Justice O'Connor stepping down from US Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by feakbeak, Jul 1, 2005.

1. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Linky

Looks like the scales will be tipping. O'Connor was always the swing vote that tended to keep things balanced.

Personal thoughts: Uh Oh... Rehnquist was supposed to go first! :(

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What a surprise, but I didn't realize she was 75. The Court will certainly now take a hard turn to the right.

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

terrible news.
    and when rehnquist goes it will be a total disaster for next 20 ys.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Hopefully Rehnquist will retire soon and some kind of deal could be reached for confirming a conservative (those lovely 'strict constructionists') and a relative moderate. It's going to be a shift to the right, but we can at least hope we don't get two more Thomases or Scalias.

5. feakbeak thread starter macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Rehnquist follows party lines much more than O'Connor so having him replaced with a staunch conservative wouldn't have been much of a change. I didn't think O'Connor wouldn't be stepping down so soon.

miloblithe, I'm not as optimistic as you are that a deal might be reached if/when the next justice retires. Bush owes his second-term in large part to the evangelical right and they know it. Since the supreme court decides many ethical questions within our goverment they are going to be watching his appointment very carefully. The only requirement for confirmation is a simple majority in the Senate which the Republicans have at the moment. I doubt the Dems can filibuster out of this one.

We'll have to see how it all plays out.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Prepare for the Senate filibuster agreement to go to hell because of "extraordinary circumstances", i.e., Bush nominating a hard-line conservative. Anybody thinking he'll recommend a moderate is dreaming.

"So hold on tight/
    let the fight begin..."

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This should be and interesting battle...

I wonder if this battle will be enough to shift the spotlight away from all the other hot-button issues.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

More likely, it will make all the other hot button issues radioactive.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

WARNING: Sharp right turn ahead. Please fasten seatbelts and hold on tight. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now, all those who voted for Bush and took it for granted that their rights wouldn't change are in for a huge shock. Horrible news!

11. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

****. Well this just blows. Good thing we have checks and balan... oh. Wait. The Republicans now control all three branches of government. We're screwed.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well, don't forget it was O'Connor in the minority on our ownership rights.
    That ED ruling didn't give the left a big "warm and fuzzy" from the nation, it did not help them much that's for sure.

So, before the "we don't like that person" finger pointing starts, who would the left support, that is a possible Candidate?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

last call, kids. don't disturb the neighbors on your way out.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've never been a "fan" of Justice O'Connor, but obviously she has been a swing vote on a number of vitally important issues - abortion is only the most well known. I don't know of a likely nominee from this President that will be acceptable and I anticipate battles over this that make the Bork nomination seem tame, but this was all foreseeable with the election of Dubya last year. Like your right to privacy? Perhaps Americans will wake up and see it matters who they elect.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Yes I like my right to privacy, and also home ownership, and if you think the GOP swing votes are going to be there for Harry to gather, you are wrong, especially after that ED vote. Like they say, timing is everything.
    I prefer to whine after seeing the nominee, but then there is always the "avoid the rush, whine early" crowd.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, a miracle will occur and Bush will nominate a moderate.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Funny, I don't think concern over basic privacy rights can be described as "whining." Personally, I think I've been shouting the dangers of this Presidency for quite sometime. This fight will only confirm how dangerous he is to the everyday lives of Americans.

edit: for those who want to do something about this upcoming battle over the direction of the courts, here is a website to start with: SaveTheCourt.org

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Those evil Republican Appointments

Link

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Who said anything about "Republican Appointments"? This has to do with what the likely nominee will be like from this President. A new Scalia or Thomas is much more likely than a new Stevens or even a new Kennedy. If that is allowed to happen it will have a very large impact on those who are concerned about such things as privacy rights, be they Democrats or Republicans. Many or us said this would happen if Bush won in 2004, and now it maybe dawning on those moderate Democrats and Republicans who didn't think the make up of the Supreme Court was an important enough issue to vote against Dubya just how wrong they were.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I thought Rehnquist was on the way out, O'Conner I didn't see coming so soon. It's too bad; I think she's actually one of the smarter and more reasonable members of the supreme court. She also provides a sense of balance that I think is really valuable whether you usually come down on the right or the left.

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Let's just say it these next few months will be very interesting... :rolleyes:

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting indeed. And divisive I'm sure. What was that slogan Bush campaigned on? I'm a something, not a something else....

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hate to agree with you, but this may prove to be true ... as the radioactive material hits the trigger point, goes nuclear, and gets the political forum shut down for awhile.

Been awhile since one of those topics has come up.

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Said what would happen, he would be in a position to make nominations? heck that is some oracle there! The only real surprise, no one retired his first term. Anyone thinking that there would not be a retirement over this term would have to be looney.