Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
This is all really terribly upsetting.

Incredibly important issue, here.

Such a HUGE talent, and going through all these problems.

Losing such a HUGE talent from our shores...well...

Oh...I can't go on...:(

A tale worthy of the bard himself...

Truly tragic, the great ones always fall don't they?:(

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I'll just leave this one here.

bieberford_zps563f5b48.jpg

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Another lawyer who works in the field thinks otherwise: "… according to a Blaine lawyer who often defends B.C. residents who run afoul of U.S. law…. Len Saunders said Bieber could easily be booted out of the U.S. and barred from re-entry because of statements he made to police – regardless of the outcome of any criminal proceedings." Link

The problem with that statement is that Beiber is not a student. He is a major celebrity. It’s going to take much more than a DUI to get him kicked out given who he is.

He can deny a whole lot too. It’s all based on what he gets charged with.

ETA: A lot rests on this:

If Bieber falsely claimed U.S. citizenship, he said, that's the "ultimate sin" against U.S. immigration rules that can result in deportation and a lifetime ban on entry.

Note the IF. Unless the police can prove that he said, Beiber’s attorneys are going to claim that it was in error on behalf of the police.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The problem with that statement is that Beiber is not a student. He is a major celebrity. It’s going to take much more than a DUI to get him kicked out given who he is.
It's not the DUI, as I said earlier it's the admission that he was smoking pot all day. People have been denied entry to the US for admitting prior use - regardless of whether they have been charged or not.
Note the IF. Unless the police can prove that he said, Beiber’s attorneys are going to claim that it was in error on behalf of the police.

Again, as I noted earlier, it may have been a typo… in which case likely with no impact. However, if the officer were to swear that Bieber was claiming US citizenship falsely then he may be in trouble.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
It's not the DUI, as I said earlier it's the admission that he was smoking pot all day. People have been denied entry to the US for admitting prior use - regardless of whether they have been charged or not.

We regularly allow musicians to enter the country who have used far worse and far more illegal drugs than pot. I don’t think that will effect Bieber whatsoever.

Again, as I noted earlier, it may have been a typo… in which case likely with no impact. However, if the officer were to swear that Bieber was claiming US citizenship falsely then he may be in trouble.

The officer can swear all he want’s to, but unless he can back it up with something, Bieber’s lawyer can and will attack it. His word against his. And if that officer ever made one screw up, Bieber’s lawyer can argue his credibility.

Heck, even if Biebers Lawyer want’s to stipulate that Bieber accidentally said US, I bet that they can argue that his being under the influence could contribute to a mistake in admission or something.

Remember, Bieber is a muli-million dollar musician. He can get a lot of latitude from authorities who can over look a lot.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
He really needs a reality check. It is unfortunate, but with the money and right lawyers, he will probably get a slap on the wrist and sent away home to disturb his neighbours again. It is sad to see what drugs and money does to talent and how quickly. What is worse, is it being allowed to happen and the justice system almost seems not to care.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
We regularly allow musicians to enter the country who have used far worse and far more illegal drugs than pot. ....

Remember, Bieber is a muli-million dollar musician. He can get a lot of latitude from authorities who can over look a lot.

Maybe, maybe not. Neither of us really know... it's all idle speculation. And to be honest, I really don't care. I've already spent too much time on this. Life is too short to spend on a 19 year old spoiled musician. I have important things to do... like reading about Downton Abbey ;)

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
But, but, do you not have any compassion for your friends in The Great White North?? :(

You have far more experience 'handling' persons like this than we do. :eek:

I didn't say what country I thought he should be deported to :p Besides, Canada already got rid of him once... I'm sure they don't want him back. The problem is, I'm not sure that ANY country would want him. :rolleyes:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
So, he skipped out on his bond??

Good luck getting back in now. :p

OK, this call for immediate action.

Does Australia still accept criminals??

I don't believe he's skipped out on his bond… since his court date isn't for a couple of weeks. Unless there was a condition attached not to leave the state. However, if he is denied re-entry to the US then things may get a more interesting for his lawyers, I suppose.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So, he skipped out on his bond??

Good luck getting back in now. :p

OK, this call for immediate action.

Does Australia still accept criminals??

I think he is rich and famous so there is a different set of rules where he is allowed to leave the country when he is out on bail when most other people wouldn't be allowed to.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
the Guardian says;

Bieber was unlikely to be deported because federal law dictates that a visa can only be revoked or denied for a conviction of a violent crime with a minimum one year prison sentence.

no doubt he has a work visa due to his unique talents as a performer :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Deported? Will never happen. That little **** generates a lot of tax dollars.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don't believe he's skipped out on his bond… since his court date isn't for a couple of weeks. Unless there was a condition attached not to leave the state. However, if he is denied re-entry to the US then things may get a more interesting for his lawyers, I suppose.

I don’t believe so. All his lawyer would have to do is file notice. He can leave if he has a legitimate reason to and this would certainly qualify.

the Guardian says;

no doubt he has a work visa due to his unique talents as a performer :eek:

Indeed, he does have a work visa.

Well, the White House has to issue a response now... We the People - Petition it just passed 100k signatures and keeps growing and soon to pass 200k signatures at its current rate.

The white house is going to address this like every other silly petition that gets attention. They will say no or at best, punt claiming this is not an issue for the white house to get involved with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.