Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I see a lot of flyers for music nights at clubs and sometimes wonder how designers make them...I do print work myself but all of the photos and text are usually supplied to me so my question does not apply. I have attached an image...My question is, the lions and art work in the main picture of the flyer..Do you guys think that is original? It does not look like vector art. The text could have obviously done in Illustrator and the little lighting effects were probably done in photoshop after flattening but I am just wondering if you think the lions and such were original? Or do you think the artist just stole that artwork from somewhere for this flyer? If so it would be hard to find a 300 dpi image for print.....

just wondering how you think this was done basically hehe =)

Attachments

• 3637_n.jpg
    3637_n.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 117

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I had a very talented graphic designer that could come up with those lions in about 2 hours in Illustrator. Of course, finding that level of talent is few and far between.

-Aaron-

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Clip art? Stock Photography? Can you elaborate?.....Someone could maybe come up with it in 2 hours but would the client care about whether or not you stole it? Probably not...but they wouldn't want to pay the extra 2 hours...

Zoreke

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
There are a lot of Stock photo-vector illusrtation sites where you can buy an image like this.

It is also perfectly doable in photoshop or illustrator based on a photo, no problem... Yes maybe a couple of hours for the illustration.

:D

Cheers

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
There are tons of vector files available for download at sites like iStockphoto. They are royalty free in most cases. If you need to use them for something specific that is not covered by the EULA, you can purchase an extended license.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
A lot of that type of work is either stock, clip, or derivative.

If I needed to do images like those lions, I would go to the library or internet and find something that would fit my needs as a base starting point. I would then trace over the image and refine/simplify it. By the time I was done, it wouldn't look much like the original. Deriving from something that already exists is what designers do all the time. My favorite method is to combine several images (that I often get from old books) to create something total fresh and new.

As you do this kind of work you will begin to build up your own library of graphic assets you can use on other projects. When I'm in between projects, I'll often create/explore image ideas. Those ideas often make it into future work.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Acutally, most of these stuff's you can't find in any of these so called stock-gallerys. Why not?
Because these are mostly hand-drawn (in the traditional way or digital) and than edited on computer, where it get's it's final form.

What I would do, is, I would simply draw it, scan it, than vectorize* it.
Postproduction - if bitmap - can be made with anything you like (Photoshop, Corel Photo-Paint, Pixelmator, Gimp etc). The only border is your fantasy.

* but this is not necessary, since you can scan the original drawing in high-quality 1000 or 1200 dpi bitmap/lineart mode. But don't forget, most graphics will be 300 dpi or less in final mode, when printed.

Here is one of the things, I made in the past:

Original drawn lineart:
csardaskiralyno3delavnic.jpg

Final version:
csardaskiralyno3delavnic.jpg

I also recommend you, you check out some of the blogs and websites of my formers school-mates and friends, especially their illustrations:
http://gyoritibor.blogspot.com/
http://www.szugyigabor.hu/

Here is one of the guys, whom work I really like:
http://www.hydro74.com/rebirth/illustration.html

Also check out these guys:
- Ljubomir Babic
- Jeff Owens

Here is a nice tutorial for the inking process:
http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/from-sketch-to-vector-illustration/

A lot of that type of work is either stock, clip, or derivative.

If I needed to do images like those lions, I would go to the library or internet and find something that would fit my needs as a base starting point. I would then trace over the image and refine/simplify it. By the time I was done, it wouldn't look much like the original. Deriving from something that already exists is what designers do all the time. My favorite method is to combine several images (that I often get from old books) to create something total fresh and new.

As you do this kind of work you will begin to build up your own library of graphic assets you can use on other projects. When I'm in between projects, I'll often create/explore image ideas. Those ideas often make it into future work.

These are really good thoughts.
However, one thing to mention is: mostly you cannot use the same thing over and over again for your designs.
Why not? Because soon it becomes boring.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Acutally, most of these stuff's you can't find in any of these so called stock-gallerys. Why not?
Because these are mostly hand-drawn (in the traditional way or digital) and than edited on computer, where it get's it's final form.

I can verify that you can indeed find tons of flourishes, scrolls, crests, and other period-specific vector files at "so called" stock galleries. There is no real need to start from scratch, but as always, you should modify whatever resources you use in order to tailor the final piece to your specific vision.

I used to use a lot of vector sets from You Work For Them. Here is an example of some of their offerings that may be helpful for this type of project.

http://www.youworkforthem.com/list.php?cat=78

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast

karabuni

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
If you are looking for artwork like that posted by opeter, this book (and its friends) might be useful:

"Graphic Ornaments 1900" pub. 1995, Pepin Press (Amsterdam) - no named "author"/compiler.
ISBN 90 5496 011 6

nearly 400 A4ish pages of line/half-tone drawings plus some spot colour. Those with text are in German, so this might indicate the origin of the drawings, which are Gothic or Art nouveau in style.

There are 9 other books listed, but I don't have them, such as "Corner & Border Designs 1900", "Ornamental Design 1850"; and in a companion series ("Chinese Propaganda Posters" (!?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.