Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kanex today made its GoPower Watch, one of the first MFi-certified portable batteries for Apple Watch, available for purchase for $99.95. The cordless, portable 1A/3.70V charging solution has a built-in 4,000 mAh lithium-ion battery that can charge an Apple Watch up to six times before it needs to be recharged itself.

Kanex-GoPower-Watch.jpg

GoPower Watch has a built-in magnetic charging puck, the same one that comes with the Apple Watch, and a USB port for simultaneously charging an iPhone with a Lightning cable. It has pass-through charging while connected to power via Micro-USB, meaning that Apple devices charge first, and then the battery pack recharges.

To charge an Apple Watch or iPhone, simply press the button on the front of the GoPower Watch. The LED indicator displays battery levels and charge status.

GoPower Watch is available in Space Gray for $99.95 on Kanex's website. The portable battery works with all 38mm and 42mm Apple Watch models.

Article Link: Kanex's 'GoPower Watch' Portable Battery for Apple Watch Now Available for $100

Reactions: ipedro

Stpike2001

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
USA
For some reason this reminded me of the 80's when people walked around with a brick attached to their mobile phone. seems a bit ridiculous.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How is this supposed to be better than Apple's charger plugged into any old power brick? You still have to dismount the watch from your wrist and place it on this charger? You'd also have to carry the charging cable for the charger around.

If I could somehow wear the watch and the charger at the same time elegantly (like an iPhone Mophie), then we are talking....

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
This seems like a really niche product. My Apple Watch lasts almost 2 days for me. I charge it nightly and I have absolutely no issues. I'm not sure when I'd actually need a product like this. A camping trip?
My watch burns out after 6 hours because my iPhone is not close enough to my iWatch to keep bluetooth active. So, it sends out battery-draining signals. I cant carry my iPhone with me at work but my iWatch yes. so, I often find the Watch battery dead

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
The idea is that you pack this when you're traveling instead of bringing the Watch cable plus power brick. The advertised six full charges could last you ten days. It's one less thing to find an outlet for and the unit will pack more compactly than the long cable that comes with the Watch.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This seems like a really niche product. My Apple Watch lasts almost 2 days for me. I charge it nightly and I have absolutely no issues. I'm not sure when I'd actually need a product like this. A camping trip?
This product is for heavy travelers. I suppose people that travel a lot would just purchase an extra watch charging cable but every time I go anywhere for more than a day, I forget my cable and wish I had it. I suppose this solves that problem providing you remember to bring this. As a less frequent traveler, it should also be about $49 for me to consider it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
How is this supposed to be better than Apple's charger plugged into any old power brick? You still have to dismount the watch from your wrist and place it on this charger? You'd also have to carry the charging cable for the charger around.

If I could somehow wear the watch and the charger at the same time elegantly (like an iPhone Mophie), then we are talking....
I'd be into something that attaches to the bottom of the watch. Considering how small the internal battery is I would venture an add-on battery could be done with 1.5-2x the capacity of the internal and add maybe 2-3 millimeters. I could live with that to charge up during the day. The add-on battery could live in a small case in my pocket till it is needed, perhaps on my keyring.

As for the Kanex thing, I can see that useful only in certain situations. You don't need to carry its charger if you are going to only need it for a week or so. But if I am going to carry something like that I'd already have a charger for my phone (et al), so might as well take the AW charger too.

Mike

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I find the fact that something like portable battery is needed for a Watch ridiculous.

IMO the only smartwatch done right is Pebble. The rest are just cheap copies.

Reactions: eriksmoe and Sylvan

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My watch burns out after 6 hours because my iPhone is not close enough to my iWatch to keep bluetooth active. So, it sends out battery-draining signals. I cant carry my iPhone with me at work but my iWatch yes. so, I often find the Watch battery dead
Many people have this issue. Further proof that Apple Watch is not ready for prime time. It's for gadget lovers with patience.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Maybe I'm missing the appeal here? I have a 10,000 mAh battery pack that can dual charge my phone and watch for $20. The only benefit of this thing that I can think of is that it eliminates the dangling cord for the watch. And I can't see that alone justifying the steep price.

Seriously: am I missing something?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Maybe I'm missing the appeal here? I have a 10,000 mAh battery pack that can dual charge my phone and watch for $20. The only benefit of this thing that I can think of is that it eliminates the dangling cord for the watch. And I can't see that alone justifying the steep price.

Seriously: am I missing something?

This is ideal for travel. My Apple Watch charger cable is on a dock next to my bedside table. When I travel, I have to disassemble the dock to bring the cable with me, along with 2 power bricks and a lightning cable for my iPhone. You can just throw this in your travel bag and go. 6 charges is more than enough for the typical 1 week vacation and ideal for business travellers who are constantly going away for short 2 or 3 day trips.

Reactions: rbrian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.