Just what does Apple Inc. have against Canada?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Apr 4, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Seems like they ought to have mentioned how terrible Rogers is. At least, that's all I ever read about on this forum.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And how resistant they've been to the idea of unlimited data plans. Do we really need to whip that graph out again, and how much it costs to own and use a Blackberry in Canada? Or for that matter, the threats Canada made to impose blanket tariffs on MP3 players to respond to piracy, etc?

I'm sympathetic, and you know I <3 Canada and Canadians. But at the same time, Canada must always make its own balance and accept responsibility for its own decisions. Canada is welcome to create markets that court providers of products and services, but if they create markets that are not favorable, Canadians should complain to their lawmakers and not to companies who want to maintain a profitable business model.

4. macrumors regular

caliguy

Animosity toward Canadians is nothing new. Has anyone seen the new South Park that aired last Wednesday?

5. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

That is a running gag, but the episode was actually about the recent writer's strike, not Canadians (they're just a convenient stalking horse).

6. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All this hate towards Canada....I happen to like Canadians....well one in particular but that's another tragic story.

7. macrumors regular

caliguy

Hah, yeah, I know. I was sort of being sarcastic.

I'm in a public high school now, but ever since I was in a private middle school there's been joking about Canada, merely because of South Park I assume.

8. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Canada jokes go back a long way, eh? What aboot Strange Brew?

9. macrumors 68020

Like everyone else on earth except Ted Rogers himself (yes, Rogers employees Rogers just as much as the rest of us, if not more), but just over a month ago they started some sort of unlimited data plan for an additional $7 intended for phones bought through rogers only, but people have been using it successfully with their iPhones. Some see it as a test to see if their network can hold up to that kind of use.

10. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I thought I heard they had finally given in. But so wait, the entire package costs $7, and you can hack it to work with iPhones. And there's no data cap?

This article...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ted-data-plan-not-so-unlimited-after-all.html

Suggests that the Blackberry plan (this plan apparently officially does not cover WM, Blackberry, etc... it sounds like the T-Zones plan that people on T-Mo hack into) doesn't actually have unlimited data, but only 1.5MB/mo (which is less than I typically used on my BB by a large amount).

This plan hasn't been around long enough to see if people are actually getting billed only $7 for what they do, has it? I have a feeling there is going to be yet another angry protest in a couple months! :p

11. macrumors 6502a

HowEver

No, no one yet knows how data on iPhones using that plan will be billed. The billing period closes at the end of April.

12. macrumors newbie

Sitting, Wishing, Waiting

I'd love the iPhone here of course, but how much effort does Apple want to give to battle little companies using the iPhone name and deal with Rogers (the anti-Christ). The dream of a new cell provider (Apple Mobile-I wish) won't materialize since the only companies really providing service (Telus, Rogers and Bell) have the politicians in their back pocket. Apple's standalone products arrive here pretty much at the same time they are released in the U.S. but as the article says, things like the iTunes store, :apple:TV and the iPhone get into murky waters as soon as Apple has to deal with other companies. I think Apple would be happy to release things up here in concert with their release in the U.S. but for all the headaches they get, just for a population of about 40mil? I can't blame them; they have to make a buck.

13. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I'm blaming Rogers on this, not Apple. If there had been a "Second" GSM carrier in Canada (not Rogers-Fido), we would have probably seen the iPhone in Canada.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how much the iPhone will cost in Canada. $499 with a 3 year contract for the low end model maybe? Ouch

Down with 3 year contracts!

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 65816

pjarvi

16. macrumors 68000

NATO

You have 3 year mobile phone contracts in Canada?! Holy hell...

And to think I was complaining when companies here started pushing 18 month contracts instead of the 12 month ones we were used to. 3 Years is a long time to be tied down to a contract...

17. macrumors newbie

I suspect we won't see anything to do with the iPhone in Canada until the auction of wireless spectrum is done in May. With rumours of T Mobile and ATT possibly buying the right be cell carriers in Canada, I'm hoping that these carriers, already teaming with the iPhone in other countries, will finally result in the phone in Canada. I'm sure this is what Apple is waiting for. Check out his link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tech/cellphones/wireless-spectrum.html

18. macrumors regular

Unfortunately it appears those rumors were false. All bidders are now signed up, and there's no AT&T or T-Mobile to be found. So it's going to be smaller startup companies that will take a while to come online. So, really our only "hope" for a quick launch of the iPhone in Canada is if Rogers blinks, or if Apple changes it's list of demands for a service agreement.

I've personally procrastinated myself into waiting too long on the iPhone. I should have bought in last fall when the first easy unlocks started showing up, but due to the ever-rotating rumor mill, it always seemed an official release was right around the corner. So, although I'd promised myself an iPhone for my birthday in May, it seems stupid to buy in now, so close to the end-of-life on the first-generation iPhone. So I will wait until the 3G version arrives (presumably at the end of June) and buy it whether there's an official release or not.

The articles title is misleading. I'm sure Apple would gladly be selling iPhones up here if we had a competitive market and non-insular distribution agreements, which keep the iPhone and things like movie rentals and US network TV shows out of our hands. But as someone above mentioned, how much trouble is it worth to them? Especially when our market is so saturated with unlocked iPhones already (though I do firmly believe that they will still sell like mad when officially released).

19. macrumors 604

CalBoy

I sympathize with you Canadians, but Apple really can't be blamed for making logical business decisions.

The iPhone has so far only entered fairly large mobile markets (US mobile market is ~233 million, UK ~60 million, Germany ~80 million, and France ~60 million) that have a better propensity to adopt smart phones and newer technological devices.

Canada has only 17 million mobile phone lines in use at the moment. Link

As a percentage of its population (33 million) that is only a little higher than 50% (51.5% to be more precise).

As opposed to the near 100% ratio for the UK, France, and Germany, and the 77.6% ratio for the US, that number is quite low.

To top it off, only a single carrier is capable of providing service for the iPhone, and its corporate history has shown prior resistance to unlimited data plans which the iPhone relies upon:

If Rogers is going to try to pull stunts like that with the iPhone, customers would be less likely to buy an iPhone out of the fear that they'd be hit with massive monthly charges. Unlimited has to mean unlimited when you have a device like the iPhone. Apple is probably hammering out those details with Rogers, but these things take time.

As for the article's other complaints about exchange rates, that's been hashed out many times in other threads here but I doubt Apple is doing it because it has anything against Canada.

20. macrumors 68020

juanster

I called and asked about that 7 dollar plan and they told me it would not work, I was told it's only for wap internet.. (or something liek that
    ) will nto work for blackberries or iphones, but i guess we ll wait and see. And yes we absolutely need some gsm competition up here, Rogers is milking everybody, those bastards...:mad:

21. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Why? How?
    NAFTA theoretically reduces trade barriers and tariffs. Doesn't force any company to have pricing parity or offer the identical product list, though.

The Rogers $7 plan specifically excludes smartphones of any type.

22. macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused:

Wouldn't smartphone users be the primary market for unlimited data plans?

Seems a bit ridiculous.

23. macrumors 68020

juanster

yes, except that they want us smartphone users to pay fullprice for it, as in pay as you use, also they probably put that plan out there to se ehow many blackberry and iphone users get it and get really high first monthly bill, probably a couple millions profit extra for them by scaming people that think this is "unlimited data" or maybe im wrong i dont know, it would nto surprise me from rogers tho that's for sure.

24. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a really fascinating statistic. I had no idea mobile phone penetration was so low in Canada. Thanks! :) Anyone know why?

It can't just be because of smartphone pricing. :p The smartphone market is a relatively small niche in all the aforementioned countries that have saturated markets.

Does it have to do with poor service availability in rural Canada?

25. macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, I was pretty impressed by those stats, so impressed i kind of don't believe it...:p i don't think i know someone without a cellphone...:confused:

rural Canada service isn't that bad as i rememeber, ive odne quite abit of traveling around and always seem to find reception and all, except for the rockies...I think it may be because we dont have that much competition in carriiers maybe?