just wonderin'...(about super mario galaxy)

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, May 13, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

sam10685

...does anyone here the the story for super mario galaxy? is bowser in it? i hope there's more the just some creature with several arms in a thing of lava.

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

Well yes, theres the giant tripod monster too. lotsa bosses no doubt

3. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Peach got kidnapped and taken into space.

No really. That's the story.

4. macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Wow, what a thrilling plot.

I'm starting to lose interest in Nintendo more and more. :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude...? when u put it how GFLPraxis put it, of course it's going to sound dumb. there's got to be more to it. if not, then all the mario stories are dumb. (doesn't the princess always get captured?) and besides, if GFLPraxis has the whole story down, it's an improvement over every other maario story. (aren't they all "the princess was captured by bowser..."?)

6. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hahahhaha

bowser has a space station!!!

7. macrumors member

To be fair, no matter how crap the story line, the Super Mario games are probably the best games 2d platform games ever made!! We'll never see games like that again!!:(

8. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Heard of "New Super Mario Bros."?

9. macrumors 6502a

calyxman

To each his own.

10. macrumors Core

Dagless

OMG! Who would have thought anyone would play Mario for the story?! wow. just... wow.

11. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The stories are always the same....save the chick.....but who really play mario for the story:confused: .....i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times.

Bless

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats what I mean. If you want a story why don't you go read 2001 Space Odyssey or the Bible. I hear the Bible has a lot of stories in it. fanfiction.net has too, google "eBooks" for more stories.

You know, I played Timesplitters for the realism and Tetris for the groundbreaking physics and the killer OMGWTF in your face 1080p effects.

13. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Who plays Mario games for the story? Excepting the RPG games (Mario RPG, Paper Mario 1 and 2, Mario & Luigi 1 and 2), Mario games don't have stories beyond "princess peach got captured". They're almost arcade style- just try to win.

14. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Imagine playing mario.....u reach to the end and your like "ohhhh!! thats who stole Peach...why would he do that? :eek: oh my he's trying to take over the mushroom kingdom!"...duh!!!

Bless

15. macrumors Core

Dagless

Super Mario 128

They should make a post-armageddon Mario game.
    A single man surviving the downfall of an empire, he's lost to why he lived and so many others perished. Perhaps it was he who committed genocide? There is only one echo heard through the city "brother...", constantly screaming in the survivers head, "BROTHER" it screams and it screams. A constant echo, a siren, a warning. The only piece of history to survive this exclamation point ending.
    In this world of loss, sin and pain our hero struggles onwards, stroking his moustache and adjusting his dungarees. Guided by the ferocity of his mental anguish. A bell, a bell twinkles on the horizon of what was once a grand existence. Does he see the bell? Does he dare reach it and listen to it's beautiful high-pitched and high-understanding tone? Does he compare it to a noise he heard once before or does it create an entirely new noise. I forbid this bell, back to whence it came. This sign of temptation, this fire flower of beautiful of shine of grace. I dare'nt look. For could this bell have singled the end of the world? A passing leaf, a single flower, a cape flowing in the wind? No more. Says a voice, no more. No rescue, no safety, no life. Game over Mario.

*presses power off button*

16. macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

sunshine probably had the most developed narrative. i quite enjoyed the little plot twist. but at the end of the day who really cares about peach? only a complete idiot would get captured so many times. and mario is even more stupid for continuing to rescue her. the narrative is a device to motivate the action (as most games are). it just so happens that this particular narrative is recycled almost word for word in every iteration.

17. thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

have u played the Grand Theft Auto series?

18. macrumors 6502a

I predict that the next evolution in Mario games will be one where Mario's goal is to avoid saving Peach, while everybody is trying oh-so-desperately to get him to care. The entire game is spent trying to 'stay out of this one', much like the South Park stem cell episode.

19. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

And the Paper Mario platformer for the Gamecube coming out soon...

20. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

The only time I care about the story in a video game is when its an adventure game. Otherwise, for me, its all about the gameplay. Hell when I played paper mario I normally just skipped past all the text. Its secondary to me.

21. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not a GTA type person but i do watch my brother play em.....may i ask y?

Bless

22. thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

u said this... "i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times."... i asked u if u've played GTA because in GTA u have missions but the most of the fun is in going around and killing people, causing havoc, messing things up and running from the cops. u'd like it.

23. macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That is looking quite interesting. I don't know what direction they're goin with that one. Looks cool, but boring, I dunno I gotts see some more of it.

24. macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

rj, that is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Thank you.

25. macrumors 68030

homerjward

except the 3d ones all have very good stories, especially san andreas. (havent played vice city or the top-down ones)