Justification of the iPod Mini's price

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 27, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    burlington, Ontario canada
    he's got a point.. but i still think that i should have been no more then $220
  3. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Apple said in the conference call that iPod mini margins are less than the iPod's 20%. It costs more than $200 just to manufacture each one. The hard disks are probably the reason.

I don't know who is buying $300 flash players that hold 120 songs, but they ARE selling. So I'm not surprised that the iPod mini is a top seller already, before it even ships.

I'd love a FREE or $50 or $200 iPod... but I can't honestly say the mini's price is wrong.
  4. macrumors 68020

Nov 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    I agree totally. Having checked out prices of flash memory for up to 3GB- Up to $1500US I would say that at $249 US a 4GB mini iPod is a steal!
  5. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I think the $249 is just a bargin worth considering. I think a $200 mini is a no brainer.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    I think you're right on this. But, if Apple isn't making some $$, then what's the point.
    I just ordered an iPodmini last night. When it came down to what I was using it for (running, biking, general exercise) the size became a definite plus and the capacity, considering my music collection, was just fine.
    I wasn't sure the iPodmini had a solid market, but after my experience, I think it might.
    Plus, I can see myself buying up down the road if/when I outgrow the 4gig.
  7. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I'm waiting for a second-gen mini, unless I try one at a store and can't wait :) More space or a price drop would be nice, and when that becomes possible it will happen.

For me, the new controls are almost more important than the physical size. They seem like a great step forward: increased simplicity, and a return of the tactile click.

The old lighted touch buttons are cool, though, I can't deny it.