K.., so who else thinks that a video iPod is soon coming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by odedia, Sep 13, 2006.

1. odedia macrumors 6502a

I think that a video iPod will soon be announced by Apple. Why? the 640x480 resolution is not "natively" compatible with the current iPods. It is also probable that Apple will want to create a device mainly for movies, and keep the iPod mainly for music.

So, why hasn't it been announced yet?

I think there are two reasons:

1. Not enough content yet (Only disney's onboard at the moment).
    2. Samsung are going to release 100GB and 120GB 1.8" drives pretty soon, and these are the perfect candidates for the video device. 80GB is good, but not good enough...

If people are skeptical, remember that LAST year, they introduced the iPod nano, and only a month later introduced the iPod with Video capabilities.

2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think a whole lot of people seriously doubt it's coming. The debate is "when."

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

MWSF together with the iTV box. Doubt it is coming so soon.

5. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Could be this fall, Apple likes to release low end to high end. The price points of the new iPods allow for a new $499 model, but at the end of the day I agree that they are still waiting for content from other studios.

6. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I'm thinking we may actually see a new iPod line....the current iPod 5G/Nano/Shuffle will focus on audio, but the nano will do pictures and the 5G will do video, photos, games, etc., but a new iPod Video will have a larger 16:9 screen, and focus on video, but still do audio, games, photos, etc.

So instead of 3 iPod products, I could see Apple releasing a 4th video oriented line.

7. G-Prime macrumors member

I was thinking about this too. I think that they are waiting to see when Microsoft is going to ship the Zune player and launch a the new iPod at the same time. I could be wrong be wouldn't be very suprised to see another special event next month.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i hope so. i'd never use (extensively, anyways) the video capabilities, so i'd be pretty peev'ed to have to pay more for them, when really all i want is a lot of space to save my music.

seems like that would be a good compromise.

9. whawhat macrumors 6502

^ I agree with this guy. Right now, the most expensive iPod is 349 = Apple could definitely introduce something high end for 400/450 and people would buy it.

10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I think the true video iPod is a bit in the future.

Apple has taken the first steps: making full length videos availible. This should give a good indication of the iPod market: is it ready for videos in your pocket?

A few things need to happen before they can go with a full screen version whic as pointed out above, will be more expensive if they want to do it right.

1. they have to get other studios in. period. Disney cannot support this by itself.
    2. make more tv/video availible outside the US, no one will buy a video iPod if they can't download videos.

11. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I agree. I think Apple does a great job of walking that line of testing/driving customer demand towards a future product launch and launch and hope it will work.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Apple definitely needs to kick it up. Honestly, the black Zune looks nice and with Wifi and radio? Depends on price points, of course, but if it's competitively priced, then the iPod just wouldn't be the better buy at this point - and that's terrible. Since when is Apple not the more innovative buy??

14. ftrtrk macrumors newbie

if they wait till january the holiday rush would be over and they wouldn't move as many units, especially if it's 499

15. bluemonkey macrumors regular

I agree about gaining more studio support and seeing if movies will actually sell before introducing a higher-end wide screen video iPod. However, one thing has always bothered me about this "gesture interface" and "virtual click wheel", and that is smudges. If you are using your finger directly on the screen to make any adjustments, it would be rather annoying to have to constantly wipe the thing off in order to watch a movie. Just smear your finger on your current iPod screen if you don't believe me, then multiply that by a million.

16. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

same here, I don't really lust after much more than what my 5G has to offer--I hope Apple doesn't force us to pay more for a video geared iPod, when all I really want is larger HDD capacity.

17. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm really hoping they impliment the "none touch" interface we've been hearing about and seeing patents for

18. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Yeah, watching movies on a 2 in screen sucks and is pointless. No body will want to watch movies on their 5G ipod, after the novelty of having a movie in your hand wears off, its pointless.

However, a 4 inch widescreen? that's do-able, i'd consider it.

19. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Wifi is a gimmick. I personally don't listen to the radio. Besides if the Zune isnt Mac compatible I cant use it anyway.

Most seem to think that the 30GB Zune will be $299.

Apple has something up their sleeve. They know when to release it. Microsoft didnt announce a price or ship dates. At this point it is just hype until people can get one in their hand.

I find it slightly sickening that MS is doing this. They just couldnt sit back and watch Apple make money.

21. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Why should they? Apple wouldn't sit back and let MS make money if they had a hit product that everyone wanted (IF).

22. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I think Generik is right on the money-consider what has come up at the last few Macworlds-Intel annoucements, mac mini, ipod mini/nano-Mac World with the iTV is when we will see the true video ipod

and on a second note-if we dont see the iPhone then, well then we might not see it for a very very long time