offered $350 for his place in line. and i heard some guy was trying to sell his for $5000 on ebay. apparently he is only up to $3,200. this guy was trying to sell me one of his 10 that he had bought from over seas for 300 for the premium. its tempting but im a little suspicious. he said he got a good deal. just a crazy day!

18. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That is what really annoys me about the people that are buying it at the stores, I went today to try to buy one and all of these people were buying more then one and all were in groups all going to turn around and sell it...I really wished that they had some control over that and to let the people that just want to buy one have a chance.

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Just the Fing Fourm I was looking for.

Wow this whole xbox 360 thing has seriously been a waste of my time. I work. Save up my money. Everything appears to be going to plan then i drove to 8 electronic sellers and every single _______ one was sold out! My brother went to best buy for me camped out no ________ 360. Went to my meijers for the midnight release no _______ 360. And then theres the "oh well we should be getting them in about a week" well great but its not like i have 5 days off school that I thought I set aside for my 360. I really do belive Microsoft is trying to make a buzz about their product and that pisses me off. Well if i don't get one in a week or to I guess I will be blowing it at MWSF.:mad:

:end rant:

Oh yeah and I would have gotten to best buy/ meijers early but the parents wouldn't let me. grr.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hahah this is so funny to watch.

I wait for my Revolution to come out, with actual great games, and Nintendo knows how to release a product with enough for everyone. Even thou i will still be outside a store for a few hours waiting for it, like i was with the DS.

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

That is because no one wants it. <snicker>
    :D

22. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

HAHAHA! yeah... Havent liked nitendo.. they are kinda dying :rolleyes:

*crys at the rememberence of Mario*
    *Cries even more at the loss of Segas consoles*

lol :rolleyes:

23. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I had my Xbox 360 pre-orderd. I went to pick it up today only to be told that my pre-order was for the "second" shipment and I was lucky to be on that list. They didn't mention this when they took my deposit of $50 about 3 months ago. They then tried to get me to put more money down and pre-order some games warning me that they would all be bought up and flipped on e-Bay. This Xbox frenzy is going too far. :mad:

24. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Same with me, I am on the second shipment, they said when I went to pre-order it that the second shipment wold be in on the same day as the first...but we all know that didn't work out.