JVC GZ-MG505 and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by richardhurst, Aug 19, 2006.

1. richardhurst macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Hi guy's sorry for sounding dumb but don't slate me please. i have a macbook pro and would like to get the above camcorder, but can't seem to find if it is compatible with the macbook pro, the software that comes with it is the capty mpeg edit ex which say's it works with powerpc but does not mention the intel based macbook pros. Will it work ok and will i have to use the software first to convert the movie then use imovie or will imovie recognize the camcorder straight away?. if it's too much hassle what hard drive based camcorder around the £700 or less mark do you recommend that will work with imovie. many many thanks for all help that can be given.:)
  2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I can't awnser the first part of your question, but as for the second part. I would recommend getting a 3CCD DV (tape) camcorder from someone like Sony over a Hard Disk camcorder. Because of the compression used on Hard Disk camcorders, the image quality generally isn't as good as standard DV camcorders.

Plus DV camcorders are much easier to use, you just plug them into your Mac and capture the video. No having to mess around with finding software that can convert it.
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I second what hvfsl says. Cameras that record MPEG2 straight to a MiniDVD or a HDD offer less image quality and more headaches (you'll have to transcode all the footage into either MPEG4 or DV to use it w/iMovie) than a DV camera.

4. richardhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Thanks for your comments. can anyone recommend a good camera i can look at that is no more than £800.00??
  5. digitalprimate macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2006
    You could look here:
    or the sister site for camcorders for beginners:
    Easy Camcorders

They always have extensive reviews which are informative, to the point and mostly up to date.
  6. richardhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Right I Think I Have Narrowed It Down To Either The Sony Hdr-hc1 And The Hc3. I Only Need It For Normal Holiday Typr Stuff But Want A Good Picture, And I Do Like The Look Of The Hc1 Over The Hc3 But What Do You Guy's Think??
  7. digitalprimate macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2006
    Well, since we don't know you (or your habits, or your plans with the camera...)... This if from camcorderinfo, for both models:

And here's the second one...