Juvenile diabetes cured in lab mice

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 14, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The MGH scientists injected diabetic mice with the spleen cells. The cells migrated to their pancreases, prompting the damaged organs to regenerate into healthy, insulin-making organs, ending their diabetes.

"This shows there might be a whole new type of therapy that we haven't tapped into," said Dr. Denise Faustman, MGH immunology lab director and lead author of the new study, which appears today in the journal Science. "We've figured out how to regrow an adult organ."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/14/juvenile_diabetes_cured_in_lab_mice/

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

My wife has been type II for 24 years. If this turns out to be the answer, I will buy each of theose researchers a new car.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about that Les Kern. Is she able to control her diabetes with diet?

4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I agree, this would be huge! a number of people in my family are diabetic, including my brother who is type I (regular injections) and I have a 33% chance of becoming diabetic (based on genetics) before 25.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

this sounds great! I look forward to seeing the results. Indeed, it seems that the key to our current roadblock may have been found. Just as the advent of the antibiotic opened up a whole world of treatments, it seems that regeneration (by this means or perhaps stem cells [if they can get funding!]) may be the key to next generation of treaments...wouldn't it be great if we had our next penicillin, and those pesky diseases (by way of the even more pesky bacteria) could not mutate immunity? Stupid immune Hfr strains, ruining it for all of us.

i can understand the sentiment! somehow, I imagine that they will be able to buy quite a bit themselves if this pans out...

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I thought it was only type 1 that they cured (the one where you have to inject). Type 1 and 2 diabetes are actually different deseases (even though the effect that you cant eat sugar is the same).

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I'll definitely be passing this article on to my friend. He has had Type I for a while now. This would be amazing if it worked in humans.

10. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with you eyelikeart, they must be using a common web designer. Yours seems to be an NBC station, mine is ABC.

I'm also at a low risk. It take after my mother's side. My father had an aunt with diabetes.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Strange stuff. They must have the same parent company somehow, but with different affiliations?

Anyway, glad to see the low risk factors going on in here. ;)

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I agree with you eyelikeart. I think it has to do with the higher intelligence and educational level of Mac users. Life style plays a big role in Type II Diabetes.