kahlon.com ram for powerbook???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bigben334, Apr 30, 2005.

1. bigben334 macrumors regular

has anybody here bought RAM from kahlon.com and put it in their powerbook. i wanna get a 12 inch superdrive powerbook and kahlon.com RAM is the cheapest way to upgrade to 1.25 gigs of RAM. please someone tell me if this is a good idea. and tell me if i should wait on an upgrade to the powerbooks. THANKS.

also, does microsoft word come pre-installed on the 12 inch superdrive powerbook or not. and if it doesnt, wat word processor does it hav if any? thanks again

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm not sure about kahlon but this ram seems to be good.

Nuc

3. bigben334 thread starter macrumors regular

yea but........

wow thats even cheaper, has anyone bought this ram and put it into a powerbook????? cuz from kahlon they guarantee compatibility with a powerbook, as of right now im still goin with kahlon because of the guarantee but i would like to hear about someone that has used it before, thanks.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

How do you know this is compatible with Powerbooks? "PC2700" Is not good enough to tell.

I recommend that you only buy RAM that is guaranteed by the seller to be tested in , and compatible with, your Mac.

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Read the reviews....

A lot of people using a mac have used this RAM. See the reviews at the site. I plan on getting some when I get the money... :(

Nuc

6. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Don't waste your time.

Kingston, 1 gig 200 pin from www.Outpost.com

$149 before rebate, $119 after.

Lifetime warranty. I'm using a stick right now in my 12 in powerbook. Flawless.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Funny. CanadaRAM seems to say this is just about every "can I use this ram in my powerbook" thread here at macrumors. Maybe you should make a simple FAQ on ram upgrading and have it made sticky so we can avoid having to endlessly repeat this same advice everytime!

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I bought a 512k stick for my iBook from Kahlon. Even though it didn't work initially, they replaced it quickly and with no problem. I think I recall their web site saying they have been in business 25 years. Best price, too.

edit: woo hoo! 200 posts! At this rate I'll have an avatar in, hmm, almost three years from join date!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good idea, 'cause everytime someone says "what RAM should I buy" someone else pops up with "here's some generic RAM that might work" -- when the seller makes no claim it works -- and the poor newbie who buys it, if it doesn't work, will be stuck with freight and restocking charges.

Edit: Plus, it may be the 6th time for you seeing the same advice (and heaven knows, it's the 40th or 50th time for me answering the same question) but it's ALWAYS the first time for the newbie poster.

And why keep repeating myself? What R3z said below. You just can't tell whether the cheap RAM will work or not.

10. R3z macrumors newbie

That's awesome, I saw that too.

Then I bought it.

And it didn't work.

And neither did the one Newegg sent me to replace it.

Then I bought some Kingston, and it worked.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

You can go with this, and it'll work, or this and it'll work, and you can probably even get this and have it work (though the first two are more likely), but this is *****, which you should know because of the price. Sorry pal, but you're not getting out that cheap.

11. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

FYI....

This ram from Newegg worked in my 17" PB. It passed the hardware test and everything. For only $130 shipped I guess that's not to bad... So hopefully it won't give me any problems.

So R3z I guess I did get off easy..... :D You must have got a bad batch... You can have your peanuts and monkeys.

CanadaRam it is compatible.

Nuc

12. fradac macrumors regular

kingmax from newegg works

i have 2 GB of ram in my powerbook 15in, got them two weeks ago and its been running smothely.

for $260 i got two dimms :)

if you look at the review at newegg, there are lot of people using this in their apple laptops

13. wdschrank macrumors member

I recently purchased my first mac in 20 years. Got a 15" PB with 512 RAM and added 1GB myself from datamem.com. It was the Samsung memory which I believe is the same as what Apple puts in at the factory. Data Memory guarantees compatibility and it was very easy to find the memory that would work with my PB. Absolutely no problems and it cost $170 after shipping. Apple would have charged noticeably more. Hope this helps.