Kansas bans gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 6, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This will probably get moved to the Political Forum by the way.

In the end it does not surprise me. I can only hope that SCOTUS gets a case that decides that ll are created equal means just that. For many of us the Gay marriage issue is not about the churches, but the rights and privileges given to those that can marry. Inheritance rights, hospital visitation/medical decision rights, and so many other things that many take for granted.

A personal experience is with my lover and myself. If we were a straight couple, when he lost his job, I could have added him to my insurance as a "life changing event". Now he is a drain on the healthcare system.

The problem as I see it is that the government uses the word "marriage" as does the churches. And if marriage is so sacred, then why is it so easy to get a divorce in the US? And if marriage is to bolster "procreation", then why give any benefits to those couples that remain childless?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly-I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand. Unless they do understand and just don't like us.

4. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Good for Kansas, at least they actually still have some morals left...

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm in support of gay marriage, but I seriously hope that the federal courts do not overturn this. It will very likely lead to a serious push for a constitutional amendment to end gay marriage.

I don't see why federal courts should have any authority here: states have always had authority to decide who can be married.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This is going to get ugly, isn't it?

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, I agree with you. However, I find it disturbing that people can just vote other people's rights out of existence. These laws set bad precedent and no one even sees it.

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

I hope this is meant to be a joke although it seems unlikely.

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Damn. I was so hoping to get hitched in the wonderful city of Topeka.

Serioiusly, though, I'm glad I'm no longer a threat to the marriages of the people of Kansas. I was insidiously planning on destroying each and every one of them by enjoying the rights granted by a simple social contract. Foiled, once again.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sadly, I think you're right.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

LoL, yes good for the people of Kansas :rolleyes:

seriously im pro gay marriage and things like this i just dont understand, but i think the reason they end up being passed is because of the voting block in these states, im sure that there are penty of people who could have helped to make this not become a law, but just didnt vote.....

12. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

No it's not a joke - But I'll try to keep the thread from getting ugly. I simply feel strongly against the whole gay marriage thing. It's not like we're segregating gays like we did blacks - if you really must be that way, go ahead - but just don't get married. There's absolutely no reason to get so upset about the whole thing.

The way I see it, all this publicty about gays and such has an adverse effect on the children of today, and as a result sadly it seems it's spreading among todays youth. That's for another thread though -

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What part of the Constitution do you not understand? Or do you support the Bible that ownership of slaves is OK? Times, and view points change.

Morals has led to to the corrupt political system that we have today. We have the likes of DeLay raping the political system for everything that it has, as long as he can be "protected" by his party faithful. We see GWB having town-hall meetings on SS, that eliminate any opposition, even based on simple bumper stickers on a participants car.

We are to be a nation free FROM religion. The only debate that I have seen seems to support the idea of a "religious" "marriage". Any social/government arguments for marriage, fit religious concepts.

You want a Constitutional Convention? Then bring it on! Neither you or I may like the results.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Federal courts have a bigger interest in protecting Constitutional law.

I say let them pass a Constitutional amendment on the gay issue. I hope that I will not be the only one to truly leave, not that I am not looking at options right now.

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No, you don't get it. It's not "marriage" per se that they're fighting for the right to have, it's the right to receive marriage benefits and rights that couples get. Call it civil union or whatever you like, they should have equal rights as citizens of the United States, not denied of things that others can obtain because they happen to be gay.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you read ChipNoVaMacs post? If you did, you know why it so important to us.

The way I see it, all this publicty about gays and such has an adverse effect on the children of today, and as a result sadly it seems it's spreading among todays youth. That's for another thread though -[/QUOTE]

If I had the resources available to me when I was a kid like they have today, I might not have attempted suicide as teenager, due to the fear that I thought if people knew, they'd hate me. We don't get recruited or seduced. We just are this way.

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

What kind of adverse effect are you talking about? It's spreading? I really really hope that you are joking, or you will come up as a very ill-informed person.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You seemed to miss important parts of your history classes.

In many states it was illegal for a black to marry a white. And as long at the government gives rights to those that are married over those that are not, then we are at odds.

So are you ready to give up all legal rights/benefits as a man and women for taxes, inheritance, insurance, and so many other things? If so, I say bring it on! Lets have you spend thousands of dollars to do legally what the law allows to do with simple forms.

I say fine, let your wife loose her job and you not able to put her on your insurance. I say fine to your wife's family to be able to contest any will on the basis that you are not blood. I say fine that your wife's family wants her buried in the family plot of theirs, but you want her in your two's plot. I say lets bring back the racist/bigoted good old days.

19. mpw Guest

Doesn't say much for the people of Kansas does it. Dorothy would be disappointed.

I can't believe that in today's world people still don't believe that people should be treated equally. America just dropped another rung in my estimations. :(

20. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Oh no, I know what the scientific world thinks of it. Gays are supposedly born that way - I don't buy it though. I've seen way too many normal, very much straight people go gay for no apparant reason.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thank the RNC and their hate mongering. Despise anything that is different is their motto. As long as WalMart can create a new class of the working poor, everything is OK. As long as the oil barons can make it on the backs of the working poor , everything is OK. As long as we allow illegal immigrants across our borders to keep wages down, everything is OK. As long as GWB's "pioneers" can have influence over the working poor, everything is OK.

So in the last 5 to 67 years, I guess everything is OK.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? I've never met any. And I live in Chicago. (Thank God)

23. brap macrumors 68000

:eek:

Wow. That's offensive on so many levels, congratulations!

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

Try to look at it from a logical way, if it can be "influenced" to go the other way, wouldn't it be much much much more easier to get a gay person to go to the other side since there are so many straight people in the world plus the fact that acceptance is there. Why in the world would gay people want to choose to suffer, be alienated, discriminated and be different?

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you.