JVC mini-dv cam went bad after 10 hours of use

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Sep 22, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Looking for some feedback of similar experiences or suggestions on how to fix...
    I bought a JVC GR-70D (i think that's the model #) mini-DV camera last November at Best Buy. I did not get the extended warranty (shoot me) and after a month of use (2 hours of use now) it would constantly display that i need to clean the head. i bought a head cleaner tape and ran it through as instructed. the "clean head" display went away until I powered it on for the second time after cleaning at which point it returned. long story short, every 2nd time i would hit the record button after power on, the "clean head" display would appear on the LCD. i could make it go away by turning the camera off and back on, but after hitting the record button the 2nd time - "clean head". i went to best buy and thought i could exchange it and they said no because i was a couple of weeks past the exchange point...whatever that timeframe was. so i figure i can live with this - what other choice do i have.
    well, a couple weeks ago i turn it on (approx 10 hours of use on it now) and the LCD is black and i can't even see through the view finder. the LCD display the prompts that are hard wired into the camera but no video picture. it says "remove lens cap" when the cap is off.
    the warranty is 90 days labor and 1 yr parts - i can send it to JVC and pay (cough) $250 to have them repair it. $250 for labor, i'm still covered on parts. This brings the cost of a $450 camera to $700 with about 10 hours of use out of it.
    any suggestions or anyone know how to do a camera reset that isn't advertised. i'm reaching for anything here. I'd rather put the $250 towards a brand new camera from Sony. never had a problem with a sony product.

help!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't have any answer for you. I do have a question.

How did you purchase the unit? Did you use a credit card that extends the warranty? If so, you should look into using that.

Another thing you could do is to explain your situation to JVC's service center. They may call your unit defective and send you a new one.

One last thing. 90-day warranty on any electronic item is disgraceful. Should be at least 1-year.

3. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

good idea. i'll check on the credit card.

as far as JVC goes...I got some punk on the phone who would only tell me that i need to ship it to them with a letter stating my problem. they will repair and charge me and there is noone i can talk to so i can state my case. i have to write a damn letter. WTF? yeah, one year on electronics should be the minimum. 90 days...i could fart on it and it would malfunction and i'm screwed. back to JVC...so they hold my camera and basically don't return it until i pay them. i'm going to call them again and raise hell nicely with force.

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

What kind of tapes are you using? TDK? TDK tapes are notorous for ruining DV cams, but 2 hours. . . that sounds like a lemon to me.

As far as the LCD not working any more, the brand of tape obviously doesn't affect that, the only course of action is to work with the manufacturer.

5. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

thanks for the feedback. dude! I love that Wil Ferrell Fear the Reaper avatar!!! I mentioned that on another thread of yours. That was a funny skit!

to be honest, i think i'm using maxell or memorex tapes. have to double check. yeah, deal with the manufacturer. you know how easy that's not going to be. sigh.

billion dollar company gonna screw me for $250.