Kaine Wins Virgina Election

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GorillaPaws, Nov 8, 2005.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

(Dem) Time Kaine will be Virginia's next governor. http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=4092288

I'm just glad it's over and we can stop having these stupid negative ads forced down our throat. I mean serioulsy, if a cadidates these days had the decency to not put out this garbage they might have an easier time getting elected. Apparently every politician is a Satan-worshiping, Criminal-loving, Baby-Murderer. No wonder the US has such a low voter turnout.

Personally, I think news papers should print a special edition during elections that have like 10 pages dedicated to each candidate where they would have to clearly lay out their respective plans for making things better (no generalities like I want to help the poor, but things like this is how I will help the poor). They could allow for responses from the cadidates and publish that in a later issue. Something like this would sell in my opinion. Oh well, I guess we'll just be stuck w/ negative ads.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well at least they are not calling your home like 3 times per day talking about "they are counting on my vote".....WHATEVER!

life in NYC

Bless

3. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Yeah... That would be even more annoying/invasive. I don't get it, arent' they supposed to get us to like them?

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

it's kind of like the student loan companies that lie to my wife about the nature of the call to try and get me on the phone... as if somehow their ability to lie will make me feel nice and warm and fuzzy about refinancing my student loans through them...

oh the joys of having student loans...

5. msbsound macrumors regular

Bloomberg

Glad I wasn't the only one getting those...
    No offense to the cantidates but we have a 24 hour news network dedicated to our city. I get enough bombardment. Can't wait to see what this transportaion Bond act brings us...probably fair hikes.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No, we had them calling pretending they were the other candidate with conflicting messages on the policies they supported. IMO if the Republicans hope to win more seats in the 2006 elections, I hope they learn the dirty tricks they tried in Virginia won't work on the voters.

And like I want to get calls from Republican Senators and Congressmen that have told me plain and simple that my views are not the way they feel on a particular issue. Never mind that it wasn't the way the consituants felt, but it was the way they felt. Politicians need to remember their personal beliefs don't matter. It is the beliefs of the people they are to represent that matter.

Our votes yesterday in Virginia sent that message IMO.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That has to be the worst part about living in the DC area. This year I get the Kaine/Kilgore crap from over the river. Next year, everybody in NOVA (that includes you Chip) is going to get the crap that has already started slinging in the MD Senate, and will fly during the gubenatorial, campaign. It's nice to get ads during non-election years...:( :mad:

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I hope this post does not throw this to the PF here...

Read in the Wash Post today comments from Kilgore that seems to say the the "war is not over". What ever happened to the loser pledging to work with the winner, so that both sides can be a winner for all the residents of the state or the country.

No, it seems that Kilgore and the Republican Party of Virginia are already drawing lines in the sand. I would have had the same comments if Kilgore won, and Kaine made the same statements.

Why is it that we have the idea of us vs. them? I for one gave Bush the benefit of the doubt on each of his election wins. With nearly a 50-50 split in votes, how can any one side say they truly represent the voters?

I for one would accept the desire of the electorate, if there were a 60/40 split in the vote. Anything less IMO is not a "mandate".

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^ that person(kilgore) isnt looking out for the better of his state, he wants the job and thats it. Today these guys want the $$ and nothing more. There was a time when they wanted to work with each other after the "strom" but now its personal war.

dont bash me but i really dont care who won but thats the way it is.

Bless

10. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

I agree, Chip. I'm also glad to see the Black vs. Poisson stuff over (and I'm in the next district east!). They've all acted like little kids who want their way all the time and resort to name calling and deliberate mispronunciation of names to supposedly make inroads with voters.

The phone calls that annoyed me were the ones paid for by one campaign or another that first asked who you would vote for <position> and then if you gave the "wrong answer" launched into how that candidate was going to destroy the roads, take money away from schools, all while raising taxes and taking away your freedoms, etc... eeyeah right.

What seems to have worked for me is to keep a log of which company that calls, tell each to take you off their list and refer to it when they call again. Took about 2 months of calls but they've finally stopped. 'Course, your wife could also answer "this is his wife" in the stern tone of "I make the financial decisions here, so you can talk to me" (learned this one from my mom -- works whether it's true or not) and then a curt "take us off your list, we are not interested." (Ever notice about 80% of these calls show on the caller ID from Florida?)

11. Subliving macrumors member

Subliving

Dude, sorry to nit-pick, but I think you need to sort out the thread title...

:eek:

Subliving