Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kanex today introduced the GoPlay SideKick, a pocket-sized wireless game controller for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. The MFi-certified controller connects to Apple devices over Bluetooth 4.0 and offers up to 20 hours of gameplay on a single charge with almost any controller-supported game on the App Store.

kanex-goplay-sidekick.jpg

The console-inspired game controller features pressure-sensitive buttons, dual analog joysticks, trigger buttons, a directional pad, and a Lightning connector, while one of its more interesting features is its patent pending protective clamshell case with an integrated stand that props up an iPhone during gameplay.

Kanex said the GoPlay SideKick will be available in February for $59.95. For reference, Apple sells the SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controller and HORIPAD ULTIMATE Wireless Game Controller for $49.95 each. Other options include, among others, the MOGA Rebel and Mad Catz CTRL i.

Article Link: CES 2017: Kanex Debuts GoPlay Sidekick Game Controller for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV

UnalignedByte

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2013
For less than that I could buy a DualShock 4 for system that wholeheartedly supports gamepads. I would be very reluctant to spend anything more than 2/3 of the asking price. Why anyone would feel compelled to buy it is beyond me.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The stand in the case is interesting, but not a must have feature. I mean steam controllers have been $35 for the past two months, Xbox one s have been as low as $25, and PS4 as low as $30. This seems a bit pricy, even if it never sells at its MSRP.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

I recently purchased the SS Nimbus so my kids can play the Minecraft game on the ATV4. The reviews for that controller are really good. I doubt I will ever use it for anything other than the tvOS.

I am curious how this one compares to the Nimbus. If I ever need another one, maybe I will give this a try if I can find it on sale somewhere.

Now all that is needed is some decent games for the ATV4.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I've been searching eBay and other sites for weeks trying to get a decent AppleTV controller for ~$20/ea. No interest in a full price Nimbus, nevermind the SideKick here.

Best deal I found was the SteelSeries Stratus, which looks about the same as the SideKick sans stand, for about $15. But I'd prefer a Lightning port.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Best deal I found was the SteelSeries Stratus, which looks about the same as the SideKick sans stand, for about $15. But I'd prefer a Lightning port.

I looked at the SS stratus, but a lot of reviews said that some ATV4 games were not compatible for some reason. Although, if I found it for $15, I would have bought that see for my self.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
What's so competitive about this controller compared to other existing ones?

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
What's so competitive about this controller compared to other existing ones?

I believe its the first pocket-sized controllers that has a Lightning connector (compared to the SteelSeries Stratus/XL and other generic BT controllers that use MicroUSB). That, plus the 'case' that doubles as a stand.

In general, I am hoping to get a Mario Run port for AppleTV. That and Minecraft are real "gate-way" games for the platform, and could lead to other flagship titles coming (and better controllers on the market). Would be great to see a Telltale game (GotG) on the AppleTV, or maybe some classic Nintendo ports (like a Christian Whitehead Sonic game). All better with a real controller.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have the Nimbus, but I must admit I feel like the ATV still has a long way to go before gaming on there becomes worth it.
I agree...

The ATV4 had so much potential, but Apple messed that up by requiring the Siri Remote requirement for all tvOS apps in the beginning. The requirement is gone, but it seems like developers have no interest on bringing decent games or ports to the ATV4.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
maybe some classic Nintendo ports

I was hoping this would happen, and I think it would sell like crazy. It may even lead to increased ATV4 sales.

With the success of the Nintendo Classic Edition, there is clearly a market for classic games. I thought that Nintendo could develop an app that would be similar to the Wii's virtual console. Maybe offer a popular game as a part of the free app, and IAPs for the other games themselves.

It would be a win for both Apple and Nintendo. Although, I guess there is a chance that it may cannibalize some of Nintendo console sales.

I guess this is wishful thinking.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I was hoping this would happen, and I think it would sell like crazy. It may even lead to increased ATV4 sales.

With the success of the Nintendo Classic Edition, there is clearly a market for classic games. I thought that Nintendo could develop an app that would be similar to the Wii's virtual console. Maybe offer a popular game as a part of the free app, and IAPs for the other games themselves.

It would be a win for both Apple and Nintendo. Although, I guess there is a chance that it may cannibalize some of Nintendo console sales.

I guess this is wishful thinking.

I wish I knew what Nintendo was thinking. I wanted to get three NES classics as Chrismas gifts this year. This was specifically because of the strength of Nintendos retro catalog. When I couldn't find them I figured I could just get them 3DS for a little more. Nope. Can't buy those either. Then I remembered that the now discontinued Wii U has a virtual console as well. Little more expensive, and potentially to complicated for the users I was shopping for. Didn't matter though because everyone here is also sold out. If Nintendo's back catalog was on the aTV4 I would got those and a stack of gift cards. I just checked while posting this, and everyone near me is still out of stock.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I've been searching eBay and other sites for weeks trying to get a decent AppleTV controller for ~$20/ea. No interest in a full price Nimbus, nevermind the SideKick here.

The Stratus is stuck on iOS 9 compatibility and Steelseries won't update it. They made my controller worthless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.