Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfisher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Does anyone know (and I'm not asking for a best guess) if JVC Camcorders are compatible with Macs? I'm new to mac and I'm new to JVC. If anyone has some experience here it would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, I'm looking at the JVC GR-D650. Thanks.:confused:

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Obviously some JVC camcorders work for the mac:

https://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/service/s_downloads/default.asp

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/camcorders.html

But I think the easiest way to see if that camcorder works with a mac is to find a manual and read it. I checked JVC's site and apparently it's not available yet. Since it's not, I would go into a Bestbuy and ask / pull it off the shelf and quickly check to see if one of the display macs will notice it when plugged in. I say quickly because of the alarms that will inevitably go off.

Most miniDVs work on a mac.

wfisher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
So what you're saying is that if the computer recognizes it, then it should work with iLife etc.?

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Pretty much every modern mini-dv camera works with the mac. They all use the same standard, so you should be ok. If worse comes to worse, you can always return it.

wfisher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
So once again, if the computer recognizes the camera, then it should function with all of the mac applications?

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
wfisher said:
So once again, if the computer recognizes the camera, then it should function with all of the mac applications?

*should* unless there's a bug in the app or the don't support a certain format. However if it doesn't show up that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. That method doesn't really help unless no other sources are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.